chriscchristoph

Anyone have expierience with these?

sammielu

Skydive Radio did a review on the most recent episode. Seems really cool. I plan to get one. Any additional way to stay altitude aware makes sense to me!

Look at the logo on the helmet in the photo on Chuting Star. Seems that Skydive Radio guys took it? Is there a relationship between the show and this product?

I can't see the point in having one of these and an audible. It's hard to ignore the audible, but if you only have one, I guess this is as good.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

I'll admit I've had a visual altimeter for nearly 40 years ;). That said, this has possibilities, particularly for the all-absorbing disciplines where taking time out to actually look at your altimeter is frowned on because it costs points or body position.

Personally I'm not sure I approve of a discipline that disapproves of a jumper maintaining altitude awareness... This gives you ongoing awareness of where you are, and not just a trigger to remind you to pull.

Yeah, it totally needs to be customizable, but they'll get to that.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I am thinking of getting one of these, to have IN ADDITION to my other altimeters. I believe that it is a good addition in combination with other altimeters.

How am I going to use it? When I am doing my coaching, for most of my dive, I just want to have a general reference of where I am at... hence it's green zone. When I need to start to do something, it is changing from green to red.

This is very simple... and I don't have to interpret numbers as I am diving... just a yes/no green/red combination.

To simply discount a tool because you don't understand it, and it doesn't fit your current model does not mean that it is a bad product. In the real world I am a Business Analyst. How I see this is that my "thought process model" may change slightly.

Keep an open mind people. $119 is not that bad.

Nope, I'm going with my first impression, which is "lame".

I'll file this under the "obnoxious things" category along with people who jump with multiple gopros, fuck with their phone the entire climb to altitude, can't sit still on the plane, or need 20 minute dirt-dives to remember a 3 point skydive...
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Remster

or need 20 minute dirt-dives...

Strange... That crew is usually the one who does absolutely no dirt dives in my experience... ;-)

You're just a load organizer...what do YOU know?! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

PiLFy

L&B offers a visual port for their Optima audible. L&B has an excellent rep in the industry for quality & customer service. Why would you wanna roll the dice w/an unknown??

I use the Optima II with the visual port when shooting video. It works great and I love it. The indicator light is on my ring sight. L&B still offers the Optima II with visual port, but according to emails from them, they no longer offer the LED or LCD lights for it. Doesn't make sense to me, but I guess they have their reasons. I never could get L&B to give me a reason for not selling the lights. Maybe they are planning on phasing out the visual port option in the future, I don't know. Your only option for a light now to use with your Optima II is from Hypoxic.

mattjw916

I'll file this under the "obnoxious things" category along with people who jump with multiple gopros...

You mean like this clown (photo)? ;)

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

woppyvac

For video I could see this being a good idea. When shooting tandems you aren't always able to check your altimeter... granted this could also confuse some videographers who use an indicator light that their camera is on. :P

If you are shooting tandem and the TM sucks you down to where you need this, you both are grounded. In other words you already have a "visual altitude indicator" in front of you. I like to call it "the tandem pair".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I disagree with some of the other posters as to it being a worthless item.

for those of us suffering with substantial hearing loss it will make a nice backup. the high pitch alarm on an audible is useless if you cannot hear in that tone range.

if they give it a selectable altitude mode I want one!

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

and I would like people to quit forgetting a planet is going to shove itself up their ass.

if a backup device will accomplish just one person saving his own life when the "oh shit moment occurs" rather than going in or a cypress save then I am all for it.

cypress - check
altimeter - check
audible/visual light - check
eyeballs - check

4 of the 5 are technological - I am sure you are not advocating jumping without them so I am a tad bit confused as to your post as its not like many people pay attention to them to the exclusion of the dive
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.