The111

How to prevent brake release via slider, yet still allow slider pulldown?

Hellis

No that is not all you said, you first said ALL risers with 50+ jumps can't hold the brakes in place then you changed it to Icon.

I do not believe many linetwists start with a brakerelease either.
Looking from the ground you can clearly see when you have a brakerelease or just normal linetwists.
I believe most linetwists are due to packing and bodyposition.

It seems this is a local problem as others to has wrote they don't have any problems with their 50+ jumps risers.
Maybe it's something with how you are thought to set the brakes in your area.
And I'm serious, nobody else seems to have an issue with in my opinion "almost brand new gear".

You really need to read my first post one more time. Then keep in mind that I'm responding to the OP who happens to have an Icon risers. I don't know why you have that idea that I mean any new risers with 50 jumps will have that problem. Read my first post again.

P.S. People around know how to set their half brakes ;)
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Might try installing the PD riser "hats" ... they make it more difficult for the slider to fall past the line attachment on opening, but they're easy to pull the slider past. Can probably get them for free from your local rigger or gear shop, too.
Brian

voilsb

Might try installing the PD riser "hats" ... they make it more difficult for the slider to fall past the line attachment on opening, but they're easy to pull the slider past. Can probably get them for free from your local rigger or gear shop, too.

Yeah, those are what I mentioned having on my first rig. I think I might even have a spare set somewhere. I thought they were so stiff though that they totally prevented pull past. Good to know that's not the case. Thanks Brian. That would definitely be preferable to swapping my entire risers out.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

RMURRAY

agree with some here... racer riser/toggles are bullet proof

I work for the company and some might call me biased but yea you pretty much summed it up for me. 1300 jumps on snap toggles and not a brake fire on my Racer Tandem or sport rigs.:)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

jumpwally

Why not ? would be helpfull....

the pin + 2 downwards tabs (exactly the PdF "recent" system) is unbeatable.
When I asked some long bearded manufacturer why he doesn't use the same he replied : It would be admitting that they are right.:D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I have managed to yank snap out of the place on snap toggles. I have replaced damaged snap (riser side) with new one. Now I am extra careful when unsnapping toggles from these risers. Remaining metal remains from snap makes a nice cutting device for your toggle line. :S

I tottaly agree with you. Only PdF makes those stupid reverse 3 ring. And they have a new set of problems (problems cutting away when reserve is out, problems cutting away from horseshue, problems with higer G's during cutaway, etc).

piisfish

When I asked some long bearded manufacturer why he doesn't use the same he replied : It would be admitting that they are right.:D

I have also seen some Sigma risers with the single snap missing, presumably because the narrow flanges on the snap didn't grip well enough and pulled through the material. Tandem risers of course get some sustained rough handling.

While I like the snap concept, there would be a bit of a technique to it, to make sure the snap goes into a hole that is just right for the two parts to clamp onto well.

the snaps on racer toggles do not see load at opening shock. On sigma to do seem to see some load. Like I said the racer toggles for me have been perfect. I pack lots of other rigs and about half I would not jump. a toggle fire can be the first of a chain of events. If it happens once fix it.

jerolim

I tottaly agree with you. Only PdF makes those stupid reverse 3 ring. And they have a new set of problems (problems cutting away when reserve is out, problems cutting away from horseshue, problems with higer G's during cutaway, etc).

the toggle system is the only thing I like about their rigs, together with th efact that they are quitting the sports market
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

voilsb

Finally got some of these installed. Haven't jumped it yet but they make it extremely difficult to pull slider past. So much so that I was able to do it on the ground but felt like I was tearing up the slink hats at the stitching. And when I pushed the slider back up, it actually inverted all the slink hats.

Will see how this plays out in the air. Maybe it's so tight on mine because I have Dacron lines. Worth a try still, but I feel like those covers are going to fall apart in a couple dozen jumps with how much strain I was putting on them.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Fast forward one year, and it happened again. B| Not cool at all.

Last summer after reading this thread I put slink hats on the risers as a temporary solution. However after several months it became obvious they were getting worn out from me pulling slider past them, and I was afraid before long they would not be able to do their job anymore. So I ordered some new risers and got them modded as suggested earlier in this thread. I got them in the mail just a few days before leaving for the boogie where I had this chop. :D So a little bit too late, but at least now I know for sure that I really need them, if I had any doubts remaining. Can't wait to put them on and try them out.

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Have you asked your rigger about adding extra stitching to the toggle-keeper pockets on your risers? It is logical that your particular risers may fit your toggles just a bit loose.

I had one of those pockets start to loosen up (over time and due to my noob incorrect brake stowing methods) and a few stitches on each side tightened it right up. No further toggle fires, no slider contradictions.

Have you thought about a removable slider? Not a full RDS just a removable slider. I have one from Lookma.de and it's excellent, the slider stops at the bumpers and you cut the material away from the rings and stash it in your jumpsuit
Rich M

sammielu

Have you asked your rigger about adding extra stitching to the toggle-keeper pockets on your risers? It is logical that your particular risers may fit your toggles just a bit loose.

I had one of those pockets start to loosen up (over time and due to my noob incorrect brake stowing methods) and a few stitches on each side tightened it right up. No further toggle fires, no slider contradictions.

Pretty much. Works like a charm. I had two different sets of RI risers that I constantly had to fiddle with.

UPT risers seem a bit better with the pin on the bottom (in the event that the toggle top pops) but I'll probably have the rigger add a few zips of thread up the pocket sides during the next repack.