freefly30

Wings

Would like to here some peoples experience with the customer service with Wings. I'm looking into a new rig with them and the response I get over the phone is not very friendly at all. I looked at a glide but decided not to go with them because they are relatively new to the market. There rigs seem very nice,comfortable and very well built. Just feel more comfortable going with an established company with a large customer base.

I know one person in particular that jumps their Wings rig relentlessly. And by that I mean someone who puts more jumps on it in a year than most do in a lifetime.

I was never a big fan of Wings but after watching that tiny rig get punished day in and day out I would have no qualms about buying one and certainly no concerns about its durability.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

They are VERY established, and have a LARGE customer base. Wings has been around a long time also. I have never had anything but good experiences with them other than the website being a bit dated. I had to send a rig back due to riser cover issues and it was fixed for free. I have owned 2 wings containers, and would buy again.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

freefly30

Would like to here some peoples experience with the customer service with Wings. I'm looking into a new rig with them and the response I get over the phone is not very friendly at all. I looked at a glide but decided not to go with them because they are relatively new to the market. There rigs seem very nice,comfortable and very well built. Just feel more comfortable going with an established company with a large customer base.

Unless you have one of their coupons go through a dealer. That's what they want you to do, and your experience will be much better if you do it that way.

They're not the best, but not the worst either. They put up with me after all...

Glide is a solid rig btw. I know a couple of people that jump them and love them.

I jump a Wings.... Hands down it's the most comfortable rig I've jumped. Customer service has been beyond exceptional.... I ordered it with the skinny chest strap and a couple of months after delivery decided to send it back to have the traditional wider chest strap installed since my alti was flipping... I paid for shipping to them... they covered everything else and had my rig back to me
The only (and minor) aspect of a Wings I could muster a suggestion to change would be the reserve pin flap protector... and that would be to add a stiffener to help protect the pin (twice had the seal (only)break due to close quarters and moving around in a Cessana while sitting back to back) and to elongate said tab about .125" or so so it tucks a schosh further into it's pocket (and that's only for the riggers who "need more practice" getting it to look nice :P)

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I'm not a rigger
YMMV

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I would not hesitate to go with the Glide. Although the product and company is new, the people behind it are among the most experienced and well regarded in the industry. They left one of the largest and best known manufacturers where they were key people in the company to start up Peregrine. There is little to fear in dealing with them.

(I have no relationship with them beyond being a casual customer of Dolphin parts)
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I have had some pretty amazing customer service from them. They totally stand behind their product and if something isn't right, they take care of it. I've spoken with two people there for a couple of things and they were great. As a consumer, they wanted to make sure I got a great rig. As a rigger they have been patient and thorough when I called with a question.

freefly30

gowlerk

I would not hesitate to go with the Glide. Although the product and company is new, the people behind it are among the most experienced and well regarded in the industry. They left one of the largest and best known manufacturers where they were key people in the company to start up Peregrine. There is little to fear in dealing with them.

(I have no relationship with them beyond being a casual customer of Dolphin parts)

+1
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

gowlerk

Yes, and according to their website, they even have a "special addition" Glide that they're making. I guess that means you get 2 for the price of 1?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

I use to jump a wings and had nothing but amazing customer service from them. Henri is a great person to deal with. They always did everything they could to make me happy. Stiffened the reserve flap, bottomless corners, anti twist dbag, and wingsuit bridle while I waited!
I now jump a micron because of the reserve pin protection.
I had two out on my wings from lounging in the back of an otter, it almost pushed the pin out, when I deployed it popped. Luckily I reeled it in before it came out of the free bag
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

councilman24

One guy's scottish and ones an engineer. And they're both skydivers.;) Whaddya want?:)

I was thinking maybe RiggerLee wrote the website. ;)

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

riggerrob

Popped reserve pins are not only a WINGS problem, If you bash ANY container around long enough and hard enough, you will knock the reserve pin loose.

But do you think a plastic reinforced pin cover flap has less chance of transmitting outside forces to the pin?
(Still, on the Wings, having the fairly solid bottom flap close last does give some extra protection to the pin, with its tip extending down into the slot in the bottom flap.)

As for Wings in general, they seem to be the rig where the freebag fits the most poorly into the reserve tray...

Needing more massaging than any other rig to get the freebag into place and the side flaps closed sufficiently over the freebag to allow space for the pilot chute. In other words, Wings are a pain in the ass for riggers. Oh, I'm sure some don't mind them, but I bet a bunch will agree with me.

In other words, Wings are a pain in the ass for riggers. Oh, I'm sure some don't mind them, but I bet a bunch will agree with me.

+1

For some reason I have a particularly hard time with the w13/14 combined with a pdr176. Just can't make the pilot chute seat nicely. It's seems to be because of the need to stuff the material between the coils and the shallow valley. I can make it look real nice, but I end up with 30lbs of pull force and have to start over. And the combo is very popular here.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Ordered my first container from them a couple months ago. Tony from Wings jumped through hoops to answer my numerous questions and emails about buying my first rig. Exceptional customer service. I haven't had a chance to jump it yet. I'm still downsizing into it. From a service stand point I can confirm they are awesome. I'm sure their product follows suit as well.

freefly30

I have nothing good or bad to say about the Wings HC since I never owned one. It is certainly a popular rig and many people love them. However, I did go through the financial calculations of the Wings vs other gear and decided to buy an Icon Nexgen. At first glance the Wings looks like a good deal--and to some it may very well be--depending on how you equip it. But, if you add popular things like cut in lats, hip rings, stainless hardware, collapsible PC, mag riser covers, hook knife, a skyhook (Wings calls theirs a "boost") and do the math you quickly realize that the Wings price is very close (depending on the deal you make with the dealer) to other rigs which may seem more expensive but, in fact, are not.

Now, the decision to buy this new harness or that new harness can be a subjective one in that it depends on how it actually feels when you wear it. But the cost is not subjective. BTW, I had a couple of small issues with the Icon order (my fault, not theirs) and the folks at Aerodyne could not have been more helpful.

I haven't jumped it yet as I am still overseas. As soon as I return I will--and I will post my impressions in the Aerodyne review section--good or bad. If you do buy the Wings I would like to see your impression of it as well.