Partie4evr

Noob needs help with sizing

Partie4evr

Hi my name is chris and I have a 2011 wings w14 . I know that it says a 190 is rec but would a pd 210 from 1996 fit in it ? I have a chance to get a great deal on one thanks for your help and have a great day :) blue sky's

Any container that is made for a 190ZP will fit a 210 PD F111 canopy. May be a little tight with dacron lines, but should still work.

I am making an assumption that you mean a PD 9 cell F111 210sq ft canopy.

Partie4evr

I do not know to much about it other than it has new lines and it's a pd 210 all the other writing is worn off.. But it does say 1996 so I'm assuming that's DOM do you know what year pd started with the F111 material ? Thanks for your help

I hope you didn't buy something that you weren't 100% sure of what it was ...

when in doubt - the side labels are a very good thing to look at on PD canopies.

Partie4evr

Ok thank you very much for your help I am 185 plus rig so it might be pushing the 1.1 a bit guess I'm gonna look for something else thanks again for your input blue sky's

Just so other newbies or somebody else doing a search knows--by the time an F-111 canopy is ready for a new lineset it is probably ready to be a car cover--not absolutely but F111 does not hold up for 2000 jumps or so like ZP generally does. by 500 jumps it has lost a lot of its flare power.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

they also make great handbags, stashbags, tablecovers, tapestries, and togas. if you are really nifty with your seamstress skills, you might be able to sew up a flashy wedding dress as well! and for our muslim friends out there, you could piece together a beautiful turban - one that says "im down to party, but i have my faith"
gravity brings me down.........

BIGUN

You will love the PD 210 F111. Nothing like tippy toe landings.

Until it gets worn out then crashes you into the ground regularly.

I've seen people hurt from jumping F-111 gear that's well past its prime. Hell - I've jumped F111 stuff that required multiple wraps to get even a weak flare.

Considering F-111 also tends to require a different flare style to ZP, and given that 99% of all second canopies are going to be a ZP one and therefore requires a bit of relearning, I'm not convinced second hand F-111 canopies are that good a choice for new jumpers any more.

yoink

***You will love the PD 210 F111. Nothing like tippy toe landings.

I've seen people hurt from jumping F-111 gear that's well past its prime. Hell - I've jumped F111 stuff that required multiple wraps to get even a weak flare.

Considering F-111 also tends to require a different flare style to ZP, and given that 99% of all second canopies are going to be a ZP one and therefore requires a bit of relearning, I'm not convinced second hand F-111 canopies are that good a choice for new jumpers any more.

Can you please remind us which material are all reserves and BASE canopies are made out of ?

Thanks !

In general, I would agree with you three. I super enlarged the pics provided and looked at the material, the stitching, tabs, tape, etc. Depending on the price; I wouldn't have any issues with this particular one.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

likestojump

******You will love the PD 210 F111. Nothing like tippy toe landings.

Can you please remind us which material are all reserves and BASE canopies are made out of ?

Thanks !

I dont have a problem with them for over 700 jumps I think he is just saying old f111 canopies are not the best option for newer jumpers.

btw my base canopy has over 500 jumps and lands just fine
BASE 1519

likestojump

******You will love the PD 210 F111. Nothing like tippy toe landings.

Thanks !

I think their biggest concern is the age. And, it should be a factor. And, whereas you & I would still jump a 1970's paracommander; there is some wisdom in warning noobies about old gear. The best best is to take it to a rigger for inspection.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

likestojump

Thanks !

I typed out a pissy reply to match yours, then thought better of it...

There's nothing wrong with F111 in the right condition and environment. My post didn't suggest otherwise and you could have seen that if you weren't so keen on scoring internet points.

In good condition, with limited jumps on it, on in a situation where you're not necessarily going to put hundreds of jumps a year on it then it's a great fabric.

But if you're buying F111 second hand you have to be aware of its limitations. With the prevalence of ZP now, we have to remind people of F111 specifics as it's just not as common, and probably isn't as available in the general knowledge base to beginners.

yoink

Thanks !

I typed out a pissy reply to match yours, then thought better of it...

There's nothing wrong with F111 in the right condition and environment. My post didn't suggest otherwise and you could have seen that if you weren't so keen on scoring internet points.

In good condition, with limited jumps on it, on in a situation where you're not necessarily going to put hundreds of jumps a year on it then it's a great fabric.

But if you're buying F111 second hand you have to be aware of its limitations. With the prevalence of ZP now, we have to remind people of F111 specifics as it's just not as common, and probably isn't as available in the general knowledge base to beginners.

yay !

So, do we all agree with these simple points regarding F111 canopies :

Still viable if the following specs are met :
* cheap
* low jumps (sub 500ish can be a generic recommendation)
* not loaded over 1.0

Benefits of F111 canopy (if all above points are met) :
* extremely easy to pack.
Laugh at all those people at the DZ who got new ZP wings and are refusing to do hop-n-pops just so "they don't waste a packjob"
* CHEAP !
* great learning tool for how to land your reserve

Any other points ?