SPAWNmaster

What are these marks on link protectors?

I have a 2013 microsigma with under 100 jumps that has developed these weird black marks on the rapide link protectors. I haven't noticed them till just today. What are these? It looks glazed over...

There are no corresponding markings on the lines (new vectran) and the links themselves look fine. The slider itself is unmarked and being new as well is of course in fine condition. The grommets are smooth and appear to me to be set normally.

The first picture is a closeup. The second picture (excuse my packer for getting smart with the camera) shows the markings on the front of the slider/link protectors of the rear risers...the markings are on the other side of front risers. Essentially it looks like the markings are showing up on the "outside" of the protectors (behind the rears and in front of the fronts if that makes any sense).

That's about as much detail as I can give right now after a busy day at the DZ.

Those greyish black marks are iron oxide rubbing off the stainless steel slider grommets.
When stainless steel oxidizes ("rusts" to rednecks) it produces a grey or black dust. That dark dust is harmless to harnesses and suspension lines.