aprwvu

U.S. Flag Patch on Rig

I'm thinking about sewing a U.S. Flag patch on my container, just below the 3-rings. It's a common place for embroidery. According to U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 8(j) (No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.) I am not military. Is this, in any way, disrespectful?

So the flag will likely be presented vertically? Just make sure you don't take a horizontal patch and turn it 90 degrees clockwise. It's a pet peeve of mine.. Not really because of "disrespect" but because it shows ones ignorance of proper display. In this day and age where you can simply google anything and have an answer within 20 seconds, there is no excuse.

ETA You can find an example of both disrespect AND ignorance HERE;)

US flag patches are worn on athletic uniforms (and/or helmets, warmups, etc.) fairly frequently. Google it and you'll see lots and lots of examples. As long as it's done tastefully and respectfully, it seems to be acceptable.

FWIW, the US Code section you (correctly) cite is merely a suggested guideline, for the sake of both respect and uniformity. Otherwise, it carries no mandatory weight of law.

piisfish

***Okay, just don't drag that American flag through the mud.

or don't fly it head down.

More seriously don't sew it yourself. Ask your rigger why.

At least he didn't say he was going to hand tack it to his closed reserve container. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

piisfish

At least he didn't say he was going to hand tack it to his closed reserve container. :P

hand tack ? just rivet it :D

Glue holds even better, especially the newer cyanoacrylate glues.
Hah!
Hah!

Seriously, ask your local rigger to inspect your sewing before you jump.

Quite the opposite. More power to you.

I'm in Europe. The Brits have the Union Jack on so many things. Coffee mugs, tents, cars... I wish more Americans were proud of their country.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

The Brits have the Union Jack on so many things. Coffee mugs, tents, cars... I wish more Americans were proud of their country.

I have mixed feelings about this. When I was growing up, the rule was you didn't use the American Flag as a decoration. Now it used for underwear and a towel to be draped over a runners shoulder when they win a race.

I guess I am just an old man now.

Hey kids - get off my lawn !!
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Understood. I just think it is hard to be disrespectful of the symbol when you are displaying it for the sake of pride.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

Understood. I just think it is hard to be disrespectful of the symbol when you are displaying it for the sake of pride.

That depends a lot on your point of view.

The "Flag Etiquette" rules are pretty clear. You are in the military, I'm going to assume you are familiar with them.

But what is listed as "proper" and what is acceptable has changed over the years. It used to be that wearing it as decoration on clothing (not a properly displayed patch) was not ok. Abbie Hoffman took flak for wearing his "Flag Shirt" at the Viet Nam protest in Washington DC, but there was an almost identical shirt worn by a serving General who led the "Rolling Thunder" motorcycle ride a few years back.

And of course, right after the terrorist attacks in 2001, you weren't patriotic enough if you weren't wearing a flag on just about every article of clothing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

:P

Nope. Nuh uh. Not gonna.

Finally learned my lesson.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys a pig.

ETA: Andy - you are not the pig. There just happen to be a whole bunch of them in SC. Wanted to clarify that.