jws3

Slider Direction

I've been told that sliders with brass grommets go with the smooth end to the risers and ones with steel grommets go the other way. Does anyone know why this is?

I ask because I'm having issues with my slider coming down about 2/3 of the way, then getting stuck until I pump the brakes to get it down. Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-FCLFRNN4

It's a Troll 265 (BASE canopy) with a ZP nose but no vents freepacked into an accuracy rig. When I double checked my rigging, I noticed that the slider is on upside down (brass grommets with the smoother end towards the canopy). I'm wondering if flipping it over is likely to make any difference with the openings or if the slider direction conventions have more to do with long term wear or something.

I'm not extremely worried about it because I can get the slider the rest of the way down and the canopy still feels controllable before it comes all the way down, but I'd like to fix it if I can. If it's not the direction of the slider, does anyone have any ideas of what else might cause this? The canopy is also brand new so I'm wondering if brand new dacron might somehow produce more friction with the grommets than broken-in dacron. Thanks!

jws3

Yeah, but I'm asking why. What makes the slider act differently coming down the lines one way vs the other?

Nothing. Using the slider load tape down will cause the slider material to pull against the (weaker) thread, as opposed to against the much stronger load tape.

If you are ok replacing sliders on regular basis (unlikely on a BASE canopy), then go for it.

Yes sliders are always (as far as I have seen) assembled so that the reinforcement tape is on top, so that the air load on the fabric pushes it up against the tape.

That being said, what about the slider grommet orientation?

That sometimes varied for brass grommets, although my impression is that variation was more common in the early days, while now it has pretty much standardized on having the seam upwards. (Seam between the grommet and washer parts, that is). The question is still valid, why the difference for brass vs. stainless steel grommets?

"... I'm wondering if brand new dacron might somehow produce more friction with the grommets than broken-in dacron. Thanks!

.................................................................................

The difference between "new Dacron" versus "broken in Dacron" is minor. After 70 or 100 jumps, the thickest latex coating will start to wear off and the lines will feel a bit softer.

Risk increases after 400 jumps, when the Dacron starts to get fuzzy and hold a lot of desert grit. Then the rate of slider hang-ups and tension knots increases dramatically. Guess how I learned that???????
Hah!
Hah!
Hah!

HINT: when your suspension lines are fuzzier than your cat, order a new line kit!
Hah!
Hah!
Hah!