propilot

Air to Air communications. the "neckmike"

Was looking to improve the coaching experience with air to air coms, especially for tunnel training. I found posts on these forums about a company that aparently no longer exists. A few years ago they were trying to charge 1200.00 USD for a system. I guess it was too expensive.

I kept searching and found neckmike.us
neckmike.us
https://www.facebook.com/Neckmike

250 bucks. Apparently marketed both to motorcyclists and other sports (including skydiving, although it was pretty hard to find them).

Has anyone used this and care to comment on how well it works?

Thanks.

I tried various systems before ultimately building my own. However, I've seen the motorcycle systems built by Cardo
http://www.cardosystems.com/us/motorcycles/scala-rider-g9x-powerset in the air.

Some wind tunnel people are using them as well.

I tried neck mikes, found them useless. Perhaps some of the military applications work, I only tried a couple models before building my own system based around an Audio Technica UHF system built directly into a Bonehead Mamba helmet, using marshmallow/foamie earplugs for the receiver. It's a uni system; one broadcast multiple listen. It won't work for air-to-air if you need multiple people communicating.
The Scala system will work for wingsuiting; I've used it. It might work for freefall too, but I've not tried it in that environment.

I've tried neck microphones, they suck. Almost unintelligible in freefall, and not much better under canopy.

Your best bet would be one of the high end motorcycle systems.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Riding street for many years, we used chatterbox. They've improved over the years and the range is pretty significant, 2 to 5 miles depending on model. Would definitely need a full face helmet. On a windy day, with a great helmet blasting through the canyons at speeds in excess of 120 m.p.h. We could talk and hear each other just fine. Just a suggestion, I know more about bikes than skydiving at this point, hope this helps.