npgraphicdesign

Suggestions for a main/reserve combo?

Currently I'm flying a Triathlon 210, with a Raven II 218 reserve. Vector 2 container. Both the container and reserve are over 20 years old, and several packers already told me the wouldn't feel comfortable repacking the reserve and calling it 100% air-worthy.

Which brings me to my next question. I got a Rigging Innovations Talon container from a fellow skydiver, which fits a 190main/176 reserve. Any suggestions on canopies? I have 15-20 jumps on Sabre2 190, so that won't be a huge downsize from the Tri210. Any suggestions on a reserve to go along with a Saber2 190? Any other 190 canopy recommendations would be welcomed as well.

npgraphicdesign

Currently I'm flying a Triathlon 210, with a Raven II 218 reserve. Vector 2 container. Both the container and reserve are over 20 years old, and several packers already told me the wouldn't feel comfortable repacking the reserve and calling it 100% air-worthy.

Well, maybe you should go to a rigger instead ;)
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

For the reserve if you don't want to downsize your reserve 2 sizes in one fell swoop you could look for a low-bulk option like the Optimum or Nano, which would allow you to get a 193 in there.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Deyan

***Currently I'm flying a Triathlon 210, with a Raven II 218 reserve. Vector 2 container. Both the container and reserve are over 20 years old, and several packers already told me the wouldn't feel comfortable repacking the reserve and calling it 100% air-worthy.

Well, maybe you should go to a rigger instead ;)

Doh. I'm an idiot. I meant 'rigger' :S:P

That 20 year limit was originally written to ground all the round reserves from the acid mesh era. Since the last acidic round reserve was made about 1986, they should all be scrapped by now.
20 years is also a reasonable limit on harnesses and containers. If they are jumped on a regular basis, they will be faded, frayed and filthy after 20 years.
The other problem is different generations of reserves fly differently. For example, many modern skydivers are shocked when their 7-cell reserves do not turf-surf as far as their 21-cell handkerchiefs!
Ina worst-case scenario, you get a fat young skydiver cutting away his 66 square foot main and wondering why his Micro Raven 120 does not flare as gracefully. Hint: Ravens were never designed to be loaded more than 1 pound per square foot and they were never designed to be jumped by stupid, fat white men.
In conclusion, anyone who expects a tiny Raven to flare as gracefully as a Velocity 77 is ... "poorly-educated."

In Australia a parachutes australia talon container has a 20year lifespan...yet a rigging innovation talon doesn't have any limit I have both types of containers they are the same..so a unused pa talon in perfect condition becomes worthless in 20years even if it has 0jumps makes no sense especially when pa has the 20year rule on everything except for there reserve canopies
FTMC