SkyDekker

Frontier Skydiving

One of my options, as a Canadian close to the US border, is to do my AFF progression in the States. The DZ closes to me in the US (and actually closer to me than most Canadian DZs) is Frontier Skydiving.
Just wanted to know is anyone on here is familiar with them (I know Andyman is) and what there thoughts are.
Thanks,
SkyDekker
"We cannot do great things, only small things with great love" Mother Theresa

Have you given a call and visited and spend a bit of time at St Catherine's DZ

yeah I have actually been in contact with two DZO's od DZs close ot me (Burnaby and SWOOP for those interested) and I have visited and spend some time on both those DZs. There is a St. Catharines Skydiving Club, but they jump from the Burnaby DZ and I am still not sure wat the difference between the two is.
I am trying to find a place where I obviously can get good and safe instruction, but due to taxes etc in Canada, the US is actually cheaper for me, even with the current exchange rates. Just hoping for some advice from all you guys and find out what the possibilities are and if a US A license would allow me to jump on Canadian Dzs or if I can use it to apply for a Cnadian license.
I am not looking for a home dz, just because I know I am not going to live in this area much longer. Actually I am fairly sure I will not see the end of the year in this area....
SkyDekker

If you get a USPA A licence, then you've got a licence that will be accepted as an A license at any DZ (in the world).
It wont allow you to get a B licence in CSPA. For that you need the A 1st (unless they changed that rule since I left.. the the requirements section of the licencing system on cspa.ca)
It wont allow you to take the CSPA Coach 1 rating (you'll need a CSPA licence for that).
That being said, once you have ur USPA A licence, you should have all the knowledge and ability to get a CSPA A. You may need to have a few jumps witnessed by a CSPA Instructor or Coach for sign off.
As far as St Cat vs Burnaby... as I remember, one is the DZ, the other the club..
I hope you didnt get my previous post wrong.. If you want to go stateside and it makes sense, please do! But I didnt like the way some DZs were refered to you by slaking off other places in other threads....
Remster
Muff 914

I didnt like the way some DZs were refered to you by slaking off other places in other threads...

I am not quite sure what you mean by that?
Actually, I just started thinking about the possibility of doing AFF in the states. The problem with Skydive Burnaby for me is, they require payment in two installments. One installment you pay before the first half of teh course, the second you pay befoer you can start the second half of the course. Normally I would not have a problem with this, however I could get transfered on a weeks notice. I don't want to be in a situation where I want to go back to them and try and get some money back cauz I am only 1 jump into it or some scenario like that.
The same somewhat goes for going to the states, since I am sure I cannot proceed with a US AFF program in Canada....
Ohh well, we'll just have to see what thesituation is come April/May. Thsi whole conversation may be for nothing since I may be in Ottawa or anywhere else in Canada...

Frontier is my home DZ. We offer straight AFF, or a tandem/AFF progression. Last year it was $285 for the FJC and AFF Level 1. It might be a bit more this year, but I'm not sure. We follow the ISP and use the two page proficiency card. You pay on a jump-by-jump basis, as opposed to a package. Lots of Canadians jump here, and several call it their home DZ. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Mike D-23312
"It's such a shame to spend your time away like this...existing." JMH

I went there once while visiting some good friends in Rochester. I did a jump and my friend did a tandem. He had to make a copy of the video because his kids were wearing it out!
The people there were very friendly. We also managed to jump before the small children (1 & 2) got too crazy from being out so long.
Come to think of it, I jumped there in August right after Quincy and made the 2nd jump after my cutaway at Quincy.
The Dutchboy
CFI, CFII, AGI, IGI
http://www.philsflying.com

I am not looking for a home dz, just because I know I am not going to live in this area much longer. Actually I am fairly sure I will not see the end of the year in this area....

Has my persistence finally paid off? You gonna give up Canada and move to the states?;)
Take a chance, or forever wonder...

Do it!
Do it now!
Come to the Dark Side.
No more of that 1000% sales tax or 10,000% income tax, no English vs. French thing (there are only two languages spoken here in Yankie land - English and that one spoken by McDonalds Employees - I think they call it Spanish?? j/k - thank gawd g/f doesn't read this forum or I would be in for a serious arse whoppin' at this point :) )

Has my persistence finally paid off? You gonna give up Canada and move to the states?

Yeah, all I need now is a fine American woman to marry me so I can get my green card :D
SkyDekker

I started with Mile-High out in Arnprior with the old IAD progression (they since moved to PFF) - they were of the opinion that with my move to the US, most DZ's would look at my skill progression and fit me into thier program as best they could - the PFF progression looked fairly similar to AFF in the skills grid (I went AFP, which, in my not even remotely humble opinion *heh* blows the two of them out of the water - but it's not cheap). By the time I went back to the sport, I was so non-current, I volunteered to start over with AFP 1 (but managed to avoid the tandems). But I guess my opinion boils down to - the more time you get with a qualified instructor, the better off you are in the long run - even if that extra time is due to a skeptical DZ requiring you to do an extra level or two of PFF/AFF - money is easy to replace, you are not.

You would probably have an easier time getting an engineering-esque degree, a H-1B visa and having a company sponsor you - my understanding is, you are 'higher priority' since you posses jobs skills that are in demand. An ex- of mine married a Yank guy and spent 4 years trying to get a Green Card, quite the pain she said.
Man, let me tell you - every Yank girl I ever dated had serious issues, I think it's pretty much a cultural thing in the US for women to require therapy of some sort or another. *runs for cover*

But I didn't marry any of them, mind you. My mama taught me: You don't marry for the money - you divorce for it - and she went and proved it - twice.
I'm starting to think mail order brides would be preferable to a local here in the US - at least if you don't like 'em - you can return them for a refund, so I hear *heh* They might even have a discount, buy one, get one free?

Man, let me tell you - every Yank girl I ever dated had serious issues, I think it's pretty much a cultural thing in the US for women to require therapy of some sort or another. *runs for cover*

All woman have issues....perhaps the "yank" woman have issues due to all the "yank" men around.
Take a chance, or forever wonder...

due to all the "yank" men around

Well, if you aint Dutch, you aint much :)My current gf might have a problem with me marrying a yank. Maybe I should look for a state where they are ok with polygamie :D:D
SkyDekker

"don't i get points for honesty?"
See...that's the first step...Crazy people don't know they're crazy! We all do weird things...it's just knowing what is weird and kinky so you can share it with me! :D
"It's the cans..they're defective. Stay away from the cans"-Steve Martin
Clay