christoofar

Quincy Rumors?

The reports I heard from Q2001, it was a waste of time... too many cops, bad vibes, etc.
Personally, I'll never ever, EVER let Kirlin lie to me again by attending ANY event he plans...
I drove out in 2000 specifically for the weekend of the Jet... the year he KNEW he wasnt gonna have a jet, but chose to lead us all on in order to not lose the business (like mine) he would by admitting it wouldnt be there. They claimed that it backed out at the last minute due to them being able to make more $$ hauling cargo that day. The proof after the fact showed he lied outright (the letter to the editor of parachutist from amerijet after they got nasty letters from us for supposedly backing out at the last minute, when they told Kirlin at the end of Q1999 that in no uncertain terms would they EVER return due to insurance reasons). /rant
Regardless of my feelings towards Don, I feel that its dead as long as its at the quincy airport. Its gotta move out of town, preferrably to private property, or risk more stupid restrictions that have ruined it so far. Also, restrict it to jumpers only. It seems the locals are the ones that always cause trouble (whether they come in legit or sneak in).

i've gotta say i went in both 2000 and 2001, and had an awesome time both years. yes there were more cops and less people in 2001, but it was still a blast. if you only went for the jet, of course you'd be upset. i went to make some great skydives out of a lot of different aircraft with cool people from all over the world, and i did. i jumped the bomber, biplane, helicopter, balloon, mullins king air, skyvan, casa, otter... etc. etc. and to be with thousands of other skydivers from everywhere, i got to jump with the golden knights, monkey claw, rodriguez brothers, muff brothers and just about anyone... I made a lot of new friends and partied every night.
don't bash quincy 2001 just becuase of rumors. i went to summerfest for a couple days as well. i made some awesome skydives with the Nelson's and everyone up at SDC, but it was very different from Quincy. Summerfest was like you average good weekend at SDC, enough people to keep the planes flying back to back, pretty mellow crowd and no big night time festivities... summerfest disperses when the sun goes down and everyone goes their own way, whereas quincy everyone comes together at night to party hard and socialize. and summerfest only had a few hundred people.
It depends on what you're looking for... if you want low-key quiet at night go to summerfest... if you want more people bigger social scene go to WFFC.
i'm hoping they can work something out to keep WFFC alive becuase it is still the most fun i've ever had on any vacation... but like everything else, it is what you make of it.
:)lew:S

This is cut from Roger's weekly update he sends out:
"This month I will know if I can raise the additional funds we need. I am optimistic. The time table looks like a grand opening on August 1st, just before "Summerfest", which by the way, is going to be huge. People are confirming from everywhere in mass. It looks like we will easily break 1,000 jumpers. Of course, our 3 super Otters, the DC-3 and the helicopter will be there and I will bring in at least 2 other turbines. "
Looks like Summerfest is going to be pretty big:D
I'll go to college; learn some big words; I'll talk real loud god damn right I'll be heard.

ok, I love Roger and Skydive Chicago, but this is him promoting his event you know. SDC is the biggest and best dz in the midwest, and most boogies can't compare to 3 Otters. But it's still not wffc. I don't doubt he'll break 1000 jumpers though, including me, with Don unable to secure a location and make plans for this summer, there's probably not going to be a wffc 2002, and everyone will go to chicago. if that's the case, i sure hope Roger brings home some other planes becuase 3 Otters won't keep everyone happy....
spread the love

But it's still not wffc.

I know it's not the wffc and because there probably not be a wffc a lot of people will be going to chicago instead. My point of that post was to show that a hell of a lot more people are going to be there so hopefully everyone will party together. I agree that he should get a CASA at least instead of 12 otters or whatever:P Otter's are nothing new you know. No matter how many there are.
I'll go to college; learn some big words; I'll talk real loud god damn right I'll be heard.

