Safelandings

N3, is it loud enough???

JeffCa

At least we hopefully stopped them before they returned the N3 as defective.

I wish to be the first to offer you $25 for your defective N3.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Safelandings

The reason I asked this question was because I assumed that if it offered the altimeter as a visual with free fall alarms, I assumed the alarms would be loud enough. I've never heard one go off so had no idea how high pitched it was. I also would have though that in the description, it would have stated that to hear free fall alarms in free fall it needs to be mounted on the helmet.

Yes you are a student and will be learning for the rest of your life. We want that to be long.

The bold part above is the problem. And, quoting from an Alti-2 website describing the product.. "The N3 is a digital altimeter which can be used as either an audible or visual. Emphasis added by me.

We remember when we were baby skydivers. But every day there are new questions that some of us just can't believe. The manual doesn't say to hear the alarms you have to wear it in your helmet. But is does say that the hole in the helmet must be aligned with the speaker hole on the N3 or you may not hear the alarms. Hard stretch to think you can hear them from your wrist in freefall.

But, we have learned one more thing that we can't rely on common sense to teach, that we will have to explicitly state.:S

We are a bunch of crotchety old farts that want you to make it to 100 jumps. Forget the assumed! Ask those questions you 'assume' your know the answer to before you ask one we can't believe.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

AlanS

I hope the original poster doesn't mind if I ask a question here.

I'm considering the N3 for my helmet because i like the idea of the countdown 10...9...8... in 1,000 foot increments as you are dropping. (I currently have an N2 Alti for my wrist)

My question for people that have the N3 is, do you use this feature and do you like it?

Does anyone else have a setup like that?

Does anyone consider having two altimeters from the same manufacturers a safety risk? (i.e. if they ever give a wrong reading both could be bad in the same way)

Alan

Then you want the N3A or N3-Audio, I can't remember how it's called.
Which is a DIFFERENT product from the "regular" N3 and won't work as a visual altimeter.
I personally wouldn't use it at low jump numbers because (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding) it involves wearing some earphones/earbuds similarly to an mp3 player... honestly that's one more thing to route under the jumpsuit and under the helmet, when I gear up. One more thing to remember, etc. Not worth wasting time (although, to be fair, people who have it, like it).

I have a "normal" N3 and that is something I like because it's "gear up and forget", as long as it's charged, all you have to remember to do is wear it for it to work (sure, it's good to check it works properly every time, and it needs to be charged every couple of weeks to a couple of months depending on use otherwise it become useless, but once charged and donned... at least it doesn't require any weird "extra steps" to be used).

As for setup, I like to wear my trusted full analog galaxy and my N3 in my jumpsuit pocket. That way I know that I'll always have at least one as long as I wear my jumpsuit and I have an analog backup should the battery of my N3 die on the way up or something else happens.

If you just want an audible to be inside your helmet, I wouldn't buy an N3 which does more that that and it's therefore more expensive, I'd get a simple Audible by L&B, they're awesome, precise, reliable and you'll be saving almost $100.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

trigger

I use my N3 as a visual alti only to use it as a audible it would need to be inside the helmet, but i feel a de dedicated audible is better/cheaper for this.

Cheaper and batteries will last 1-2 years instead of 1-2 months.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head

Safelandings

***You need to spend some time learning your gear and how it works. Your profile says you have been jumping for 2 years. How could you have bought an audible and not have known how to use it? You list your main as a Pilot 190, they don’t make a 190. There is more to skydiving than falling out of an airplane.

Sparky

Thanks for your comment, it was really useful....
First off, when you read posts you should read ALL the words because if you would have, you would know that I didn't purchase one yet. If you would have read the posts correctly you would see that I'm asking questions to do some research ahead of time before I buy one. And secondly, I will study how to use it but that's usually a lot easier if I had actually bought one first.
And as for the size of the canopy, I know I use a Pilot 188. But when people ask what size I use I round it up to 190.

Again thanks for your post. It was really helpful

You’re welcome. I repeat. “You need to spend some time learning your gear and how it works.”

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

AlanS

I hope the original poster doesn't mind if I ask a question here.

I'm considering the N3 for my helmet because i like the idea of the countdown 10...9...8... in 1,000 foot increments as you are dropping. (I currently have an N2 Alti for my wrist)

My question for people that have the N3 is, do you use this feature and do you like it?

Does anyone consider having two altimeters from the same manufacturers a safety risk? (i.e. if they ever give a wrong reading both could be bad in the same way)

Alan

I use the N3A with motorbike helmet speakers (tork x I think they're called) and I can hear it perfectly fine in freefall using an open face. I have the countdown every 1000 feet enabled and love it. It reads out my altitude every thousand feet the moment I leave the door. Not necessary but it's nice.

NOTE: the N3A (not to be confused with the standard N3) can only be used as an audible and requires headphones or speakers mounted in your helmet. The Standard N3 does not have the 1000 foot incremental countdown throughout the dive as the N3A does.

