shibu

N3 multiple issues

I was going to make my first jump with my ne N3. Last time I wore a new altimeter I used another one on my right wrist as a backup. I wish I did this time too.
The manual states that there is no need to turn on the N3 & it should turn on when the plane takes off. After ~1,000 ft and no signs of life I got nervous & pressed some buttons. I got to the alti screen but it read 0.0 at ~1,600 ft & it wasn't changing. Fortunately a more experienced jumped switched altimeters with me.

When I got to the ground he told me that he got the altitude corrected on the plane but the QNE is now ~8,000ft on the ground in NY!

I found a similar situation on the alti's forum (only the QNE was 190ft) but it states that it should not be zero bc it is not the Altitude, it is the pressure altitude and it is supposed to tell you how high you are above sea level.
I checked with 3 other jumpers on the ground that have N3s and they all read between -60 to -90ft. Not even close to my ~8,000.

Any ideas on how to fix it? I just downloaded and installed the Paralog with NMU functionality but it won't connect to my N3.

Overall not a good experience with my N3 so far.:S

1. There is a "I am on the Ground" function to correct this problem.

a. from basic screen (time, date, temp etc) press middle button.
b. select "DZ/AC set up'
c. select "Im on Gnd"

2. If #1 fails, check manual for how to reset.

3. I have had fabulous customer service experiences with Alti-2. CALL THEM!!!

4. I too always turn it on , press "ALT", and verify that it displays 0.0 before takeoff. This is no burden, as I would verify ANY altimeter before takeoff.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

GLIDEANGLE

b. select "DZ/AC set up'
c. select "Im on Gnd"

4. I too always turn it on , press "ALT", and verify that it displays 0.0 before takeoff. This is no burden, as I would verify ANY altimeter before takeoff.

^^ What he said.

I do this when I'm at the DZ (when I turn my cypress on i also Zero my N3A).

CaptnCrunch

i did about 100 Jumps with my N3 and never had an Issue, make a FULL RESET , if that dosent help - send it in.

I did the SW RESET (MENU>SYSTEM ADMIN>SW RESET>OK). It restarted but the QNE is still very high >5,000 ft now.

Next I did the RESET with the paperclip and got the same results.

I usually do not wait until it "turns on", part of my gear check is , press the middle button and make sure it switches on"

It did turn on on the ground. It just shut off before I got into the plane. I definitely should have been more familiar with this before jumping it.

GLIDEANGLE

b. select "DZ/AC set up'
c. select "Im on Gnd"

Thanks but I tried this with no results

I'm contacting them today.

Should have verified the 0.0.
It's on me. I should have been more familiar with the device.

GLIDEANGLE

....3. I have had fabulous customer service experiences with Alti-2. CALL THEM!!!....

Just got off the phone with them. They seemed concerned & asked me to ship the unit to them. They said they would cover the return shipping to me since it is such a new unit.

When I explained that this is my only functioning altimeter, she said they would try to send me a loaner altimeter immediately.

I am sorry this problem requires me to ship the unit to them but the customer service does seem reasonable.

Good morning, shibu!

I'm sorry to hear your N3 is misbehaving! I see by your latest reply that you have already been in contact with Barbara in Customer Service . . . I spoke to her a minute ago to offer my assistance (although she probably won't need it because she's awesome at her job :P). We will have a solution for you shortly.

Feel free to email me directly [email protected] or call me at (386) 279-0017.

Regards,

Alti-2, Inc. Staff

Alti2_Staff

Good morning, shibu!

I'm sorry to hear your N3 is misbehaving! I see by your latest reply that you have already been in contact with Barbara in Customer Service . . . I spoke to her a minute ago to offer my assistance (although she probably won't need it because she's awesome at her job :P). We will have a solution for you shortly.

Feel free to email me directly [email protected] or call me at (386) 279-0017.

Regards,

I called Barbara on Mon & just got my loaner alti today (wed). Now if you can do something about the weather in NY, I can jump Fri.

Seriously though, Great customer service.

shibu

I was going to make my first jump with my ne N3. Last time I wore a new altimeter I used another one on my right wrist as a backup. I wish I did this time too.
The manual states that there is no need to turn on the N3 & it should turn on when the plane takes off. After ~1,000 ft and no signs of life I got nervous & pressed some buttons. I got to the alti screen but it read 0.0 at ~1,600 ft & it wasn't changing. Fortunately a more experienced jumped switched altimeters with me.

When I got to the ground he told me that he got the altitude corrected on the plane but the QNE is now ~8,000ft on the ground in NY!

I found a similar situation on the alti's forum (only the QNE was 190ft) but it states that it should not be zero bc it is not the Altitude, it is the pressure altitude and it is supposed to tell you how high you are above sea level.
I checked with 3 other jumpers on the ground that have N3s and they all read between -60 to -90ft. Not even close to my ~8,000.

Any ideas on how to fix it? ....

UPDATE:
They got my N3 at Alti-2 and emailed me. Apparently I removed the little static electric label that comes on the LCD screen and put it on the back of the unit. I don't remember doing this but I did unpack and assemble it in a rush.

The back of the altimeter has two holes on it. One is for the speaker. The other is for the pressure sensor. The sicker may have created an airtight seal. :S
I don't even remember doing this but I was rushing. So hopefully this will prevent someone else from being careless with their gear.

They are still testing the unit for any other issues.

Ok. Flame on. I deserve it.[:/]