katzas

USED CYPRES DOM AND LIFE CYCLE VS COST OF NEW

cooperf1

Paul is a stand up dude. I've never seen him be anything but fair and helpful.
And if you won't jump a parachute because it is over 15 years old, you are a coward.

my harness container reserve and main are all over 20years,, even the cypress has only 2months left lol
FTMC

unit will have to be sent to Marion for service

Marion is a long way from where a person would need it to go. SSK is in Lebanon. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You are not correct !
Till last year (2013) the lifetime for a reserve in Belgium was 20 year.
The BPRA (Belgian Parachute Rigger Association) raise this lifetime to a maximum of 25 years. This action starts in 2014. To keep everyone happy we extend the older reserves (from 1993) always with one year. Example: a reserve with DOM 01/01/1995 will get the end of his lifetime on 01/01/2017 on the age of 22 years. a reserve with DOM 01/01/1999 will get the end of his lifetime on 01/01/2024 on the age of 25 years.
So in Belgium you will not find the older Swift , Swift+, etc...anymore.
Exception: Reserve parachutes lifetime limited by the manufacture, we follow the rules in the manual. (Rush reserve by Firebird in Germany is 15 year)

cooperf1

Paul is a stand up dude. I've never seen him be anything but fair and helpful.
And if you won't jump a parachute because it is over 15 years old, you are a coward.

Both of your opinions are, shall we say, duly noted. Neither of them make a pinch of crap's sense. I will be at Crosskeys in early July for a couple--three weeks (returning from an overseas tour). Come and say hello.

JeffCa

paul is a well-respected dude in the community.. you and katzas on the other hand, are not.

Oh, so you "well-respected" people get to be jerks to the rest of us? Thanks for letting us know where you stand in that respect. His post was abusive and uncalled for, "well-respected" or not. And yours was just lovely, thanks.

If abusive, disrespectful and downright wrong are the measure of a respected man here then I thank my lucky stars that I am not one of that "respected" group.

His initial attack on me was unprovoked, malicious, abusive and just plain dumb. Respect that? Not in this life.

sundevil777

unit will have to be sent to Marion for service

Marion is a long way from where a person would need it to go. SSK is in Lebanon. :D

Thanks for the correction. I did use the correct zip code to figure the shipping costs however. I edited my post to reflect the correct city in Ohio.

hackish

I think the solution is pretty simple. Buy a vigil. It's rare to see a cypres in my area anyway.

-Michael

How does that address the point of the thread opener? Some sellers obviousy advertise units with a older DOM as new units, which isn't fair. With a Vigil it would be worse, because their warranty lasts only 2 years, which is 10,5 years less than the warranty of a Cypres. If you buy a 2012-Vigil of the shelf of a dealer today it might already be out of warranty. There is no free repair, even if something was broken from the moment when the unit was produced.
The thread opener adressed an ad where a 2008 Cypres was advertised as new. For us it might be obvious but for some newbies it might be not.

With a Cypres you buy the most proven and reliable AAD in the world. I don't mean that they didn't have their problems from time to time, but in the end they solved them all and took care of every customer who had potential issues getting their AADs fixed and brought to the current production standard. I understand the financial disadvantage of a Cypres compared to a Vigil, but I value my health and life a bit higher than a few hundred bucks.

Eddie5000

updated...

That's debatable. You cant just divide out the lifespan across the initial purchase value. That's not how use value works. For one, used value is based on market demand and supply. But more over, there is no way in hell I would pay 30 pounds under MSRP for a year old Cypress. You're buying a used product from someone you dont know. That by itself automatically knocks 20% off. I dont care if it was only used on one jump and you rode the plane down. I'm still taking the risk of buying something used from someone I dont know and it would make zero sense to take that risk just for a micro discount that you could get from many dealers just by asking anyway.

Well, I am not selling any AADs nor do I want to pursuade anybody buying used AAD, canopys, containers, altimeters...

Bit there are many used AADs out there and people are dealing on social media platforms and I just found this table and thought it might be helpful for calculating.

I agree with you, the final worth of anything is told by the market :)