Skydivur17

Stowless/Semi or Regular???

I want to know what the benefits and costs are of having stowless d-bags versus semi-stowless versus regular d-bags.

I just order a Curv system (new everything) as my first rig and wanted to make sure I got what I really wanted. Good advice is appreciated :)

Sandy from RI has an all magnetic stowless d-bag he is working on. UPT has their semi-stowless as does VSE with their Party-bag.

I love my Party bag for WS or any other jump. No reason not to get one.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I jump an Infinity right now, but have a Curv on order. I just spent two weeks in Eloy and during the multiple wind holds I wandered over to Rigging Innovations and took a look at everything. The magnet bag is awesome, I can't wait to try it. RI has published packing instructions with some photos on their website under the support section that show how it works. Sandy and Angela gave us a demonstration at the factory.

http://rigginginnovations.com/files/Docuemnts/6/MAG-STOW%20PACKING%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

My current Infinity has the party bag, which works either way (you can pack semi-stowless or put bands on top of the bag and use it like a normal bag). I get much better openings packing stowless than fully stowed, but I've always wondered if there wasn't a better way to control the lines than shoving them into a pouch. I prefer the RI or UPT setup in that respect.

Skydivur17

I want to know what the benefits and costs are of having stowless d-bags versus semi-stowless versus regular d-bags.

I just order a Curv system (new everything) as my first rig and wanted to make sure I got what I really wanted. Good advice is appreciated [.:)]

I'm kind of ruined when it comes to the regular D-bags that I used for 20 years. I got my first semi-stowless from UPT and can see absolutely no reason to go back. None. My openings are better. Packing it is a breeze and I only have to replace two rubber bands (the locking stows) as opposed to the rest of them which only broke if I left my stash of them in the car.

I was kind of nervous about line dump or... SOMETHING because we had done it the same way for so long. This change felt strange but after a couple of months I was totally over it. The problem wasn't the gear. It was my mindset.

I probably wouldn't go for a completely stowless bag. Those two stows keep everything nice and neat until the lines are at full extension.

I have not seen the one from R I in person but I saw the pictures. It looks pretty slick!

ctrph8

***I want to know what the benefits and costs are of having stowless d-bags versus semi-stowless versus regular d-bags.

I just order a Curv system (new everything) as my first rig and wanted to make sure I got what I really wanted. Good advice is appreciated [.:)]

I'm kind of ruined when it comes to the regular D-bags that I used for 20 years. I got my first semi-stowless from UPT and can see absolutely no reason to go back. None. My openings are better. Packing it is a breeze and I only have to replace two rubber bands (the locking stows) as opposed to the rest of them which only broke if I left my stash of them in the car.

I was kind of nervous about line dump or... SOMETHING because we had done it the same way for so long. This change felt strange but after a couple of months I was totally over it. The problem wasn't the gear. It was my mindset.

I probably wouldn't go for a completely stowless bag. Those two stows keep everything nice and neat until the lines are at full extension.

I have not seen the one from R I in person but I saw the pictures. It looks pretty slick!

I have a completly magnetic bag and the reason I bought it was mainly because I hate replacing rubberbands.
What I never thought I would be packing quicker because of this bag, but it has really speed up the packing.
And I'm not a slow packer. I regulary pack my canopy in about 6-7 minutes neatly. I can make a rushpack in probably 5 and still be very happy with it but knowing it will open harder.

With this bag it has made the packing quicker. I only thought it would make a difference when/if a rubberband needed to be replaced.

Bear in mind that your rig will come with two bags. One is certian to be "semi-stowless". Your reserve will live in that bag. ;)

My point is that this is NOT new technology... we have used it in reserve systems for many years with great success.B|

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I switched to UPT's semi-stowless around 150 jumps when I was on a 170@ 1.2. While I wasn't as aware then as I am now about my deployments, I did notice smoother and more consistent openings then.
I went back to regular dbags for a few hundred jumps when I swapped containers, and just got one back. I notice the difference even more now.
Easier to pack, and more consistent and on heading opennings. Well worth the investment IMO

mattjw916

never had an issue with regular d-bags... don't see any reason to change

Jump a stowless for a while and you may change your mind.

Beyond being easier and faster to pack after getting familiar with it, a stowless bag give better, more consistent openings. One advantage - line twists are sometimes caused by a d-bag that rotates as the rubber bands release the stows unevenly. A stowless bag releases the lines smoothly from the center of the bag, virtually eliminating that possibility.