This month I will know if I can raise the additional funds we need. I am optimistic. The time table looks like a grand opening on August 1st, just before "Summerfest", which by the way, is going to be huge. People are confirming from everywhere in mass. It looks like we will easily break 1,000 jumpers. Of course, our 3 super Otters, the DC-3 and the helicopter will be there and I will bring in at least 2 other turbines

Roger made the exact same prediction last year, 1000 jumpers. I think he maxed out at 600 individual jumpers, over the whole week.
Which isn't bad, but it isn't WFFC.
I went to Quincy last year. I had a great time. Yes, there were more cops. Yes, there were still naked skydiving. There was still a line-up of airplanes that's never been matched.
I don't know where I'll end up this year, it really depends on what Kirlin has to say. If Kirlin manges to get it togeather, get me some fun planes, I will probably go play there. I can jump Roger Nelsons otters any time I want.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I know it's not the wffc and because there probably not be a wffc a lot of people will be going to chicago instead. My point of that post was to show that a hell of a lot more people are going to be there so hopefully everyone will party together. I agree that he should get a CASA at least instead of 12 otters or whatever Otter's are nothing new you know. No matter how many there are.

Umm, my memory of Summerfest is that those who wanted to party together did so in the hanger at night in the big auditorium. Those who wanted piece and quiet or smaller groups got them in the campground with bonfires. That's the nice thing about the facility is that those who want to be loud and party hard can do so and the sound doesn't travel so much through the whole campground. Best of both worlds?
Oh, if there's gonna be 1,000 jumpers you can count on more aircraft than three Super Otters. But what if they are all otters? Do you go for the skydive? Or the type of doorway you step through? Jump Planes are just glorified ski lifts. Yes, that makes me a glorified ski lift operator. You wanna keep costs down? Then the Super Otter is the safest, most efficient turbine jump plane out there.
But for kicks we have the Bell 222 Helicopter.
Yep, Summerfest is just a different feel. It's a different boogie. No doubt about it. That's the whole point, I believe, to the marketing of it......Anyway, I had a great time last year flying and jumping at it.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com

The problem I saw with Summerfest last year (I was only there 4 days so it might have been different earlier in the week) was it seemed to be a SDC regulars and then the rest of the people thing going on. There were two seperate areas almost. The SDC regulars stayed in their trailers or camped in yards near the trailers and the others stayed in the field across from the pond and hanger. The main entertainment was indoors when it was like 75 degrees at night and it just was too nice to be inside any more. It felt clickish almost...
Political Correctness - At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

Cliqueish? That's unfortunate. Yah, lot's of jumpers have established camping there with their trailors. Should they all move out so they can be evenly dispersed among all the visitors? Gosh, we all hang out together cuz we know each other already. When I go to Quincy I find friends that I've known for years and hang with them usually. I meet new people along the way, but it's usually because I introduced myself.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com

Cliqueish? That's unfortunate. Yah, lot's of jumpers have established camping there with their trailors. Should they all move out so they can be evenly dispersed among all the visitors? Gosh, we all hang out together cuz we know each other already. When I go to Quincy I find friends that I've known for years and hang with them usually. I meet new people along the way, but it's usually because I introduced myself.

Exactly. And this is one of the reasons that WFFC has been such a cool thing for so many years. It's the place where everybody's equals. There are no regulars, there are no attitudes, it's not the case that the regulars have alredy theifed the good camping spots near the washrooms.
And yeah, Otters may be ski lifts, but CASA's let you do big ways, PITTS Specials are just fun, and your 212 has got NOTHING on the 412.
Plus you've got Rogers moralistic attitudes, that he's chosen not to hide more recently.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

"but CASA's let you do big ways"
dude, good skydivers let you do big ways not CASA's. Granted the wffc has an awesome variety of aircraft, lift capacity will be more than enough at summerfest. Roger never seems to have trouble finding aircraft, including your beloved CASA's when needed.
"Rogers moralistic attitudes"
Roger's beliefs are his and he will share them with you if you ask, but I don't think you'll find anyone who feels he pushes them onto anyone that does not ask. After all most of the regulars still like to STL ;-)
Opie
If your not on the edge, you can't enjoy the view!

Oh, you haven't been around SDC much then. There are plenty of boobies there. But if that's all you're interested in then have fun at Quincy. I happen to think that women have more to give to skydiving than just boobies, boobies, boobies.
Oh, and it's a Bell 222. Which part of the "hot shit" ride didn't you get on your flight at SDC? I've ridden both and had a blast on both. Nuf said.
Roger's moralistic attitudes? Well, it's a big place and if you don't want to see Roger the entire time you're there it's pretty easy to accomplish. Don't know what else to tell you or anyone else reading this. It's not like us regulars stand on one side of the gym and the visitors on the other playing "Red Rover". "Red Rover, Red Rover send AndyMan right over." I promise you, though, if you do visit again I will personally make a point to introduce you to some fun people.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com

Umm, my memory of Summerfest is that those who wanted to party together did so in the hanger at night in the big auditorium. Those who wanted piece and quiet or smaller groups got them in the campground with bonfires. That's the nice thing about the facility is that those who want to be loud and party hard can do so and the sound doesn't travel so much through the whole campground. Best of both worlds?

