propblast

Protrack-randomly going off today

Maxx

Change the batteries.

You would think that right. Well in other news the batteries in it are only 5 weeks old .

It has also dumped my jumps and in the last 5 days logged 240+ jumps from 3500 with a opening altitude of 600 feet. Something isn't right. Guess I'll be calling L&B. uess anyone has seen this becore
Propblast

propblast

***Change the batteries.

You would think that right. Well in other news the batteries in it are only 5 weeks old .

It has also dumped my jumps and in the last 5 days logged 240+ jumps from 3500 with a opening altitude of 600 feet. Something isn't right. Guess I'll be calling L&B. uess anyone has seen this becore

Are you sure you have the right batteries in it? Other sizes will fit well enough to turn on but create all sorts of weird errors.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Southern_Man

******Change the batteries.

Are you sure you have the right batteries in it? Other sizes will fit well enough to turn on but create all sorts of weird errors.

How is that possible ?
Batteries power up circuits.
all majorly available (CRxxxx nomenclature) Lithium button batteries are 3V DC, with the only difference being the Amperage (capacity) and obviously the size.
I would make a well-educated guess that putting in a lower capacity battery will just cause the unit to act normally, but won't last as long as the recommended CR2330 size.

My best guess to OP's problem is circuitry problem, most likely either in the part the reads the barometric pressure or in the pressure sensor itself. I would recommend contacting L&B, and very much doubt that there's a McGuyver solution to this.

Well in other news the batteries in it are only 5 weeks old

I replaced the batteries in mine and they didn't last a couple of days before my pro track said they needed replacing again. In the end I ended up buying the Renata brand that were the ones recommended from L&B. Perhaps other brands don't supply so much current or the battery internal resistance was too high. Still, it didn't do weird stuff like yours. :( I am sure L&B will sort you out :)

likestojump

*********Change the batteries.

How is that possible ?
all majorly available (CRxxxx nomenclature) Lithium button batteries are 3V DC, with the only difference being the Amperage (capacity) and obviously the size.
I would make a well-educated guess that putting in a lower capacity battery will just cause the unit to act normally, but won't last as long as the recommended CR2330 size.

My best guess to OP's problem is circuitry problem, most likely either in the part the reads the barometric pressure or in the pressure sensor itself. I would recommend contacting L&B, and very much doubt that there's a McGuyver solution to this.

I've used 'wrong'(lesser capacity/thinner size) kind of batteries and the only difference was that they lasted a shorter amount of jumps then the recommended batteries. Also I had to add filling in between the batteries to bridge the 1 mm cap to create a connection (I used CR-2325's which are 0.5 mm thinner then cr-2330).
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

************Change the batteries.

How is that possible ?

I've used 'wrong'(lesser capacity/thinner size) kind of batteries and the only difference was that they lasted a shorter amount of jumps then the recommended batteries. Also I had to add filling in between the batteries to bridge the 1 mm cap to create a connection (I used CR-2325's which are 0.5 mm thinner then cr-2330).

Yes, this is consistent w/ what I have seen. Batteries which are just a very slightly different size and then making an incomplete connection can cause the alarms to go on-off at odd times.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Maybe it's aliens... That would be my guess. While you were sleeping they came down and installed a tracking device in your pro track. Now they're trying to activate your anal probe with it. Just put on a tin foil hat and you should be safe. I would put some foil around the altimeter as well so they can't communicate with it. Hope this helps!
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Alexg3265

Maybe it's aliens... That would be my guess. While you were sleeping they came down and installed a tracking device in your pro track. Now they're trying to activate your anal probe with it. Just put on a tin foil hat and you should be safe. I would put some foil around the altimeter as well so they can't communicate with it. Hope this helps!

Super helpful.
Propblast

I'm not sure what the back of a Protrack looks like, but with my Solo II, I have found that you need to be very sure that you have properly seated the battery door cover, and that you have properly threaded and fully tightened the screw that secures it.

Shortly after changing batteries a short time ago I heard it beep a few times in my gear bag in the middle of the night. When I picked the unit up and looked very closely, when I squeezed on the door I could see a little movement/give. It was very subtle but enough to make the connection intermittent.

Before sending it in, check to make sure you have properly closed it up nice and tight with no give.

Edited to add:

I looked on their web site and I see they have an image of the battery door. It is different than the Solo II but in a way I could see it being even easier to have a poor connection with this design:

[inline LB_protrack02.jpg]

If these two screws are not even or threaded right I bet that door will be too loose to force a consistent connection.

likestojump

*********Change the batteries.

How is that possible ?

My guess is that likestojump is right and that it's an internal problem. That being said, (I troubleshoot electrical issues for a living) I would start from scratch first. Remove the batteries and throw them away. Yes they are new but I can't tell you how often I buy a brand new battery or light bulb or widget that has some kind of problem. Replace them with new ones. As you are doing this, look at all the parts and see if you can see anything that looks "off". Look for corrosion or marks on the parts that connect to the batteries. Look at the alignment of everything and see if everything is lining up right. Take a look at how it closes and make sure that when it is closed up everything looks well seated and secure. If none of that works, chances are that there is something with the circuitry or the sensing unit.

Ok serious answer now. The fact that it is logging jumps means that either one of two things is happening. Either the pressure in your house is changing up and down several times which is pretty much not possible, or the barometer seems to think the pressure is going up and down. I'd put my money that it's not the battery. Sometimes those barometers just go bad. Sometimes they get out of calibration. Basically it converts air pressure into an electrical signal that's read by the processing unit. There's not too many things that could cause it to read up and down and log jumps... The actual barometer unit is a sub $5 part. Maybe it's bad or got knocked loose, or like someone said, something's maybe corroded or something. I don't know if they're waterproof, but even heavy humidity can slowly distroy electronics. Contact the manufacturer.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Alexg3265

Ok serious answer now. The fact that it is logging jumps means that either one of two things is happening. Either the pressure in your house is changing up and down several times which is pretty much not possible, or the barometer seems to think the pressure is going up and down. I'd put my money that it's not the battery. Sometimes those barometers just go bad. Sometimes they get out of calibration. Basically it converts air pressure into an electrical signal that's read by the processing unit. There's not too many things that could cause it to read up and down and log jumps... The actual barometer unit is a sub $5 part. Maybe it's bad or got knocked loose, or like someone said, something's maybe corroded or something. I don't know if they're waterproof, but even heavy humidity can slowly distroy electronics. Contact the manufacturer.

Contacted the manufacture and there isn't a lot they can do as I have gotten many good years out of this thing. I don't blame them in the least as electronics are perishable. I have to say there response times are amazing.

Sad I used it solely as a log and it seems that it won't be able to do that anymore.

I guess I truly didn't need that info anyways as I still paper log everything.
Propblast