shibu

SkyTie alternative for Infinity?

shibu

I want to get a slider keeper for my Infinity I45.
When I checked on chuting star, it states "The SkyTie does not work on Infinity, Racer or Wings containers.".:ph34r:Chutingstar SkyTie

I know there are alternatives similar to the SkyTie.
Any advice on a magnetic keeper that will work with an Infinity?

Get your rigger to sew on a similar thing to the top of the yoke. I've seen a few Wings and Infinity rigs with that.

faulk04

ever think about putting the "slocks" on your risers to keep the slider down?

It is not the same. The slocks keep the slider down, but they do not prevent it from being flapping behind your head, at its same level. If you want to look around the slider might interfere with your vision. With a skytie this does not happen, as it is hold lower, around your neck, not your head.

mattjw916

open your chest-strap all the way and the slider is taught when it's behind your head and won't flap

I do. It doesn't flap but is still at your eye level, so if you want to look behind it gets tricky. At least on my rig.

Lessee if I can figure out how to post pictures from the phone.

This is on a Talon FX. Skytie doesn't fit either. The "tie" part of it came from Rigging Innovations as did the modification instructions. There is a hook and pile loop on the back that secures it through the sewn webbing. Rock solid... Haven't had to resecure it in 500+ jumps. The alternative with the skytie is that you'd have to whip stitch it to the loop. Same setup as the Curv but the loop is built into the container on that one. I think it is Type 12 as the "tie" part and the securing Velcro is wider than thr skytie. Skytie applications are thinner. But don't quote me...this was a while ago and I could be making shit up...

hillson

This is on a Talon FX. Skytie doesn't fit either. The "tie" part of it came from Rigging Innovations as did the modification instructions. There is a hook and pile loop on the back that secures it through the sewn webbing. Rock solid... Haven't had to resecure it in 500+ jumps. The alternative with the skytie is that you'd have to whip stitch it to the loop. Same setup as the Curv but the loop is built into the container on that one. I think it is Type 12 as the "tie" part and the securing Velcro is wider than thr skytie. Skytie applications are thinner. But don't quote me...this was a while ago and I could be making shit up...

Thank you for the willingness to help, but I already had something similar :-). In my case the loop was too low. I asked my rigger a couple of months ago to sew it on the binding tape instead of where it was, but without removing the reserve it was complicated, and he didn't like the risk of perforating the free bag. So we agreed on doing it on the next repack.

What canopy do you jump? have you thought about a removeable slider? I have done my last 2000 jumps with one and can't imagine using a normal slider again!

Otherwise on my wings and infinity i used to use a home made one using bungee cord, rubber bands and bottle tops: they don't look gucci by any stretch or the imagination but they work and in my eyes are just as safe if not safer in some aspects than a skytie.

It might be quite hard to see from my awful paint drawing but it has multiple fail points incase of a cutaway after its attached.

lyosha

***I want to get a slider keeper for my Infinity I45.
When I checked on chuting star, it states "The SkyTie does not work on Infinity, Racer or Wings containers.".:ph34r:Chutingstar SkyTie

I know there are alternatives similar to the SkyTie.
Any advice on a magnetic keeper that will work with an Infinity?

Get your rigger to sew on a similar thing to the top of the yoke. I've seen a few Wings and Infinity rigs with that.

Thanks. I'll speak to my rigger.

mattjw916

open your chest-strap all the way and the slider is taught when it's behind your head and won't flap

It's not that it flaps, but it does seem to creep up on me. Once it actually popped up enough that it came right over my head. [unsure]

hillson

That looks great. Thanks for posting.

mx19

What canopy do you jump? have you thought about a removeable slider? I have done my last 2000 jumps with one and can't imagine using a normal slider again!

Otherwise on my wings and infinity i used to use a home made one using bungee cord, rubber bands and bottle tops: they don't look gucci by any stretch or the imagination but they work and in my eyes are just as safe if not safer in some aspects than a skytie.

It might be quite hard to see from my awful paint drawing but it has multiple fail points incase of a cutaway after its attached.

Thanks for the diagram. I would love an RDS eventually. Not sure I'm ready for the extra complexity right now. [:/]

In a event of cutaway it flys away.
Once reserve flap is opened there is nothing holding it.

In fact out of my 3 out of my 5 cutaway I've had to replace it.

In an event of canopy collision????

hhmmmm. I'm pretty sure that the single rubber band would break.

I personally think that it is stupid to buy something for 25 bucks or more when you can do the same thing for almost free and it has been proven to work.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

"Slocks" prevent the slider from creeping up... but they wear out eventually, I used to have them on my old rig and they did work though. You can also have some webbing sewn on to the risers similar to what you see here: http://youtu.be/NSLUW7mOlO0?t=37s

that's my current setup on a couple sets of my risers and don't have any issues with creep or rearward visibility
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

mattjw916

"Slocks" prevent the slider from creeping up... but they wear out eventually, I used to have them on my old rig and they did work though. You can also have some webbing sewn on to the risers similar to what you see here: http://youtu.be/NSLUW7mOlO0?t=37s

that's my current setup on a couple sets of my risers and don't have any issues with creep or rearward visibility

I'll ask my rigger about these too. Thanks.

Also, nice video. I wish there were more of these for skydiving related gear.

shibu

***What canopy do you jump? have you thought about a removeable slider? I have done my last 2000 jumps with one and can't imagine using a normal slider again!

Thanks for the diagram. I would love an RDS eventually. Not sure I'm ready for the extra complexity right now. [:/]

The RDS doesnt really add much complexity, it is as complex as closing your container, also as complex to take it off as it is to collapse it and use the skytie if not simpler. You can order the one pull release RDS where there is a string right at the middle and it releases all four corners and once is off you can either put it under your shirt or in a pocket.

Pablo.Moreno

******What canopy do you jump? have you thought about a removeable slider? I have done my last 2000 jumps with one and can't imagine using a normal slider again!

The RDS doesnt really add much complexity, it is as complex as closing your container, also as complex to take it off as it is to collapse it and use the skytie if not simpler. You can order the one pull release RDS where there is a string right at the middle and it releases all four corners and once is off you can either put it under your shirt or in a pocket.

I am definately going to consider the RDS in the future. Thanks for all the info.

In the mean time I got a slider stow installed on my infinity at Skydive Sussex in NJ. It took 10 minutes.

Slider keepers that are sewn to the container sketch me out. The bungee and skytie when put around the reserve can still pull of the pin protector flap if they entangle with the main. If you need to sew bungee and plastic ball or skytie to your container, at least put a breakable tether in between it and the container.

p.s. someone at our DZ had a break line catch around the plastic ball that caused a cutaway.

mattjw916

Damn! Those look great!

A few months ago I built 3 sets of Slocks made from webbing. Mine work fine and the other two are getting at least 50 jumps a month but now I'm itching to try out that design. I think that it's cleaner and will last longer.

Freeflaw

Slider keepers that are sewn to the container sketch me out. The bungee and skytie when put around the reserve can still pull of the pin protector flap if they entangle with the main. If you need to sew bungee and plastic ball or skytie to your container, at least put a breakable tether in between it and the container.

p.s. someone at our DZ had a break line catch around the plastic ball that caused a cutaway.

I had a magnetic slider keeper installed but it looks like if it were to get entangled with the main and the reserve flap would open, it would just slide off of the flap. It feels like it slides off pretty easily when the reserve flap is open on the ground. Of course if it is under tension, who knows? I attached a pic of the slider keeper with the reserve flap open.