melathechamp

Reserve pilot chute stuck

I agree with you, I think this should be communicated to the jumpers. I would obviously not have jumped my rig if I knew the rigger didn't know how to pack.

Googling his name led me to a report from the Norwegian Air Sports Federation where it was written that the rigger had lost his license based on several misrigged reserves. However, I would never do that without knowing what I now know.

I suggested publishing the serial numbers of all packed rigs and communicating this to dropzones or via e-mail to jumpers etc, should this happen again.

It must be stated that the federation is handling it professionally, and hopefully it would lead to a change in the routines.

This may be off topic, but I think the root cause of a lot of these incidents is that gear is designed more with fashion in mind rather than functionality. That is, the market wants really tiny containers and the manufacturers respond by selling containers that fit tightly and are difficult to pack correctly. There is no good reason your rig needs to be narrower than the widest part of your back and shorter than your hips. Buy a container that spreads the bulk out over your back and you will have a nice, soft container that is easy to pack.

Dutton

This may be off topic, but I think the root cause of a lot of these incidents is that gear is designed more with fashion in mind rather than functionality. That is, the market wants really tiny containers and the manufacturers respond by selling containers that fit tightly and are difficult to pack correctly. There is no good reason your rig needs to be narrower than the widest part of your back and shorter than your hips. Buy a container that spreads the bulk out over your back and you will have a nice, soft container that is easy to pack.

You do realize this was a G4 M7, right? That's the second largest size Mirage they have listed. I don't believe this combination would've been hard to pack properly either, even for a rookie rigger.

It also had nothing to do with being too narrow, as a matter of fact, had it been more narrow, this probably wouldn't have been as easily done.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

We ran into this problem with Flexons 25 years ago. The problem started with a narrow spring and riggers pulling too much of the free-bag over the pilot-chute cap. I wrote the solution in the Talon 2 manual. Unfortunately, I lost the argument over whether we should include a photo of the solution. A year later, the editor phoned to apologize for deleting the photo after the Canadian Army complained about poor pilot-chute launches.

The solution involved compressing the pilot-chute and pulling the side flaps over then inserting a packing paddle and rotating it to clear loose free-bag fabric away from the the pilot-chute cap.
I have encountered the same problem with Vector, Mirage, Talon 2, Flexon, Aviator, etc. Before you close the top flap, peek inside to ensure that the pilot-chute cap is clear.