dmkellett

WFFC 2002?

Hey guys and Girls I have a job that requires a lot of notice to get longer than a week off so I need to be putting in for August 1-12 soon if I want to go to the WFFC this year. Only problem is will there be one??? the website keeps giving deadlines for a decision and then not sticking to it. what is the general concensus? Those of you who went to Skydive Chicago's event last year....what was it like? is it a viable alternative to Quincy?
Thanks
Darren

Well lets see here. Now Feb. 4th and no anounced site yet, St. Joe, Mo. recently declined to host and Dav. IA is not interested this year appearently. As you pointed out self imposed deadlines haven't been met and the bulletin board on the freefall.com site has been shut down. I'll be placing my bet against any convention happening this year. While I hope they do get something worked out, I have pegged out my fun meter many times in the past at the wffc. Attended every year from 1992-2000. Last year I went to Summerfest at SDC looking for something smaller and quieter and that's just what I found. SDC has awesome facilities, If you haven't been there yet just imagine an entire airport/dropzone built from scratch by skydivers just for skydivers and a nice image forms in your mind, that's what you will find at SDC. The crowd was in the 300-400 range and I would expect a larger turnout this year if no wffc happens or is announced much later than yesterday if you know what I mean.
Opie
If your not on the edge, you can't enjoy the view!

Yeah...Laura and I were planning on going to the WFFC this year also for a few days on our way to Colorado. That is a shame. I guess we may have to try and stop by SDC for SummerFest or something, eh?

imagine an entire airport/dropzone built from scratch by skydivers just for skydivers

Ahhhhh......I think I need a towel. That sounds really awesome. I think it's only about 6 hours away from me, so that's not too bad.
Hope it all works itself out! Blues.
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

I flew one weekend at Summer Fest and jumped bigway (40-60) stuff the rest of the time. Decentralized manifesting, large hangar for packing, dirt diving, vendors, cooling off, large pond for swimming sunbathing, river for canooing, horse back riding, the Bell 222 helicopter, four otters, DC-3. Sound good for yah? And that's just scratching the surface. Last year there were many coaches for freeflying and flat flyers. Bigway to 1 on 1 coaching. And it's a fun party. You can make it as big as you want or as small as you want. It's available for your taking. The airport is privately owned for skydivers. The dates are set and the event will happen.
I've been to Quincy several times in my short time in the sport. I had a good time every time I went. So I'm certainly not bashing anything about the WFFC.
I would also suggest the Labor Day boogie at Richmond, IN, Lost Prairie, and Couch Freaks. Any one of these you'll have a good time at too.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com