Empadinha

Grommet/Rubber band stain on Canopy

Hi all,

My VX (backup rig) was packed for almost a year. When I opened it today for a Reserve repack, I noticed the rubber stows melted and stained the canopy a bit with the gromets (they are stainless Steel, so not really sure who´s the culprit here).

Now I got 4 "donut shaped" stains on the top skin. Any way to remove it? Any fabric safe products I could try?

Thanks in advance and blue Skies.
When in Danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.

Store your rig in a dry cool place. I've never seen this with stainless grommets, but I have a Diablo with melted tube stow stains. The bad news is that as far as I'm concerned the stains are permanent. The good news is that they don't seem to have weakened the nylon.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Store your rig in a dry cool place. I've never seen this with stainless grommets, but I have a Diablo with melted tube stow stains. The bad news is that as far as I'm concerned the stains are permanent. The good news is that they don't seem to have weakened the nylon.

Thanks for the reply gowlerk. It was kept in my bedroom all times, but I guess this was not enough [:/]. From the colour I would say the rubber bands caused the stain, but why then it has the grommet´s shape? Maybe some Chemical reaction? go figure...

Hmmmmm... You probably don`t remember the day you last packed it. But is it possible it was a wet day and it got put away damp?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I do remember, it was sunny/cloudy (video´d a Tandem that day). This might shed some light into this topic:

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/why-do-rubber-bands-melt-and-disintegrate-as-they-age-and-how-does-uv-light-and-heat-speed-up-the-process/

It would be great if I could get rid of the stains though.. sucks.

likestojump

It would be great if I could get rid of the stains though.. sucks.

If they bother you that much you could always patch the canopy, but that seems a bit overkill.

Yeah, I think I´ll just get used to it... but thanks for all who replied!

Cheers!