skydived19006

Frustrated with Mark (Mel) Lancaster Skyworks Rigging

Hopefuly, posting this isn't considered inappropraite.

I'm totally frustrated with Mark Lancaster at this point. I sent him two tandem mains last fall, I think in October for repair. I know that he can be slow, and at times a bit disorganized. I also realize that he tends to fall off the face of the earth for weeks at a time, some government contract work or some such. So, I figured that since I didn't need these two mains until March, that I would be safe. Let me also say that Mark has never screwed me, he does excellent work, and pricing is great. He's always been an upstanding guy.

Anyway, I started emailing and calling him in March regarding my tandem mains, left multiple messages, and have simply not heard back. He's now had these canopies something like 7 or 8 months! My solution was to simply decide that it's time to replace them, and have purchased 2 more (purchased another new one last fall) new mains from NZ Aerosports. Just this afternoon, I received the 2nd, but I also realized that I'd sent both of these mains to Mel with risers, and now am sort risers, so can't even use the main that hit the door today!

Now, I'm in the process of trying to buy another set of risers. Simple enough generally, but for the fact that I'm still jumping Eclipse rigs.

Anyone know where a guy might find a set of Eclipse main risers. I sent an email to Shoobi, and will go to Jess Rodriguez if Shoobi can't help me out. I know where a couple of sets are in Buffalo SC, but...

I searched him (MasterRigger1) here, his last post was mid April.

Just looked, his web site has even gone down. Does anyone know if he's been injured, or worse???

Martin

Previewing this, I noticed my tag line at the bottom. Seems that I'm getting "experience" through all of this.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I have in the past used UPT risers on an Eclipse rig. Don't know what the rules are in your part of the world - but in NZ the Eclipse was considered compatible with Vector parts.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

We use UPT risers on ours. Just ignore the brake setting loop. We only have one Eclipse plus one container for spare parts. Hope to retire it in the fall.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Sure Rover, I had that discussion with Bill Booth once years ago at WFF. Not that I didn't already know it, but he explained to me in no uncertain terms that the Eclipse was a Vector II knock off. Vector risers would work, but may not be totally "legal".

I'll see if I can come up with Eclipse parts (who knows, maybe even my parts). If not, than I'll go from there.

This was really more of a rant than anything. I thought a few may commiserate with me is all. At least a lot of people have seen it.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

gowlerk

Mel does like to get up on his high horse and tell everyone else what is right. Hope he does right for you.

I figured that a little public peer pressure could only be a good thing in this case. Some people might dig in and get pissed about being called out in public. Lord knows, it wasn't my first option.

AC DZ

skydived19006

***Mel does like to get up on his high horse and tell everyone else what is right. Hope he does right for you.

I figured that a little public peer pressure could only be a good thing in this case. Some people might dig in and get pissed about being called out in public. Lord knows, it wasn't my first option.

The last time he pulled a similar disappearing stunt on me and I went public, my canopy showed up UN-repaired with no paperwork. When I finally got him on the phone he gave me the same sorry story he gives everyone about his "other" job and how he got his son to send it back, which is why there was no note included.

I asked him to write me an apology letter and sign it with his USPA and FAA credentials - at that point he suggested that he would like to discuss that with his brother in law who is an attorney.

You make your own judgements. I made mine.

If you got the time, I'd file a theft complaint. That may finally teach him how to not conduct "business".

I'd left a message with Mel earlier this morning. He just called me, I don't know if it was due to this thread, or just the earlier phone message, he didn't mention it.

He's in the process of working on my mains, and indicated that he'd finish this weekend, and that I'd have them by next Tuesday. He asked if I needed the risers tomorrow, as he'd overnight them. Looks like shit weather here most of this weekend, so we're not doing that.

He did offer as a consolation that he'll install a new line set on one of them for no charge due to the long wait.

He indicated that he's been on a contract working in Canada since early January. Also, that there had been a close family death, dealing with the estate, etc.

I'll likely still send work his way from time to time. As I indicated, he does excellent work, and is generally more than fair with pricing, and he's an upstanding guy. Just have to understand that he goes out of touch, sometimes for fairly long periods of time.

With regard to service there are three considerations, price, time, and quality. You only get two at the expense of the third.

AC DZ

"... Now, I'm in the process of trying to buy another set of risers. Simple enough generally, but for the fact that I'm still jumping Eclipse rigs.

Anyone know where a guy might find a set of Eclipse main risers. ..."

...................................................................................

Last time I discussed Eclipse spare parts with Bill Dause (current owner of the Eclipse TSO), Bill told me to install Vector 2 Tandem free-bag.
Even the TSO-owner admits that Eclipse is a close copy of Tandem Vector 2 and that most Vector parts will fit.

riggerrob

"... Now, I'm in the process of trying to buy another set of risers. Simple enough generally, but for the fact that I'm still jumping Eclipse rigs.

Anyone know where a guy might find a set of Eclipse main risers. ..."

...................................................................................

Last time I discussed Eclipse spare parts with Bill Dause (current owner of the Eclipse TSO), Bill told me to install Vector 2 Tandem free-bag.
Even the TSO-owner admits that Eclipse is a close copy of Tandem Vector 2 and that most Vector parts will fit.

The Vector 2 free bag will work, but it is shaped a bit differently. I think that Shoobi built the rig a little shorter top-to-bottom which moves the drogue attachment up a couple of inches. He also added a second drogue release, then later a third on the cut away handle. But in general yes, it is a knock off of the Vector II.

Last I knew, Jess Rodriguez had the Eclipse TSO. I'm actually an Eclipse IE, and send paperwork to Jess. We keep copies of everything we send, basically to prove that we've complied with the FAR regarding "...Manufacturer training..."

Otherwise from what I know of Bill Dause, he's a stickler for complying with regulations. No grey area with that guy, that's for sure.

AC DZ

"The Vector 2 free bag will work, but it is shaped a bit differently. I think that Shoobi built the rig a little shorter top-to-bottom ..." when in doubt, install the next larger size of Vector II free-bag.
For example, if your Eclipse is sized for a PD-360 Reserve, then install an Vector V-13 or V-14 sized reserve free-bag.

Mickochet

Call Ralph at Western Parachute sales for Spare parts for the Eclipse Tandems

Irony: so I call Ralph have a short conversation regarding Eclipse Tandem stuff. He says "Send me an email." So, two days ago I sent Ralph an email but as seems to be the industry standard, no response. No big deal at all, I don't really need anything from him right now, more interested in finding sources, and pricing.

AC DZ