Lineset

Ripstop

Need to better define what your asking. ZP IS ripstop. Ripstop is a type of weave with stronger threads woven into the material. If you mean PIA-C-44378 type IV spec 0-3 cfm material, (i.e. exacta chute or F-111) as a patch on zp you can but not much reason to not patch it with ZP.

If you mean ripstop tape, which is ripstop nylon with adhesive you can try. It fell out of use by most folks, maybe because we learned how to sew a patch easier. I haven't tried it but it likely won't stick very well to th coating.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Structurally, sticky ripstop tape is the same as most parachute fabrics.
For small patches, the difference is porosity is insignificant. Two layers of sticky ripstop tape will be pretty much ZP.
In the long run, we ask about durability. Back when cheapos (military-surplus canopies) were already pretty porous, we used any cloth tape that was handy. Duck tape, gun tape, etc. really didn't matter until you had dozens of patches, then the increase in bulk made it difficult to insert the fourth ripcord pin.
Durability of sticky rip-stop patches is really only a problem at dusty DZs. At dusty DZs, the adhesive holds grit at the edge of the patch, eventually "sanding" more holes in the original fabric.

When someone asks for ripstop I know they want the sticky stuff. I rounded off all the corners to stop the edges lifting off .Used a lot of ripstop back in the 70-80,s , mainly on burn holes . Most jumpers had a roll in their bags .So when I started asking for some ripstop boy did I get some blank looks

on top of all that has been said so far, sticky ripstop tends not to stick very well to modern ZP canopies.
If you are worried about those small nicks in your canopy go and have a chat with your rigger, they will set you straight!

Yeah ripstop tape may stick OK on well worn older ZP, but isn't any good on newer ZP. Some people stick a patch on, then sew it down so it actually holds. That's both quick and secure, good for minor holes.

Others prefer that if there's a patch, it'll be done "the right way", and spend the time to do the formal rigger style patch with cut out fabric, folded edges, etc. Which looks better if the canopy is sold but on the other hand makes it look more damaged in the first place.

Hi Peter,

Which looks better if the canopy is sold but on the other hand makes it look more damaged in the first place.

I cannot say that I have patched more canopies than some dz-based riggers have, but I've done my share.

A proper patch will look tons better than any 'ripstop-for-now' type of patch.

IMO one has to accept that the canopy has been damaged. Now, decide what is the proper way to repair it; and make it look acceptable.

Just my $0.02,

JerryBaumchen

PS) IMO ripstop tape is one of the worst things that the parachute industry ever discovered.