Thijs

N3 switching to canopy mode in freefall

Hi,
I have a Neptune N3 which I bought in 2011.
When wingsuiting, it quite often goes in canopy mode (showing the altitude in 4 digits, instead of just 2), while I'm still in free fall.
It makes it for me a lot harder to read the correct altitude.

Does anyone know of a way to prevent this?

Hi Thijs,

N3 switching from free fall to canopy display is strictly a function of vertical speed, which in that device is measured through changes in pressure.

Using pressure alone as a measuring stick, there is no way for N3 to distinguish between a slow-falling wingsuiter or a fast-diving canopy pilot.

If your vertical speed on your WS jumps wanders back and forth across that internal tipping point, you may see N3 displaying altitude from the canopy screen. Accuracy and logging should not be affected.

Great question! Hope this was informative.
Alti-2, Inc. Staff

This happens to me in free fall as well. Very annoying and I have it mounted on my wrist. The N3 has sometimes gone into canopy mode due to people standing at the door and causing pressure changes in the plane. I've been patiently waiting for a software update to fix this but nothing has been released in years.