mrkeske

Shorter(st) Canopy Opening Snivel

Hello,

I was participating on a Big-Way camp some weeks ago and everything very fine except for one thing. As we needed to pull below 3500 feet, some times even below 3000 feet.

Visualy checking my altimeter between the time I released the pilot chute from my hand until my canopy was 100% flying it always took around 1000 feet to open. That means that I was with my canopy between 1700-2500 feet. This generated a big risk if I had to do emergency procedures, so I was a little worried.

And no matter how me or my packer packed the canopy, it was consistently taking 1000 feet to open. I currently fly a Sabre2 170 loaded at 1.4, my exit weight is around 240 pounds.

Because of that I'm conseidering maybe to change my main canopy or even buying a second canopy for situations where a shorter snivel would be very good ("Having the right tool for right job.").

So what I would like to know, is there any canopy in tha market that has shorter snivels? And by how much? I'm not looking only for the advertised snivel, but the actual experience of other skydivers regarding opening of their canopies.

I've got about 800 jumps on the PD Pulse (I have two). They don't open hard, they don't snivel, they just open, in probably 400 feet or so. Generally on heading, great glide ratio if you end up long, I'd think it'd be a worthy contender for your big-way canopy. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A Pulse is an option. Be aware that they pack smaller than similar sized canopies so make sure your container will hold a smaller pack volume. Also, I have been told that the flare power starts to decrease as you approach a WL of 1.4:1. Due to this, you might want to upsize to a 190.

Another canopy to look at is a Storm by PD. Is is a 7 cell that opens quick but soft. It is trimmed a bit steeper than a Sabre2. It is a favorite of WS fliers because of it's dependable openings that don't snivel forever.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The first step is to ask your local rigger to inspect your suspension lines.
Remind him/her to compare your lines with the factory line trim chart (available on-line). By the time the outboard Q lines have shrunk more than 3 inches. openings will change ... maybe get a lot worse.

Triathlon still available new. Original Sabre available widely used. Any old school F-111 canopy. All open like real parachutes in 200-300'.:) Not these new things that streamer (know renamed snivel) for 800' and then finally decide to open.:S

But I'm an old fart willing to get out at 2000'.;) Hearing flat line on my timeout with opening at 1200' when demoing a Spetre in 1997 was not good.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have 1500+ jumps on a Sabre2 135 loaded at 1.4 and the openings are quick but comfortable. I do not tolerate snivels!

I pro-pack and do not roll the nose as it is only covered by the tail. I use tubestows for consistent tension of the line stows.

Pulling at 2500' and having a 1000' snivel is a problem! Call PD.

likestojump

Which precision instrument(s) are ya'lls using to measure the altitude loss in a snivel ?

I know when Im pitching within a 100 ft when im wing suiting but never bother to look again to measure the opening. I use sunnto I don't care what anyone says those things work.
BASE 1519

I don't think the issue is changing your canopy so much as looking at the canopy itself. For example on my Kanata the difference between tucking the nose and not is about 500'. I'd suggest talking to PD directly as they have a lot of experience in this area. As riggerrob already suggested check the trims. Maybe make sure you have the right slider with it. I have a hundred or two jumps on a Sabre2 and I don't think I ever had an opening as slow as 1000'

-Michael

Jumped my PD 9-cell 170(f111) for awhile and I would always get "nice" 300' openings. They never really "slammed" me...though I did roll the nose every time. They were fast but not unpleasant.
Bare in mind that you got an f111 canopy for low quick openings on big-ways, then remember to not load it over 1:1.
I wouldn't recommend loading f111 more then 0:8 to be honest.

Now I jump a sabre 1 150 and get beautiful soft snivels :]