iwanttofly

Storm or stay with Spectre?

Could some PD Storm riders out there help me with some of my questions? I have few herniated discs in my neck and for that reason I fly PD Spectre. I love its long snivel and slow openings. Landings are nice as well, accuracy is awesome but I would like a canopy that handles turbulence and penetrates wind a bit better. I have been going back and forward between Storm and smaller Spectre. My priorities are: 1-soft, very soft openings, 2- getting back from long spots down the wind, 3- handling of turbulence.
How soft are openings of a Storm? ("Some would compare them to that of a Spectre, with a slightly shorter snivel. The inflation speed of the Storm is quite comfortable, but ever so slightly quicker than that of a Spectre.") Fragile neck comfortable?
How ground hungry is it? More or less than a Spectre?
They say that Storm could be an upgrade to Spectre for some, with greater speed range and powerful flare that Spectre is missing. And those are two things I do like about Storm.

I had a Spectre and then now I have a Storm. I would say the reviews and feedback are accurate. I would also say they glide better, it's actually pretty impressive for a 7 cell especially when using the rear risers.

Have you thought about the Safire 2? I'm almost certain this will be my next canopy after hearing some great reviews. They are known to have very soft openings and then obviously the benefits of a 9 cell.

Try demoing a Storm, that way you can make your own observations about how it feels. While you're at it, try a Pilot too. Known for very soft consistent openings, great glide range, and nice strong flare. I think you'd like it too.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

The Storm is definitely faster, and has more flare power than a Spectre. It's sportier overall. It does not have the long snivel, but it does open softly. For jumping big rigs like the one pictured here, or other large cameras, I wouldn't consider anything else for how soft and consistent it is.

Give one a demo-ride. PD has demos in most sizes. If you're in the SoCal area, I have a 150, 170, and 190 in my school fleet. You're welcome to any one of them.

After I checked my PMs and read all responses here I can say it's 50/50. Half say storm has soft openings other half thinks otherwise. 50/50 is good for me to demo Storm and jump it for week or two without worry of my neck braking. In few weeks or couple of months I'll come back to this post and let you know what my neck thinks about new Storm ;)

I had a Spectre 190 and loved it. Replaced it with a Storm 190 and did not care for it. Openings were not as nice and not enough forward glide. After about 80 jumps on it I ordered a new pilot 168. I absolutely love this canopy! The openings are super soft and I land it better than the Storm every single time.