ltdiver

SOCaL "Radar Bate"!

Spent the most awesome 2 days doing video for the elite group of skydivers "Pieces of Eight" this weekend. (For those of you who don't know about this group they are amputee skydivers, now 21 in number, ranging from the U.S., Russia, Holland, and Australia so far). Great group of guys and now, for the first time, one woman! She qualified as POE #21 today! Congratulations Amy Plagge from Minnesota and new member, #20, Mark Billings from Washington!!)
Picture of the group here:
http://www.perriscam.com/Images3/dse00250.JPG
Anyway...back to the story. After our very first jump today at Perris, we were met with the most amazing news upon landing! Seems that right after exit, SOCaL picked us up on radar and contacted the Rob, the pilot, and reported to him that there was traffic directly below him! Huh? Oh...! That's the group I just dropped, he reported!
Must be too much metal in the air at one time and SOCaL picked it up on radar! :-o The group's new name now? "Radar Bate" (compliments of Don Simonds).
LMAO!!
ltdiver

Hey, Lori - that's a great picture of you! (The one which shows up when I click). I saw the PO8 photos on the Perris webcam.
That's really funny, though, them getting picked up by radar.
I am sooooo jealous - looks like still another week or so before I can pitch out into the air again. Sigh. Go have a jump for me!
Ciels-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

"Picture of the group here:"

Hey, is that Bob Clark in that pic (Back row, Tall w/a beard)? Sure looks like him (but looks like he's gained some weight). If it is, That guy is absolutely badass, Pam & I have made a few jumps with him & he flies just as good or better with that one leg than anyone I've ever seen.... and he's a Hell of a nice guy too. B|
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Bob Clark is hands-down the nicest guy you'll ever meet in the sport. His wife Judy is just as incredible as he is. Her idea of fun at the young age of 50-60 is to start with the rear wheel of her bicycle in the Pacific and ride until her front tire touches the Atlantic. They are both great skydivers and a great couple.
Bob was always Mr. Advice when I was just starting out and I always thank him for that.
Kris

Holy shite!!. not 30 min ago we had a service tech from LA for our lasers up here and he said he was sitting on the plane with a guy who said he was out ther(in cal) with a group of amputee's (spelling) that skydive. He said (the tech) that he lost his right hand. I wonder if it was one of the guys in that photo . What a small world!
jason

i met one of the guys from pieces of eight. he was up in the netherlands when we had the euro dz.com boogie up there. can't remeber the guys name but he was really nice and chated a while... maybe benw will remember his name i think he got one of his cards.......

"up my noooossseee"- wingnut, at first euro dz.com boogie

Yep, wingi, it was Ron Visser. Man, he was one funny guy. He was telling us about their trip to Australia where they opened the paralympics and all the crazy shit they got up to. He also explained how they grade people to see if they qualify to be in the pieces of 8 - the way he explained it was just as funny as hell! I remember him saying how the last time they had been at Perris they got to jump with the Golden Knights and afterwards the Knights thanked THEM for jumping with them - he said they were like 'the GOLDEN KNIGHTS are thanking US for jumping with THEM???' lol
I got the following off a web-site about them, it pretty much sums up their kick-ass attitude :

These guys are not handicapped, they just come with some assembly required !

/s
(the man who shoved the toothpaste up wingnut's nose at euro dz.com)