AggieDave

Co-Pilot Subdues Passanger With an Axe!

I have seen those crash axes from the inside...I dont really think the blunt end is really all that blunt.....but if your gonna play with the bull....ya better get ready for them fkn horns...the guy totaly deserved it......
marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

he could have smacked him with the side of the axe, f,er deserved it. If he wanted to talk to the captain he should just ask the Flight attendants to relay any msg's.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

"Seems the guy was not an Arab or a terrorist, he was just a nut, apparently"
Trying to break into the cockpit of an airborne jet? I don't give a F**k if you are an 80 year old grandmother. I'll still brain ya with a blunt object.....:)"I only have 125 jumps, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

You kill just one, and the rest will get the idea.

Speaking as a current airline pilot, no, they won't. This has always been the problem that we've complained about. This is why we need stronger doors. People can be affected by the altitude (especially with alchohol) and do things they would not normally do. It's not really their fault sometines but if they are in a fit of air rage then they should be held accountable.
Oh, and all the reports saying that he broke through a reinforced door are not true. He kicked out a panel that HAS to be there in case of decompression in flight so that we don't bust out a bulkhead equalizing pressure. Basically he stuck his head through and that is as far as he was going to get. Smacking him with the side of the axe (blunt side) was the right thing to do but if they had stun guns (the ones with the prongs, not the ones that shoot the wires) then he could have gotten the attacker subdued much easier without risking a skull fracture. We're pilots, not executioners. I will defend my cockpit until I die before I give it up but we can do things to prevent it from getting to that point.
The airlines need and must give us NON-LETHAL ways to subdue an unruly passenger. Not everyone is a damn hijacker you know. They don't ALL need to die.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com

"They don't ALL need to die."
Help is on the way. By the end of the year aircrews shouldn't have to deal with this crap anymore. Trained professionals will be on the job. It just takes time to hire and train all these people. Be patient...and keep whacking them in the head with blunt objects until the cavalry can get rounded up. :)"I only have 125 jumps, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

"didn't there used to be 'air marshalls' or something like that back in the 70's when everyone was hijacking planes?"
Always have been. The problem is that the budget was cut so far that I think they got down to 125 agents at one time. Last I heard they are hiring 25,000 this year to make things a bit safer in the airways.
"I only have 125 jumps, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

Yes, and we still have them. But if they can't get through the door in the first place then it makes the air marshall's or crews job easier. Air Marshall's are trained NOT to jump up at the first sign of trouble. A single unruly passenger will still be handled by the flight attendants and flight crew.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com

"Yeah, but theyll never have a marshall on every flight, or even most flights. It would cost too much."
True......

Dude, I'd volunteer in a heartbeat...but I don't think they would trust me with anything more exciting than a pea shooter...something about putting a gun in the hands of a crazy person...lol...
TripleF
BOOBIES, BOOBIES, BOOBIES, BOOBIES...(Whoops, I said it again...Tee-hee...)

This is why we need stronger doors.

Yes, stronger doors are definitely necessary - but it is somewhat of a logistical nightmare on the engineers part.. They have to design a strong door that will keep people out of the cockpit, but they also have to consider rapid depressurizations and emergency egress.. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to use the escape rope unless absolutely necessary..
I hear that Alaska has begun retrofitting their planes with reinforced doors......I'm curious to see how it's made, and how it will react to a rapid depressurization..
Mike

The Feds need to work out an agreement with forgien goverments to allow armed Air Marshals onto forgien turf for escourt duty on any inbound or outbound US flight (hopefully they would be well trained in both non-lethal and lethal use of force). Pilots shouldn't have to worry about anything other than flying the plane, while arming them with a zapper, pepper spray, axe handle, lessons on how to drop an atomic elbow from the 3rd rope are great as last resort means of self defense, they are just that - last resort - that guy shouldn't have made it past the first kick to the door.
The idea once proposed of a 2 drink maximum also sounds like a (modestly) good idea, or voluntary dropping of alchohol service by the airlines - dunno about anyone else, I'm on the plane to travel, not drink - especially since they serve crap beer (hell, I'd wonder to see the effect if just one airline did it and sent out the sales pitch, 'we do it for your safety' and pointed out all the yahoos who ticked off other passengers cause they were drunk on competing airlines). Greyhound doesn't serve alchohol on thier buses, why should United/American/etc serve it on a plane?
- just give me more leg room, stop editing the movies for 'content', bring back the thin, cute, young flight attendants (and one burly mean looking s.o.b in front of the cockpit door), and I'm a happy camper :)
Off to Costa Rica tommorow, Continental said I could bring my rig on board - even pointed out where to find the section on thier website that said so, to print out. Wasn't expecting that. Now lets see how the team of high school drop out and G.I. Joe react at security here in backwater MSN, I imagine the question(s) will start with, "Whuffo...."