dove

The luckiest girl...

Wow. I feel like the luckiest girl on earth! Sucks that I broke my tibia. It was a real shock. I had an awesome jump doing freestyle and was hooting and hollering the whole way down. I couldn't wait to get down and tell everyone about the awesome helicopter I got going. (I didn't learn the splits recently for nothing!) And I did an awesome swoop - but I came in just a tad high. No one, including me thought anything of it. I even got some compliments on my swoop! Just ran it out then fell back on my butt cause my knee hurt. But I was still screaming to everyone about what a kick-ass jump I had. Then I tried to get up on it and knew instantly something was terribly wrong. My knee was shifting side to side and I could put no weight on it. So I went to the ER and sure enough I broke the top of my tibia OFF - the part where the tendon is attached. The ER doc said no weight on it for 4 weeks, back to running in 6-8 weeks. OK - I can deal with that. Went to the best Ortho in the area (same guy who fixed up John Matthews) and he said no way. No olympics - no work. I will need be out for 4-6 months. I should have surgery next week to get several screws put in. But I went for my CT scan today and the obnoxious technician said first "Wow - that is REALLY swollen!" Yeah, no kidding bonehead! Then he did the scan and said "Boy - you really shattered it!" What an ass! Now I don't know if it's worse than we thought or if the tech is a dumb-ass... or both! I just know I want to skydive as soon as possible... but not until I am fully healed and can be sure that I won't hurt myself further. i'll stay out as long as I need to heal completely. But I am sad to be out - I was learning so much and having so much fun. Not to mention I was SO looking forward to working the olympics. Bummer. Now for the lucky part....
Brian Germain (of Big Air Sportz canopies - Samurai and Lotus) was gonna take me home to my place in St. Petersburg cause I couldn't drive my stick shift (my left leg is the broken one). He refused to take me home and he and his wife Michelle have been taking care of me in their home. It is a good thing cause I can't even get into bed myself. (This is the first time I've had pain so bad it literally makes tears well up in my eyes - not from self pity but just sheer excruciating pain) They are the ones who hooked me up with the best ortho in the area, take me to my appointments, feed me and most of all are the greatest friends. I don't feel my pain hardly at all when I am laughing with them. Skydivers are the most awesome people - and Brian and Michelle Germain are just incredible. I barely knew them at all before! Then... I get on the computer and there are all these wonderful emails from my dz.com friends. I haven't been back here since I broke my leg - don't know why. Couldn't face you all I guess. But thank you all for your emails and sweet posts and all your care and concern. I hope I get the chance to jump with each and every one of you in the NEAR future. I feel so lucky to have you. Wish me luck with the doctor - I SO hope it is just broken and not shattered. Scary. I love you all!
dove

Dove, it is great to hear that you are in good spirits. even better to hear that there are some people taking great care of you. These are the times you find your true friends.....
I hope that "all" you did was break the bone. Whatever it is, just get it healed and get back in the air.......
Keep your chin up and keep smiling.......:)SkyDekker
"We cannot do great things, only small things with great love" Mother Theresa

I'm glad you're ok. Forget the dumb fuckwit technician. When my boyfriend broke his leg all he got was doom and gloom from certain doctors. I think sometimes they feel they have to be as negative as possible, either so you don't get disappointed when it's worse than they said (and sue them!) or because they are sick, insensitive tossy power-trippers!
Anyway - they were wrong, my bf was up and about in about 1/3 the time that Dr Depressing predicted.
So - I hope it's not too unbearable for you while you heal. You'll be better in no time! Good luck!

But I went for my CT scan today and the obnoxious technician said first "Wow - that is REALLY swollen!" Yeah, no kidding bonehead! Then he did the scan and said "Boy - you really shattered it!" What an ass! Now I don't know if it's worse than we thought or if the tech is a dumb-ass... or both!

Now I'm not committing to anything here, but we got this great plan we never used to support Airann, and I think if we insert "Bonehead Technician" everywhere it says, "Nasty old lady dogbreeder" we can take care of this guy. All we need is his location and when it will be dark there.
We're there for you!

"Cage, Kirby, Little John, go out and get me a coupla Kraut prisoners!" - Vic Morrow
Is it hot in here, or am I crazy? - Charles Manson
flyhi
B|

When my parents were giving me a hard time about being at the dz alot instead of Sunday dinner with them every week, they told me that when the chips were down, it wasn't the skydivers who are going to be there for me, it's the family. I told them, no, skydivers are a tight bunch, and some of the best people on earth that I've ever met. I can't wait to tell them your story.
Blue Skies, Dove...hope you heal quickly. I'll even make the drive to Z-hills to jump with you when you get back in the sky!
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

Hi Dove
Hope you feel better soon (and make a complete recovery!). Please ignore Remi and Clay, they are extremely immature and trying to take advantage of you in your weakened state. If there is anything I can do for you (sponge bath etc.) please don't hesitate to ask!
Will
"The penis mightier than the sword"

Dove - You are awesome, Babe.
You will be ok in no time.

he and his wife Michelle have been taking care of me in their home

That is really really sweet, thoughtful and caring. I am glad that you know these wonderful people. I cant imagine a better skydivin helping hand than that kinda thing.
La la do dube do... (song)
L e a n on M e
When youre not strong
when you've busted your tibia...........
I will be there ... to lean on .....

http://www.AirAnn.com
Ugly Girl #6

Dove, I'm so glad to see that your spirits are good ... bustin' yourself up just before going to the Olympics has to suck REAL bad... but the strength of character you display serves as a reminder to the rest of us to keep a positve attitude when things don't look so good. Hang in there!!!
Frank

OK - so I saw the CT scans myself and my tibia really does look like hamburger. Yikes! I had to put them away and not look at them anymore. Then my family calls to say they think I am pushing the envelope too far. Last accident was someone else careening into me and this time everyone said my landing looked fine! I just ran out of luck! Shit happens - and apparently it is very attracted to me! But I'll heal and I WILL skydive again and I will swoop and I will enjoy my life to the fullest. Can't wait to get back up there. Thank all of you for your incredible support! It is so cool to log on here and read it all. I wasn't gonna post anything but since Nathan made the announcement on another thread I thought I owed a full explanation. Though I lurk more than I post I think of you all as friends since I know so much about you. So thanks. And if any of you all ever need me or a place to crash while you heal I am here for ya! Oh yeah... and since I told everyone to buy Larsen & Brusgaard audible altimeters after they replaced mine after my last accident - I have to ask you all to at least demo a Big Air Sportz canopy next time you are shopping for a main. Not only to support the most awesome skydivers on earth - but because seeing these things made and developed first hand I know I will never jump anything else! At least download the free manual with canopy flying tips on Bigairsportz.com! Brian just wants everyone to be safe! (And healed in my case!)
Love,
dove