Cathbern

YOUR perfect helmet ?!

Hi guys

I was just wondering, amongst all the helmets available, what features really matters to you?

Design,
Full face,
Open face,
Safety release
Camera friendly
Or else...

Thanks, I might have a little project in mind :P
Just Launched a Brand New Youtube Channel All About Skydiving!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXYd4K-SNSjeZqDZs9f78JQ
Facebook:https://www.fb.com/skydive.vibes/

I want full-face because I'm protective of my dental work during RW. But the Bonehead Revolve easily-removable face design intrigues me, for jumps that are lower risk. I have a Cookie G3, but would really like it to have the externally-accessible audible pocket like their Fuel model. A removable and washable liner is also ideal. I want more protection for my head, and would be willing to pay a premium to get it.

And my perfect helmet would pack my rig for me while I sit back and reflect on the jump.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

I spent my first four years of jumping chasing goggle/sunglass solutions to protect my contacts while wearing an open face. I didn't think I would like full face until I tried it, and the G3 is perfect for opening in the airplane and closing just prior to exit. I can't imagine going back to an open face.

I haven't tried any other open face helmets, the G3 fit perfect but I would imagine that most of them on the market are good and function well.

If a camera is going on it, an open face with a cutaway system.
For open face, I really love the lightweight of the Tonfly system with the cutaway, audible insert that can be accessed from outside the helmet, and the close fit with the camera inserts.

If no camera is going on it, then I want a G3 on my face.

I am NOT current, but do have a comeback plan in motion so equipment research has been in the works and fun!

A lightweight form fitting (maybe some form of injection molding machine based on the users head shape scanned by computer)......to get a carbon fiber helmet (F1, Indy Car, Le Mans drivers use carbon fiber). Even though carbon fiber is laid-up and not injection molded, perhaps a new process to get same or better end results.

JeffCa mentioned protect dental work. A little story here, and I'll try to keep it short. One upon a time long ago I was playing hockey and got hit with a slap shot. My face exploded with the impact....multiple fractured upper jaw, three teeth knocked completely out with two others broken in half and, twenty-six stiches in my lower lip. Then years later while on a night formation dive a Brit (Brian are you out there?) punched the formation in with too much horizontal heat. He was wearing a helmet and hit me in the face. I was double gripped with no way to protect myself as his helmet hit me EGGZACTLY where I was previously injured. Broke my upper jaw in multiple places and busted out three false teeth that were drilled into my upper jaw by attaching them to posts. We stabilized the formation and everyone got in. I was a little out of it and had a very short canopy ride that night. By the time I got back to DZ one eye was completely swollen shut and the other on it's way. The boy's had some pain killers, but it was really hard to get any kind of a seal around my mouth to drink the celebratory beer:)
So I would like a full face that protects my teeth, but doesn't destroy peripheral vision. Maybe invent clear carbon fiber to protect and use for whole helmet to eliminate helmet vision issues as well.

Good luck!

JeffCa

I want full-face because I'm protective of my dental work during RW. But the Bonehead easily-removable face design intrigues me, for jumps that are lower risk. I have a Cookie G3, but would really like it to have the externally-accessible audible pocket like their Fuel model. A removable and washable liner is also ideal. I want more protection for my head, and would be willing to pay a premium to get it.

Jeff nailed all my wants as well. More protection is key. I like my G3 but I can easily squeeze it like a melon in my hands.

DSE

If a camera is going on it, an open face with a cutaway system.
For open face, I really love the lightweight of the Tonfly system with the cutaway, audible insert that can be accessed from outside the helmet, and the close fit with the camera inserts.

If no camera is going on it, then I want a G3 on my face.

same here :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

How about a full-face with a cutaway system?

Whould it be something interesting?

By the way, thanks all for your answers!

Very instructive ;)

Any other wanted features for the perfect helmet?
Just Launched a Brand New Youtube Channel All About Skydiving!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXYd4K-SNSjeZqDZs9f78JQ
Facebook:https://www.fb.com/skydive.vibes/