UpstateBonehead

XXXL Helmet (Really and no kidding)

Hi all: Does anyone know of any brands/manufacturers who make a super large hard helmet? I'm a new student with 7 jumps and while I can manage to squeeze my giant melon (measures 25" around if I pull the tape VERY tight) into a soft fap hat, it just doesn't fit into any hard helmets at my local DZ. I've checked a few catalogs and the largest XL hemet I could find is listed as fitting up to a 23" noggin. I'm thinking I going to have to resort to strapping on a 5 gallon orange plastic Home Depot bucket. ;). If so, I'll be sure to post pictures!

Any advice or direction would be appreciated!
"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived." Willa Cather

The Homo Depot buckets will only run ya about $5.00, so there's an option.

I personally do not know of any that large, BUT - I know that a soft helmet (for kiteboarding/windsurfing) will. I've got a big head too, and I've tried some on that were big for me. The one I have is really plyable, so it may conform to you better. It's made by a company called Protec (http://protechelmet.com/).

Head (sorry - no pun intended) over to a local watersports store or kayak shop. Try them on. I love both of mine.

While they're not "hard" helmets, they do offer a reasonable amount of proection.

Let me know if it works for you. Best wishes.

I use an XXL but would also prefer an XXXL. Helmet sizing in this sport is ridiculous.. I usually take a M-L for helmets in other sports... A friend jumps a XXL or XL G3 with some of the lining taken out, may be an option.

Check out the Factory Diver by Skysystems USA, it is offered in XXXL. It is a full face helmet so I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for, but it is an option. They also mention custom sizing on some of their helmets (i.e. open face helmets), I'm not sure how big they can go with custom sizing, but you could contact them to find out details/pricing.

In the same boat as you, I've done a bit of research on this as none of the popular brands fit...

Open face:
http://www.skyshotdesign.us.com/ (just ordered the Evo in XXL, I'll let you know how it fits when it arrives)
http://www.tonfly.com/helmets_2419501.html (expensive, but sizes offered up to 63cm)
http://www.2kcomposites.co.uk/ff1-freefly-helmet-25-p.asp (up to 62cm)

For full face (I have the XL, fits my 62cm/24.5in head nice and snug after some breaking in - also offered in XXL):
http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000011/XL5525SL/FREEZR-MK2-HEADGEAR

JFish

Check out the Factory Diver by Skysystems USA, it is offered in XXXL. It is a full face helmet so I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for, but it is an option. They also mention custom sizing on some of their helmets (i.e. open face helmets), I'm not sure how big they can go with custom sizing, but you could contact them to find out details/pricing.

Fuck SkySystems! Hands down the worst customer service I've ever seen in my life. I paid for a helmet from them over a year and a half ago, they won't even return a phone call or email. Do not do business with that company unless you enjoy not having a helmet or your money.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Try on "retro" motorcycle helmets.
One of those low-profile helmets might fit.
Bell helmets were fashionable when I started jumping back during the 1970s. Too bad modern, full-face motorcycle helmets are too bulky for skydiving.
Then hockey helmets were fashionable skydiving wear for a few years.
French, leather "frap hats" were fashionable for a while, though I never expected them to carry anymore than my audible altimeter and keep my ears warm.
Then full-face down-hill ski helmets.
Then surf helmets. Sadly, most surf helmets do little more than carry your audible altimeter.

Bottom line, a variety of other sports have helmets that are suitable for skydiving. The best helmet is one that fits so comfortably that you are wearing it when you whack your head into a: door frame, planet, other skydiver, etc.

roostnureye

***Check out the Factory Diver by Skysystems USA, it is offered in XXXL. It is a full face helmet so I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for, but it is an option. They also mention custom sizing on some of their helmets (i.e. open face helmets), I'm not sure how big they can go with custom sizing, but you could contact them to find out details/pricing.

Fuck SkySystems! Hands down the worst customer service I've ever seen in my life. I paid for a helmet from them over a year and a half ago, they won't even return a phone call or email. Do not do business with that company unless you enjoy not having a helmet or your money.

I have no experience with Skysystems, I just saw they had an XXXL helmet available. If others have had problems with the customer service you might want to do some research before dealing with them, I can't vouch for the company at all.

roostnureye

I was keen on the C6 helmet. It looked like a great helmet to compete with the G3. But after seeing the way they've treated their pre-order customers; even if they had the helmets in stock, waiting to ship tomorrow I wouldn't buy one on principal now. I try to keep my money out of the pockets of companies who treat their customers like crap.