Rebecca-Berlin

Price Question, 2003 Reserve Canopy

Rebecca-Berlin

I am selling my reserve and got this offer:

Reserve Speed-170, 2003, for 350 Euros (476 dollars)

Should I ask for more? The canopy has never been used.

Thanks!
B|

You may get a few more bucks from a US jumper since any Master Rigger can re-certify reserve, but as far as I know in EU this reserve is good only for 4 more years?

"... You may get a few more bucks from a US jumper since any Master Rigger can re-certify reserve ...

Where does it say that in the Federal Air Regulations?

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger

Rebecca-Berlin

Thanks for your responses!:)
I have told my rigger 400 Euros would be ok. But I am curious if the same reserve is certified for 15 years in Europe yet 20 years in the US.

Unless there is a life limit listed in the manual (and I didn't see one but I went through it quickly) it can be certified in the US as long as a rigger finds it airworthy and is willing to pack it.

Some US riggers will not pack reserves more than 20 yrs old but this is an arbitrary limit and not something required by any rules.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Rebecca-Berlin

Thanks for your responses!:)
I have told my rigger 400 Euros would be ok. But I am curious if the same reserve is certified for 15 years in Europe yet 20 years in the US.

There is no set date for a reserve in the USA. It's whatever a rigger will pack for you.

I have friends jumping with reserves so old (>25 years old) the rigger at my DZ refused to pack them, but the container manufacturer packed it for them. I have also seen riggers refuse to pack non-TSO'd reserves in a non-TSO'd container, only to have another rigger pack that reserve and put his stamp on it.

My reserve is a ~17 year old PDR. Those last ~20 years until you have to send it in for re-inspection, and who knows what happens then. Couldn't have asked more from it my last chop. I do plan on sending it in to PD for inspection after this season though to get the fabric tested.

There is a practical reason why many riggers refuse to pack reserves more than 20 years old.
Back during the 1980s, a bad batch of mesh snuck into factories that made round reserves. Some of that ACID MESH deteriorated some batches of F-111 fabric. A few round reserves got grounded until they could be tested and re-certified. Only a handful of FAA-registered lofts had FAA approval to re-certify reserves ACID MESH FREE.
In the long run, the FAA Airworthiness Directive was only a short-term measure, because wise skydivers replaced their acidic round reserves with Ravens and Swifts as quickly as they could.
Military-surplus round mains faded from North American skydiving schools by 1990. Round reserves almost disappeared by 2000. By 2010, the FAA quietly allowed DPREs to make round reserves optional when testing new riggers.
So good luck in finding a young rigger who knows how to pack a round reserve. Even more luck finding a grumpy, old grey-bearded FAA Master Rigger has a dusty copy of the manual for your 20-year-old round reserve. Forget about finding a skydiving instructor (less than 40 years old) who has jumped a round canopy!
Hah!

riggerrob

So good luck in finding a young rigger who knows how to pack a round reserve. Even more luck finding a grumpy, old grey-bearded FAA Master Rigger has a dusty copy of the manual for your 20-year-old round reserve. Forget about finding a skydiving instructor (less than 40 years old) who has jumped a round canopy!
Hah!

Weird. I am a younger rigger, not old grey-bearded one. I have ratings and I haven't been jumping anywhere close to 40 years. I got plenty of round manuals, I have packed (and continue to pack) plenty of rounds, and I have jumped and landed plenty of various rounds (both reserves and mains).

sorry, just wanted to brag :)

likestojump

Hah!

Weird. I am a younger rigger, not old grey-bearded one. I have ratings and I haven't been jumping anywhere close to 40 years. I got plenty of round manuals, I have packed (and continue to pack) plenty of rounds, and I have jumped and landed plenty of various rounds (both reserves and mains).

You sir, are an anomaly!

I challenge you to show me your manuals for the following parachutes:

Advanced Air PEP
Asquito PEP
Ballistic Recovery Systems' PEP
Butler Headrest pack
Eclipse PEP
Flying High's Slimline PEP
Free Flight Enterprises' Preserve 5 canopy
Handbury PEP
Irvin lap-pack
Jump Shack PEP
National seat-type PEP
Parachutes Australia long PEP
Parachutes de France Flex-Pack
Para-Phernalia "Softie" containing a square canopy
Pioneer Thin-Pack
PISA back-type PEP
Reltny lap-pack
Rigging Innovations' Aviator
Security 150, 250, 350 and 550
Spekon RE-5L
Stewart Systems PEP
Westway pilot emergency parachute

likestojump

Hah!

I know a guy with a 31 year old round reserve and he has no problem getting it re-packed. The rigger says a lot of people wouldnt touch it because of its age but it looks brand new and passes all the tests so why not! He just says good luck with all the trees if you ever have to use it :S ive been trying to trade him my mr150 for it B| but he wont go for it :(

riggerrob

Hah!

You sir, are an anomaly!

Advanced Air PEP
Asquito PEP
Butler Headrest pack
Eclipse PEP
Handbury PEP
Irvin lap-pack
Jump Shack PEP
National seat-type PEP
Pioneer Thin-Pack
PISA back-type PEP
Reltny lap-pack
Spekon RE-5L
Stewart Systems PEP

This challenge is awesome! :D
If everything seems under control.. You're just not going fast enough..!

DoZ3r

Hah!

You sir, are an anomaly!

Advanced Air PEP
Asquito PEP
Butler Headrest pack
Eclipse PEP
Handbury PEP
Irvin lap-pack
Jump Shack PEP
National seat-type PEP
Pioneer Thin-Pack
PISA back-type PEP
Reltny lap-pack
Spekon RE-5L
Stewart Systems PEP

This challenge is awesome! :D

Hey Mads, do you thing I should join the challenge, or it won't be fair? ;) I totally fit the profile "young, black bearded, jumped all kind of round parachutes, packing a lot of old rounds per year, only 16 years in the sport"

ETA: Packed some reserves that most old FAA grey-bearded master riggers will never see in their career!
Such as PN-58, S4-U, Z-5, Z1-P, PZ 81, B-8...... and the list goes on B|
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen