Torch690

Sabre 2 190 from 2002 - too old?

stayhigh

I know I'm guilty of doing the same, but that's how the market goes so, when in rome.

however it boggles my mind when I see 90's Raven reserve selling for 500 bucks, when all of the raven should be burned and never repacked again.

I don't care how much you love your raven, the thing sucks ass compare to reserve that were made after 2000.

My brother ground launched a old raven reserve off a mountain and landed perfectly...he had never skydived in his life etc .. so no experience at all.....and as for the micro ravens its probably people that start there flares way to early who knows....but blame the gear if u get hurt I suppose
FTMC

Torch690

Hello,

I am relatively new to the sport, and have about 70 jumps in 3 months. I have ordered a container, and am looking at a main parachute.

I have spotted a Sabre 2 190ft^2 which is from 2002. It is roughly $1250 with around 700 jumps on it and a new(er) lineset.

First (and main) question: has the Sabre 2 parachute changed in the last 12 years? I plan to have this parachute for at least this year and next year, before I downsize. While I would like to save the money, I am a little hesitant that the technology may have changed in the last decade, and considering that maybe I should spend a little more, and get a parachute that was manufactured within the last few years.

Secondly, according to the post, the brake line may be a little frayed from the alti strap. Is this normal? am I going to have to spend an additional $200 immedately to get new brake lines? (assuming fraying not too bad)

What should I keep in mind when looking at the possibility of purchasing this parachute?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

thanks very much!

-Dave

Before taking advice from others on packing, I'd take a close look at the packing videos that Performance Designs has developed over the years.

The method of packing in the videos is based on tens of thousands of jumps on those canopies by PD R&D jumpers, John LeBlanc (head designer for PD), sponsored athletes, company employees, tour reps and the PD Factory Team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhEHdKemr1M

Also you can send in that canopy to PD for a full inspection. They will tell you if there are any concerns or wear and determine it's airworthiness. If lower steering lines are needed they can install them.

Make an agreement with the seller to have him send it to PD. You pay for the inspection and then if it passes you pay to have it shipped to you after you pay him via Paypal. Instant payment. He can then give permission to PD to ship it to you.

If he does not want to let PD inspect the canopy then I would be concerned about the transaction and the actual condition of the canopy.

BTW, the Sabre 2 is arguably one of the best all around canopies in the sport.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

skez

***I know I'm guilty of doing the same, but that's how the market goes so, when in rome.

however it boggles my mind when I see 90's Raven reserve selling for 500 bucks, when all of the raven should be burned and never repacked again.

I don't care how much you love your raven, the thing sucks ass compare to reserve that were made after 2000.

My brother ground launched a old raven reserve off a mountain and landed perfectly...he had never skydived in his life etc .. so no experience at all.....and as for the micro ravens its probably people that start there flares way to early who knows....but blame the gear if u get hurt I suppose

................................................................................

Sarcasm alert!
Racism alert!
Grumpy old Master Rigger alert!
Most of the people who got hurt under Micro Ravens were stupid, fat, white men loading them twice as heavy as they were designed to handle. Remember that Ravens were designed back when F-111 fabric was the norm. Ravens were never designed to be loaded more than one pound per square foot.
Finally, the Micro Raven series was originally designed for tiny (think 120 pound) Japanese women.

***Hello,

I am relatively new to the sport, and have about 70 jumps in 3 months. I have ordered a container, and am looking at a main parachute.

I have spotted a Sabre 2 190ft^2 which is from 2002. It is roughly $1250 with around 700 jumps on it and a new(er) lineset.

First (and main) question: has the Sabre 2 parachute changed in the last 12 years? I plan to have this parachute for at least this year and next year, before I downsize. While I would like to save the money, I am a little hesitant that the technology may have changed in the last decade, and considering that maybe I should spend a little more, and get a parachute that was manufactured within the last few years. ...

................................................................................

Sabre 2 design has not changed significantly since they were introduced.

However, they have updated the line trim chart. I learned that the hard way while trying to re-line a Sabre 2-135. When the factory line kit did not match my old chart, I phoned the factory and Eric carefully explained that I should be using the Sabre 2-135 line trim chart Revision E, dated 2007.
Now it all makes sense!
The most notable difference is the Brake locking eye to toggle measurement. It was 20 inches on the old chart, but only 15 inches on the new chart. That makes sense, since few of my customers have arms as long as John LeBlanc and most of them asked me to shorten new factory steering lines by 5 inches.
Hah!
Hah!