captain1976

Mirage reserve question

Purchased a new Mirage a few months back and the dealer packed my reserve as part of their service.

I'm a Rigger and for years I only pack my reserve and some round pilot rigs for friends. I didn't argue about a free assembly and pack job.

Packing it for the first time today I noticed that the AAD cutter comes out of a sewn-on holder just under closing flap 3. This means that with #2 being the pilot chute itself, the cutter is on top of the pilot chute and under the remaining flaps, No 4, 5 & 6.

Contrary to the manual, I continued and packed it up like it was before.

Question for those in the know; is this OK? I don't see anything particularly wrong with it and any comments are appreciated.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

That's how I packed my G3 and it was the approved method. I don't recall the manual showing different?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds normal for a Mirage in the last 10 years or so? They used to have the cutter under the first flap (just ontop of the freebag) but put out a bulletin and moved it to get it 'closer to the pin'.

With the cutter above the PC it made the Mirage 'bulgy' (top flap and pin cover flap) until they started making the dished-top pilot chutes to make a bit of a well for the cutter and partially get rid of the bulginess.

pchapman

Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds normal for a Mirage in the last 10 years or so? They used to have the cutter under the first flap (just ontop of the freebag) but put out a bulletin and moved it to get it 'closer to the pin'.

With the cutter above the PC it made the Mirage 'bulgy' (top flap and pin cover flap) until they started making the dished-top pilot chutes to make a bit of a well for the cutter and partially get rid of the bulginess.

Great, thanks to both. I must have the older manual and I feel better knowing someone didn't goof
Blue Skies
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

gowlerk

You need to dig around the support section of the Mirage Systems website. Or let me do it for you.

http://www.miragesys.com/media/supportarticle/AAD%20Installation%20instructions.pdf

Actually I did try to find the answer while packing it. Tried calling their website listed contact phone number which only gave me a fax tone. And you would think this Addendum which is dated 2004 would at least be given with a rig purchased in 2013

Yes, this very basic change that completely rearranges the AAD placement in the container is found on the website under support/support articles for some reason. But even UPT never updates their manuals. They just put up an article in a random place on their website and say "good enough".

There is an SB explaining how to move the cutter on older containers as well. Buried even deeper in the support menus. But change the manual, naaaa, you'll figure it out when the cutter sleeve is not where the manual says it should be.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The Mirage update was driven by a problem identified in Europe.
Several European skydivers scared their Cypri, then wondered why their reserves hesitated.
You have to make multiple mistakes to kill yourself, but one of the mistakes is installing way too long a reserve closing loop. If the pilot chute spring squeezes the closing loop against the edge of a grommet, it might delay the pilot-chute launch. The longer the loop, the greater the risk of hesitation. If I have more than 1/2 inch slack - when I close a reserve - I re-open it and install a shorter closing loop.
The EU insisted that several (European-made) containers (Atom, Icon, Next, etc.) be modified to move the AAD cutter higher in the reserve container ... above the pilot-chute. I modified several Atoms and Mirages to the new configuration.
The update is optional for Icons in North America, bf I owned an Icon, I would update the AAD cutter location to above the pilot-chute spring.

riggerrob

The Mirage update was driven by a problem identified in Europe.
Several European skydivers scared their Cypri, then wondered why their reserves hesitated.
You have to make multiple mistakes to kill yourself, but one of the mistakes is installing way too long a reserve closing loop. If the pilot chute spring squeezes the closing loop against the edge of a grommet, it might delay the pilot-chute launch. The longer the loop, the greater the risk of hesitation. If I have more than 1/2 inch slack - when I close a reserve - I re-open it and install a shorter closing loop.
The EU insisted that several (European-made) containers (Atom, Icon, Next, etc.) be modified to move the AAD cutter higher in the reserve container ... above the pilot-chute. I modified several Atoms and Mirages to the new configuration.
The update is optional for Icons in North America, bf I owned an Icon, I would update the AAD cutter location to above the pilot-chute spring.

Thanks for the info Rob, makes a lot of sense.