justme12001

flag setup?

A lot of people still use that kind of weight, personally I think sewing the weight into the full front is the best way to go, but would mean doing work or building a flag for demos, most people won't bother with all that and just do what you see in the pic.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I prefer the weight down the leading edge as well. That's what I have on my flag.

I understand that most people still use a weight on bottom. I still use that on alot of jumps, (esp when using other peoples flags)My problem with this weight is that it appears to be a "bar bell" weight, a solid chunk of concrete.

Just seems to me a bag with lead shot is at least a little better than a bar bell weight.

justme12001

I prefer the weight down the leading edge as well. That's what I have on my flag.

I understand that most people still use a weight on bottom. I still use that on alot of jumps, (esp when using other peoples flags)My problem with this weight is that it appears to be a "bar bell" weight, a solid chunk of concrete.

Just seems to me a bag with lead shot is at least a little better than a bar bell weight.

A lot has to do with the flag size and how it is deployed. The first picture is a 1500 sq ft commercial flag. The deployment bag is hanging below with the weight in the bottom of the bag. The second one is 300 sq ft and the weight is on the lower half of the leading edge. I have found that the flag flies better with weight up high. As for using a bar bell weight I am not sure what would hurt more, getting smacked in head with a 20 lb bar bell or a 20 lb shot bag. The important thing is that it is attached in a secure manner.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I am having trouble visualizing the weight and the D-bag being at the bottom of the flag. How do you release the flag and have the bag go with it?

Is the weight outside or at the bottom of the bag, and pulls the bag away from the flag as it drops away?

The first picture is my flag, it's 760 sqft and has the weight down the leading edge. I love the way it flies, stays nice and straight like it's on a pole.

The second is a 2100 sqft that a friend made, and has his weight on the bottom.

mjosparky

The second one is 300 sq ft and the weight is on the lower half of the leading edge. I have found that the flag flies better with weight up high.

I recognize that flag. ;)

I have found that the flag flies better with weight up high.

Agreed.

As for using a bar bell weight I am not sure what would hurt more, getting smacked in head with a 20 lb bar bell or a 20 lb shot bag. The important thing is that it is attached in a secure manner.

The strength of the materials used in a shot bak and it's attachment are known and quantifiable.

The strength of a concrete doughnut wrapped in a thing plastic shell are not.

Just sayin'.

B|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.