vcarter

Checking License Number Before you buy

So I was wondering if there is a way to check on an actual license number of a person selling gear on dropzone? I found a system that I want but I do not want to get jammed up and lose money (They are expensive as all heck). I was wondering if there is a way that I can like check up on this guy that some of you experienced folk may know of?

I have thought if asking what dropzone he jumps at and asking the DZO if he actually exist. I think what really is scaring me is that he has a profile that is not all the way filled out (actually quite empty) yet has a C license. Yet the pictures have his full face multiple piece of gear listed. UGH! I need gear before I lose anymore money with rentals!

Life finds its purpose and fulfillment in the expansion of happiness

--- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Yes you should call the DZ and inquire about him. You should also ask for the contact information of the rigger that does his repacks.

If he is legit he should have no problem providing references.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

You don't need his license, that also wouldn't prove much, he can get any license number from any guy that signed his logbook.

Get his name and talk to the DZO, ask if he's reliable, yes. That helps.
Even better, if you get his name and a description of the gear (brand, colors, S/N), talk to the rigger that last inspected and packed his reserve, that will give you a good idea of the conditions of the gear.

Sure, there could be a well thought scam, but that's the best you can do to prevent it. That's how I did it when looking for rigs on dz.com, the FB groups, and even ebay and I was able to get some good info on the guys I was buying from as well as the gear I was buying before it was even shipped to me to look at it and, truth be said, they proved to be accurate and honest (and so were the 4 or 5 people I dealt with).
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

CaptnCrunch

go through a Local Dealer / Rigger to have the Transaction Brookered, it puts BOTH SIDES at ease, the fee you pay the Dealer is worth it !

An escrow agent is the way to go for both sides. Use your DZO or rigger.

I have escrowed quite a few deals. I have never charged a fee. My DZO has escrowed deals for me as well, he does not charge a fee.

If the deal is contingent on an inspection you should say that up front. You would need to pay for the inspection.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Thanks Southern_Man! I will have to ask my home DZO if he would not mind doing something like this. Also would have to see if the seller would agree to something like this too. Which is safe on both sides of the fence too.

Life finds its purpose and fulfillment in the expansion of happiness

--- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

I have also escrowed dozens of used parachute deals.
I don't bother charging an escrow fee, because I already make enough money off the inspection, repack and any repairs.
My primary goal is to see young jumpers get decent gear that is appropriate to their skill level.

OTOH I also prevented a senior licensed jumper from buying a second-hand Micro Raven 120 reserve. The Raven was in like-new condition, but he was way too heavy to jump a Micro Raven reserve.

Just to pile on a little more, search "Rigger as escrow" for more info.

Short version:
You and seller agree on an independent 3rd party to inspect gear (rigger, DZO, dealer)
Seller sends gear.
Escrow agent inspects gear, gives you green light.
You send seller money.
Seller tells escrow agent that funds have arrived and cleared.
Escrow agent sends you gear.

A lot of dealers will do the escrow part for free, they get paid for the inspection process.
Chutingstar is one. Look on their site for more info.
Legit private sellers shouldn't have a problem with it. It protects them as well as you.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Read up in the scams forum. Most of the scams are people selling gear that doesn't exist. Ask the seller to send a picture of the reserve data card or even any other picture. A scammer can't do this because they don't have the gear.

I have sent money up front several times. $950 and $1050 for wingsuits, $1100 for a rig, etc.

My last purchase was (almost) escrowed by Chuting Star. I paid for an AAD 4-year check. The seller sent the unit, they tested it, and as soon as it passed, they were supposed to tell me so I could send the seller his money. Instead they sent me the unit, so I just mailed the check as soon as possible.

As long as your seller is a real jumper, you shouldn't have a problem. On the other hand, as a brand new jumper looking for your first rig, you need guidance more than anything. Get that from a local rigger.