1001001sos

Crossfire II (189) vs Sabre II (190)

Which canopy has more flare control and smoother landings?

Crossfire II (189) vs Sabre II (190)

I've been jumping a Sabre II 190 for about 7 years. And even now sometimes it's like it just doesn't slow down upon landing even though my wing loading is only around 1.26
On heading opens? very rare under the Sabre II as well.

Anyone got an opinion on this?

I recently considered a Crossfire II as well, however I would only be loading it at 1.3-ish. I called Icarus regarding this, and they recommend only flying it at a WL above 1.4 due to pressurization factors.

I do know two people who fly a CF2 at lower wingloadings and they have not had any issues, however I decided to follow the mfg recommendation and get a different canopy until I am ready for a heavier wing loading.

riggerrob

How many jumps on your Sabre 2?
How many jumps on that line-set?

Less than 400. But the canopy and line-set are 10 yrs old.

I think the brake lines are stretching on it too. They have been adjusted once, maybe not enough. I can still get a stall out of it at deployment altitude but barely.

Top_Bunk

I recently considered a Crossfire II as well, however I would only be loading it at 1.3-ish. I called Icarus regarding this, and they recommend only flying it at a WL above 1.4 due to pressurization factors.

I do know two people who fly a CF2 at lower wingloadings and they have not had any issues, however I decided to follow the mfg recommendation and get a different canopy until I am ready for a heavier wing loading.

Yeah there are no cross ports /valve systems between the cells on the Crossfire II. Probably why they recommend a little bit of wing loading on them. I'm loading around 1.26

There is a reason Icarus has a minimum wing loading period. You are not going to get the performance of high performance at a low wing loading. If you feel uncomfortable going to the minimum wing loading the manufacturer requires then you are not ready For it period.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

TheCaptain

There is a reason Icarus has a minimum wing loading period. You are not going to get the performance of high performance at a low wing loading. If you feel uncomfortable going to the minimum wing loading the manufacturer requires then you are not ready For it period.

I don't feel uncomfortable going to the recommended wing loading for it. But that's going to mean a weight belt or a lot of visits to the donut shop and I'm trying to lose weight as it is now. And I really don't need a weight belt on during a skydive. I can fall like a rock with no help at all.

I can still get a stall out of it at deployment altitude but barely.

Unless you're a student, adjust the brakes to change that. Being able to slow it down depends a lot on this.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

Unless you're a student, adjust the brakes to change that. Being able to slow it down depends a lot on this.

Not a student. Been jumping this canopy for years. Just never have really messed with it except for one brake line adjustment. On no wind days I just grab a wrap of brake line around my hands and deal with it.

1001001sos

Yeah there are no cross ports /valve systems between the cells on the Crossfire II. Probably why they recommend a little bit of wing loading on them. I'm loading around 1.26

I don't know who told you that, but actually there are crosspots on the Crossfire 2. One of the reasons for the higher WL requirement is the partially closed nose. At 1.3 you should look at Safire 2 or a Sabre 2.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

you probably just need a reline on your Sabre2.

Lines don't stretch. They shrink. And when they shrink enough (400 jumps could be enough - it is with the smaller ones, for sure), you won't get full flight anymore even with your toggles all the way up. If you aren't getting full flight, you aren't getting a full flare, and that *may* be why you aren't really slowing down at landing. If someone shortened your brake lines you to "help you get deeper into your flare," that probably just compounded the problem. Get a trim-check from a rigger who is knowledgeable about suspension lines and go from there.

If you're also just really in the mood for a new canopy, good luck deciding! I jumped a CF2 169 loaded at about 1.1 several years back, and I loved it. I've never heard of one as big as a 189, and I might wonder how one that big would open. So do lots of research...

for what its worth, i spent 700 on a pilot 132 which was in excellent shape for how many jumps it had on it, but the lines were completely fucked and out of trim.

i had gone from a safire2 which had EXCELLENT flare power and flight characteristics, and the first bunch of jumps on the pilot with that lineset, all i thought was that i just fucking wasted my money, no matter how i tried i couldnt 2 stage flare it, it was mush, and it kept pounding in like an elevator.

reline with hma, and its an entirely new canopy, which flares and flies excellent.

im really glad i bought it, but it was just so out of trim that it sucked at first.
gravity brings me down.........

Our camera flyer was alternately jumping a same-sized Safire2 and Sabre2 in the last week. His comment was that the (much newer) Sabre2 reminded him that his Safire was definitely in need of a reline, but he still preferred the openings and landings of the Safire.

I suspect what this comes down to though is personal taste - hopefully you can find a demo somewhere?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

And so the next question.....

PD 525 Dacron or PD 825 Microline?

We're only talking $40 bucks difference between the two from PD. $190 (Dacron) vs $230 (Microline)

So I'm not worried about the price. Just want what's best for the canopy. And I know nothing about line sets.

1001001sos

And so the next question.....

PD 525 Dacron or PD 825 Microline?

We're only talking $40 bucks difference between the two from PD. $190 (Dacron) vs $230 (Microline)

So I'm not worried about the price. Just want what's best for the canopy. And I know nothing about line sets.

No need for an answer here. Just talk to PD. 825 Microline is the preferred line set for that canopy and what is on it now, came from them that way. They ran the Ser # on it.