binaryfinary

Voodoo Curv Vc2 & Pilot 168 ZPX fit

Hi all,

can anyone please advise on this:

http://rigginginnovations.com/Pages/Containers/CurvVolumeChart.pdf
RI's website states that the VC2 can pack a main up to 400 cu in

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/pilottech.asp
Aerodyne's website states a Pilot 168 at 416 cu in. therefore in ZPX fabric, that volume should be around 17% smaller at approx 345 cu in

any VC2 owners out there, please share your experience :)
many thanks!

If it helps, I have a new VC3 and Pilot 168 ZPX - about 35 jumps on both.
Two things I noticed:
- I first picked the rig up in Denver which is bone dry and about 5500 feet. It was a bit of battle getting it into the bag there. That situation improved significantly when I brought it home to the humid sea level air in Sydney.
- after about a dozen jumps, it started packing down a good bit easier.

It's packing down now to the point of being on the soft and loose end of the range. I asked RI about this and they attributed my results to the dry hot air at Eloy where they test pack and measure up canopies vs. the humid conditions where I pack plus I am a bit of a neat freak when packing. I reckon I could get it into a VC2 without much hassle, but I can't test that since Curvs are very rare here still. But more importantly for me, I'm happier having the VC3 because I wouldn't be confident with the idea of only having a 140 max reserve size allowed by the VC2 at this point. I can't offer advice about that. Have you considered and discussed it with an instructor?

Based on the photo I showed them (attached), RI suggested to ditch the ZPX when I decide to downsize to a 150 and go back to standard ZP.

Anecdotally, we've had 2 almost brand new 168 ZPX canopies side by side. Mine is predominantly white material vs. predominantly black of the other one. It may be due to other factors (batch of material etc.) but the white material feels noticeably softer and more pliable than the black and appears to pack easier although I suspect the other dude is a lousy packer :P

Thanks both! what reserves are you guys using? and i jump in the same region given i live in Singapore so will prob have the same level of humidity as you guys.

Npower: the pic you attached thats the VC3 Dbag with the 168 ZPX?

Oh and on the reserve, am asking if the optimum or nano 160s could fit given these also use low vol fabric.

im researching on this given that from what ive read, containers usually accept 3 sizes. you can pack the standard size it was designed for or go 1 size up or 1 size down. therefore, i would like to find out if the VC2 config with 168zpx is at the tighter end of this range.

and yes, im actually tabulating all options available including other rigs/canopies...etc and i plan to discuss them with my instructors before making any decisions.

Thanks again!

Yep, that's the VC3 with the 168ZPX in the bag.

I have an Optimum 160 in the VC3 and it is definitely on the full and firm side. The reserve tray on the VC2 has double the volume reduction compared to the main tray (50 in3 vs. 25 in3). For me, that would be a source of concern about the reserve free bag hesitating or jamming with an OP-160 in there when I need it most, especially if the main tray is also tight. Ask Angela at Rigging Innovations. Only RI can accurately tell you what the intended size range is for each size Curv. She was very helpful with this stuff and previously packed the canopies I planned to use plus a bunch of others into the VC3. She gave me a lot of clarity and confidence about my choices.
Happy hunting!

I doubt it would fit...I've found RI to be pretty size specific...and there is less wiggle room given that the closing loop is on the flap instead of in the tray.

You're trying to jam canopies in an entire size bigger than the chart lists (both main and reserve)...and the guy above already notes that the OP160 is snug in his VC3.

Call / email them after 6 Jul when they reopen. They're very helpful.

When I ordered from them I told them what canopies were going in and they picked the size. Easier that way; they know what they're doing.

You're not going to get the tiny, sexy rig with 170s.

riggerrob

Container manufacturers publish the most accurate compatibility numbers.
Canopy manufacturers publish less accurate volume numbers.

... and in the case of RI and the Curv chart, they publish what they have actually packed themselves.
Remster

if it is too tight, you are not gonna have fun time packing it.

and some packer will straight up refuse to pack em. Unless you pay like 10 bucks per pack job.

and to all of you who uses ZPX material. How are they holding up after 500 jumps??
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I bought a brand new VC3 and ZPX pilot 168, with an optimum 160 reserve at the start of the season (2 months in currently). I have put about 60-70 jumps on it now. When I first started packing the rig it was rough, barely able to get it in the bag with the new slippery material and I am a pretty good packer. In answer you your question - if it's a brand new canopy, I would say no it will not fit in a VC2. After 50 jumps and in humid conditions? I would say it's possible. Good idea? probably not, RI will tell you it is not compatible sizing for a VC2.

just for reference, i have a vc1 with a pdr 126 in the reserve tray. the vc1 is built for a 120 main.

i currently have a pilot 132, non-zpx, with hma 700 lineset in my VC1. it BARELY fit in, and i actually slightly lengthened the closing loop. its now to the point where it fits in nice and relaxed, yet snug, but thats if i pack extremely tediously.
gravity brings me down.........

I have a Vc1. My first main in it was a Sabre2 120 and it fit pretty well like RI said it would. I downsized from that to a Velo 103 (packs the same size as the 120 per PD) with only 3 jumps on it and THAT was a major PITA at first, but now it fits like a glove. I also bought RI's new semi-stowless bag. VERY NICE piece of gear.

RI is spot on with their packing chart. I'd definitely give them a call tomorrow and talk to Sandy or Angela. Hell, anyone will do over there. Great manufacturer.

binaryfinary

Angela from ri told me 168zpx will not fit into the vc2.

I'm waiting on an AAD for a VC3 and Nano 160. RI built the rig for a Fusion 150 and advised me to get the VC3.

When you scale down the cubic inches for ZPX fabric, bear in mind that while the material may take up 17% less space the reinforcing tapes and lines do not scale down.

hokierower

I have a Vc1. My first main in it was a Sabre2 120 and it fit pretty well like RI said it would. I downsized from that to a Velo 103 (packs the same size as the 120 per PD) with only 3 jumps on it and THAT was a major PITA at first, but now it fits like a glove. I also bought RI's new semi-stowless bag. VERY NICE piece of gear.

RI is spot on with their packing chart. I'd definitely give them a call tomorrow and talk to Sandy or Angela. Hell, anyone will do over there. Great manufacturer.

RI's website says the Vc1 is for a 135?

http://www.rigginginnovations.com/Pages/Containers/CurvVolumeChart.pdf