Anvilbrother

Brake line rubbing silicone bumpers and fraying line.

Eq consists of Wings risers, navigator 280, slinks, silicone risers, dacron lines with a total jumps on lines and bumpers about 75-100. Im a big guy with faster openings, I had hard links but they were damaging the slider grommets, so I switched to slinks, and the silicone bumpers. The issue I am having is the brake lines are rubbing and cutting a groove in the silicone bumpers, and fraying the brake lines on openings. Its almost like the lines are "sawing" back and forth on opening. The wear marks line up right where the brakes are set leading me to believe this is only rubbing on opening, especially since when brakes are released the lines do not come close to the bumper at that point. Also some of the outer D lines inside the bumper are rubbing and getting frayed a bit.

The only option I can think of is adding a "sacrificial" line of the bigger size (1250lb?)dacron over the top of it where it wears, and bar tacking it in place. This would only slow the problem down not eliminate it. Im not sure if its happening due to assembly or material issues, or my faster opening speed of about 132mph.

edit to add the reason we installed the bumpers was due to the slider coming down and damaging the line attachment points at the slink. Mostly on the outer lines on the rears.

Any thoughts on what to do? Thanks

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

In my post I stated that the slider grommets were coming down and slamming on the line attachment points and was damaging them at the slinks. The cloth witch hats that come with them were not helping, so we stepped up to larger silicone bumpers which fixed the line attachment point issues, but now the brake lines are rubbing the silicone bumper.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I was advised the bumpers were vinyl not silicone bumpers and are sharper on the edge and do not stretch as much. I am going to first replace with silicone bumpers and see if that fixes things.

In image left is vinyl (what you have). Brake lines have been carving those for 30 years. Silicon is the middle. Softer and won't damage the lines as much but will tear easily. Fabric are on the right. Perhaps a better choice. All of this are usually used on french links. On slinks nothing is used if you want to pull down your slider. (make sure your toggles have nose hoods) or the Slink Cover (pirate hat, witches hat, cone, etc) that come with main slinks if you don't want to pull your slider down. That's usually enough. I usually don't see much damage to the lines from grommets with slinks and Slink covers. I'd try the factory covers first. They allow the slider grommet to be below the line attachment points. The silicon or cloth bumpers will hold the grommets next to the lines, just in a different place.

BTW silicon covers were used because the were easier to get at the local home depot in a size for 3.5 or 4 mini french links.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If we're doing photos of the varieties available, then there are the other style slink covers - see attachment - which allow the slider to be pulled down unlike the 'witches hat' covers. Not sure what name to give them?
But they do give some protection to the lines where they attach to the slinks, if the slider is slamming down to that point.