Chances are good you already jump a stowless bag - on your reserve. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

monkycndo

Sandy from RI has an all magnetic stowless d-bag he is working on. UPT has their semi-stowless as does VSE with their Party-bag.

I love my Party bag for WS or any other jump. No reason not to get one.

RI released their semi-stowless for orders yesterday! I have one on the way and will share my experience after a few hops.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Skydivur17

Got a semi-stow on my Vector 3 and i can't complain. To tell you the truth i'm lazy..so any way to save packing time is a plus. I hated stowing on regular d-bags and replacing rubber bands (when i replace the bands i usually replace them all for consistency).

chuckakers

,... a stowless bag give better, more consistent openings. One advantage - line twists are sometimes caused by a d-bag that rotates as the rubber bands release the stows unevenly. A stowless bag releases the lines smoothly from the center of the bag, virtually eliminating that possibility.
;)

The line twist issue is the primary reason I have a UPT bag on both of my rigs (UPT and Sunpath). The times I have line twist before I hit line stretch have dropped considerably. Maybe once or twice in the last 5-600 jumps? edit to add- and even then never more than 1 twist.

Jumping camera wings with a big ass burble, and canopies that often do not behave well in line twists, the stowless bag is well worth the $.

chuckakers

***never had an issue with regular d-bags... don't see any reason to change

Jump a stowless for a while and you may change your mind.

Beyond being easier and faster to pack after getting familiar with it, a stowless bag give better, more consistent openings. One advantage - line twists are sometimes caused by a d-bag that rotates as the rubber bands release the stows unevenly. A stowless bag releases the lines smoothly from the center of the bag, virtually eliminating that possibility.

Chances are good you already jump a stowless bag - on your reserve. ;)

Line twists were exactly the problem I was having. I commited to stowless packing and have had twists only one time since, on a wingsuit jump with an unstable deployment.

The magnetic bag was offered to me at Square2 when I purchased the Curv so I opted for it. Sandy also mentioned that he is working on a MARD system and revisiting magnetic riser covers, both which will be retrofit options for current owners.

JerryBaumchen

Hi plmmeter,

http://rigginginnovations.com/...G%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

I was visiting RI back in Feb. Sandy showed me a prototype version of his ( then called ) MagLock bag.

I offered him some ideas to improve it. Seems as though he paid attention.

B|

JerryBaumchen

I remember a thread about that, Jerry! B|

I don't have any problems to fix with my openings though so to me a stowless bag is just a solution searching for a problem.

Even my dislike of the old Mirage split d-bag can't motivate me to replace it since it just works so well. Plus the layout of the stows on the bag would seem to minimize any oscillations since the last stow is dead center and the next six are quite narrow compared to the first three.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

mark

***How many rubber bands are on a free bag?

. . . Waiting for the Racer fans to chime in here. . . ;)

Mark

I know JP hasn't drank the Racer Kool-Aid. But thanks for playing.

Vanna, what has Mark won?:P
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

pnuwin

Does the UPT semi-stowless bag add more bulk? If you have a full fitting main, will it be tighter in the container?

Same question as ''Pnuwin'' !
Does the UPT or other similar semi-stowless bag (Jerry's ) add more bulk ? However, I have a slightly loose fitting main, will it add volume to the container ? In my case, it would be beneficial. Thanks !

Hi Cambalectri,

semi-stowless bag (Jerry's ) add more bulk ?

I think that any difference is rather insignificant.

For the NoStoBag, you eliminate a number of rubber bands ( two are still req'd ) but you do add the two tuck tabs and the pockets that they tuck into.

I had my hands on a UPT stowless bag for a number of weeks a year or so ago and I think the same for them.

I would think that any 'difference' would be less than the packing technique/ability of the packer. Differences in packing can add or delete more 'bulk' IMO.

JerryBaumchen

Cambalectri

***Does the UPT semi-stowless bag add more bulk? If you have a full fitting main, will it be tighter in the container?

Same question as ''Pnuwin'' !
Does the UPT or other similar semi-stowless bag (Jerry's ) add more bulk ? However, I have a slightly loose fitting main, will it add volume to the container ? In my case, it would be beneficial. Thanks !

Just think about it.

350 cu.in. canopy is a 350 cu.in. canopy regardless where you gonna stow the lines. If the bag is properly sized for the container, you will not notice any change in the bulk.
I've jumped several stowless and semi-stowless "mass production" bags and some custom made prototypes and never had to change the length of the loop.

The experience from others may vary
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen