leapdog

history of parachute riggers

Does anyone know when the FAA released FAR 65 sub part A and F and about when the first civilian rigger certificates were being issued?

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

leapdog

Does anyone know when the FAA released FAR 65 sub part A and F and about when the first civilian rigger certificates were being issued?

TSO-C23b was issued in 1949. Parachute Rigger became a job rating in 1942. This is the best I can come up with.

http://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/Document?db=DOT-CARS&query=(select+0+(byhits+(field+DOCUMENT+(phrase+parachute+rigger))))

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Civilian riggers predate the FAA.

I have a book entitled "Parachute Technician" by Charles A Zweng published by Pan American Navigation Service.

The preface reads "This text is especially written to prepare the applicant for his government rating. The first text of its kind. Here the parachute technician will find a basic text fortified with pertinent "typical Multiple Choice examinations", designed to prepare him for his written test. Contents Include Construction, Operation, Inspection and Maintenance, including instruction covering parachute packing." While not dated written in pencil on the inside cover is '1944'.

This book includes Civil Air Regulations on

Parachutes General(60.36 to 60.734): equivalent to some of part 105 AND some of SIM includes a parachute requirement for anybody doing aerobatics, a minimum jump altitude for exhibition, training, or demonstration of 2000', prohibits freefall other than "necessary to properly and safely clear the aircraft, which in no case, except in an emergency jump, shall be less than 1,500 feet above the surface of the ground," flotation near water, a permit from the administrator for every jump except emergency jumps, and the 60 day packing requirement.

Parachutes (Materials and Tests) (15.31 to 1531); equivalent to the TSO standards including that zig zag will be two step, Functional Tests (Normal Pack), Functional Tests (Twisted Lines), Strength Tests, Rate of decent and more.

Part 25 Parachute Technician Certificates (25.0 to 25.9): equivalent to Part 65 and the Practical Test Standard with all of the requirements for THREE ratings, Parachute Rigger, Senior Parachute Rigger, and Master of Parachute Maintenance. It also includes written test questions, the requirment for a 3'x40' table, a seal and the use of it, AND direction for how someone with a current mechanic certificate with a parachute rigger rating will only be valid for up to 12 months after Jan 21, 1943, "during which time the holder thereof may secure upon application a parachute technician certificate....". So the beginning of separate rigger ratings.

Also a section of lofts that includes regulation of parachute material, reporting of defects, definitions for major and minor repairs and major and minor alterations.

This book also includes chapters on the Harness, the Canopy, the Pack,Operation of the Parachute, the Jump, the Decent, the Landing, and a lot more.

This really does seem to be Poynter's, the CAR's, the SIM, the Practical Test Standard and some instructions all in one for 1943. Only 111 pages.

So, first civilian certificates were endorsements on mechanics certificates. From text above it seems separate parachute rigger certificates must have started Jan 21, 1943 and were required by Jan 21, 1944. Very interesting book with much of the current requirements.

Years ago before I had this book I traced the FAR's back into the CAR's but don't remember if I have copies somewhere.

BTW requirements for parachute rigger certificates included "Applicant shall be of good moral character.":):S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Extremely helpful- A friend of mine is doing a research paper for a college class- And he was asking about it. I guess he felt since I knew plenty about the history of skydiving gear Ect. that I would know the history of parachute rigging but I didn't and told him I would find out. Thanks!

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I'm thinking some good marketing. Would you want the "junior rigger" to pack your parachute?
It really would be interesting to know the thought process behind that designation.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

As I quote above in the Civil Aviation Regulations there were three ratings; Parachute Rigger, Senior Parachute Rigger and Master of Parachute Maintenance. Parachute rigger had to know one "make and type" and have 20 supervised packs, Senior had to know three types, have 2 years as rigger and have packed 25 of each type. Master was "3 different manufacturers including at least 4 types of parachutes and 3 types of canopies....", 5 years and 200 packs with at least 25 of each type and make and references.

At some point they dropped the bottom one.

Oddly enough these regs I have don't define types. But they do have special ratings of Parachute Jumper (written, oral and practical on test and exhibition jumps and 10 jumps) and Parachute Instructor (written, oral and practical, NO experience requirement). These were both add on's to rigger certificates.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE