BigTom99

Negotiating first rig

I'm looking at buying my first rig and I had a couple of quick questions. I've searched the forums and come up with a bunch of things to look for, but I was curious about a couple of things.

If I'm buying a used rig from my DZ's gear store, how much room for negotiation is there, or is their listed price really "the price"? Specifically, the rig I'm looking at consists of the container ($2150) and a reserve ($950), I'll worry about the main and AAD later. Both are the right size/fit for me and the prices seem fairly reasonable according to my research, but is it worth throwing out a lowball offer for the set (say 2800-3000) or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks

Two things. First, this is not really a place to get advice on how to negotiate. Pricing and deal making is not what gets talked about here. That said, whether or not the gear dealer will negotiate likely depends a lot on how much demand there is for the gear for sale If it's been hanging around for a long time maybe the price is too high. If it's going to sell soon anyway, you will miss it. Like dealing for any other used item.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I agree with the others. Without knowing the age of the gear and the options it's impossible to know if the deal is a good. A relatively new Vector with magnetic riser covers, a Skyhook, spacer foam, a hook knife, an articulated harness, etc might be a good deal at 2100. A brand new Wings with similar options costs about the same.
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

I agree with the others. Without knowing the age of the gear and the options it's impossible to know if the deal is a good. A relatively new Vector with magnetic riser covers, a Skyhook, spacer foam, a hook knife, an articulated harness, etc might be a good deal at 2100. A brand new Wings with similar options costs about the same.

Therein lies yet another question/debate: Skyhooks.

Where can I find pros/cons on this topic? I'm just stating AFF, and would love to educate myself further. Reading these posts - to me - is about the best education one can ever get. Thank you guys for helping us Rookies... I know I certainly appreciate using your knowledge for my gain (and safety!).

You got it. It's a very decked out Vector 3 (Skyhook, articulated harness, stainless, and probably some more goodies now that I know what options to ask about).

But I wasn't asking about whether it was a deal, just whether gear shops are firm on their prices for used gear. I think I have a decent sense now. Thanks everybody.

Search the forums for skyhook. It has been widely discussed on the forums and you will find a wide range of opinions on the pros/cons of skyhook. Based on what I've read here, I think all the information/opinions on skyhook has already been posted. Nothing would be added to the discussion by adding new skyhook posts to this thread.

Another negotiating tactic that you might want to try if they aren't willing to budge on price is to ask them to throw in some extras. If there are any accessories that you need it doesn't hurt to ask if they can throw them in for free, the worst they can say is no. Even if you only end up with some gloves worth $30 it is better than nothing.