Point taken

But what if they are all otters? Do you go for the skydive? Or the type of doorway you step through?

Last year I went for the novelty aircraft. I was a fresh jumper w/ about 30 jumps who didn't really have the experiance (sp)of pulling off multiple points or doing freefly jumps w/ other people. I went and had planned on doing mostly solo's out of a chopper etc. but it wasn't flying when I was able to come down. SDC is my home DZ so the change was what I was looking for.
This year will be totally different however Chris. I have a goal of making 150 jumps this season which might not seem like a lot but its a goal that has a good chance of being met. So when I go to Summerfest this year it will be about the jumps w/ other people etc. and have an awesome time camping and jumping.(out of whatever gets me to alti)

Dont get me wrong,I'm not bashing Quincy the event... I am bashing Quincy the management company, Don Kirlin in particular. I enjoyed myself when I was there, but was disappointed (and angry at Amerijet) when the Jet didnt show. Several months later when the truth came out, I was downright furious (with Don's lies).
If they had been honest and forthcoming that the jet wasnt gonna be there, I would have been disappointed, but would have returned. SInce he wasnt, I cant in good conscience trust his organization, because what else will they lie to me about... something important like safety?

>The proof after the fact showed he lied outright (the letter to the editor of parachutist from amerijet after they got
>nasty letters from us for supposedly backing out at the last minute, when they told Kirlin at the end of Q1999
>that in no uncertain terms would they EVER return due to insurance reasons). /rant
Dude, they say that every year. Every year there's another reason that someone (AmeriJet, the FAA, the airport) says there's no way you can put jumpers out of that airplane. Insurance, seat belts, form-337 problems, you name it. If Kirlin informed people every time yet another agency said the jump would never happen, no one at Quincy would ever have jumped from a 727. Heck, he didn't have final approval from the FAA until about a week before Quincy the first time he tried to have the jet come to the Convention - and that was after at least one FAA official said there was no way in hell that he would ever get approval.
If Quincy does happen again, he'll be out there trying to get aircraft like the C130, Super Connie, B17, 727 and the blimp. He'll probably succeed 75% of the time. I admire him for the 75% of the time he succeeds - I don't condemn him for the 25% of the time he fails.
-bill von

If Quincy does happen again, he'll be out there trying to get aircraft like the C130, Super Connie, B17, 727 and the blimp. He'll probably succeed 75% of the time. I admire him for the 75% of the time he succeeds - I don't condemn him for the 25% of the time he fails.
-------------------------
I can appreciate failures too.... just not outright lies.
but I think this is enough about this... no sense beating a dead horse... next topic....

I think Chris and everyone has some good points, from different perspectives....
not to open another can of worms, we all know the story behind this..., i just wish Summerfest and WFFC weren't at the same time so i could enjoy both.
after all it is about SPREAD THE LOVE isn't it?
so chris, jump with me at summerfest?
no flashing though sorry.

Still un-announced since St. Josphes pulled out. It will take like $500000 to make the inferstructe upgrades to any airport to let it hold that many skydivers for a week plus. I'm just not seeing any of the upgrades being done in time if its not announced in a week or two and they start work that week.
Political Correctness - At least one person at any one time will be offended by something

No flashing needed. Spandex will do fine. And I agree about WFFC and Summerfest being at the same time but that's really up to the buisness men involved.
I have also had a thought....something I noticed here and on rec.skydiving......every time a thread starts about WFFC someone seems to pipe up about Roger's place or Summerfest. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the topic of the thread is WFFC info, dates, location it's kind of a negative thing to go on and on about Summerfest. I am now guilty of it too. Another HIJACKING!!!! Well, I guess I just can't resist when someone asks about Ottawa, SDC, Summerfest. Maybe I should have copied and paisted it into a new thread to respond. I think I'll do that from now on.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com