Trev_S

***I hope the original poster doesn't mind if I ask a question here.

I'm considering the N3A for my helmet because i like the idea of the countdown 10...9...8... in 1,000 foot increments as you are dropping. (I currently have an N2 Alti for my wrist)

Alan

I use the N3A with motorbike helmet speakers (tork x I think they're called) and I can hear it perfectly fine in freefall using an open face. I have the countdown every 1000 feet enabled and love it. It reads out my altitude every thousand feet the moment I leave the door. Not necessary but it's nice.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was referring to the N3A, and not the standard N3. I'll look into the helmet speaker option.

monkycndo

For the N3A, Another option other than ear buds are the thin speakers that motorcyclists use in their helmets. No need for wires running down into your jumpsuit.

uuuhh... I didn't think about that.
Thanks!
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was referring to the N3A, and not the standard N3. I'll look into the helmet speaker option.

Alti-2 actually states on their page that the drivers and Batterypower is not sufficient for the use with speakers.
i have tried it myself and could tell that during a "reading"
the display would "flicker" and in FF i could not hear a thing
even in my FullFace.
I use sheap "in ear buds" that actually also shield from some
noise in FF - under Canopy i still hear other things.

Love the Altitude Awareness it gives me in FF - however
my policy is , if i dont hear a "NINETHOUSAND or EIGHTTHOUSAND" i will go right to my visual N3 on my wrist.

I am NOT using the MP3 Pass through at all - i considered it
for a HIGH PULL maybe one day.. but think it is highly unsafe
to blast MUSIC into ears while under Canopy !

Safelandings

Yes, it was on his wrist.
So I would need to put it inside my helmet to hear it in free fall, but if on the wrist I would only hear it under the canopy?
Do you think I would be able to hear it under the canopy even if I had the ear plugs in too under my helmet?

I wear an open face with earplugs and the N3 on my wrist. Can hear the canopy alarms fine. For freefall alarms I have a L&B dytter.

CaptnCrunch

Alti-2 actually states on their page that the drivers and Batterypower is not sufficient for the use with speakers.
i have tried it myself and could tell that during a "reading"
the display would "flicker" and in FF i could not hear a thing
even in my FullFace.

Mine lasts for days using speakers.

I use these ones:
http://www.torkworld.com/helmet-speakers.html
They don't require much power to run.

With the N3, there is also the "normal" volume option, and the "loud" option. the normal is plenty loud enough to hear when it is in the helmet, it is my understanding the loud option is for when you do wear it on your wrist (as others have stated this isn't recommended)

Trev_S

NOTE: the N3A (not to be confused with the standard N3) can only be used as an audible and requires headphones or speakers mounted in your helmet. The Standard N3 does not have the 1000 foot incremental countdown throughout the dive as the N3A does.

Trevor,

Two questions. Which model Tork do you use, I'm guessing that the base model would prolly do the trick. Secondly, doyou think it is practical to do a semi permanent mount a N3-A and speakers. I was thinking that I could mount the N3 on the outside of my Z1 and put a small hole for the speaker wires.

Thanks mate.

Safelandings

And for those of you who posted helpful comments and jumped to my defense before I had see the posts, I thank you.

I realize that this sport can be dangerous. I try to learn as much as possible so that I can make it safer for everyone who jumps with me. Which is why I ready throw tons of posts and ask question when I'm not sure about something.
Even though I got my A license I still see myself as a student, but a good student who wants to do this for along time. I still rent my gear but I do have a helmet which I researched before I bought and now working toward the altimeter. And when I have the money for a canopy, I'll be asking questions on hear and to others at my DZ before I come to a final decision.
So for those who seemed to forget what it was like when they started. When they didn't know everything they do today. When someone posts something because they don't know the answers you don't need to make them feel like an idiot. Because in my eyes the idiots are the ones who don't ask.

Thanks Kelly

Hey Kelly, I'd like to offer a couple of comments. Firstly this forum is a pretty tough crowd. At first it used to piss me off but the reality is that the culture if this forum isn't likely to change and despite the wise ass'd comments the intention of most of the posters is good.

As to audible’s. I suspect there is probably 101 forum comments on this but I do want to caution you that they are habit forming and it is very easy to develop bad habits with altitude awareness. I had a very poignant reminder of this and I will now on occasions leave my dytter out keep me in the habit using my altimeter.

Lastly, if you are new the sport I'd suggest you save your money and buy a secondhand dytter until you start exploring some of the sports disciplines such as wing suiting, tracking, free flying or whatever to know what you really need. I think I paid $60 for my second hand dytter.

Sky_doggy

Trevor,

Two questions. Which model Tork do you use, I'm guessing that the base model would prolly do the trick. Secondly, doyou think it is practical to do a semi permanent mount a N3-A and speakers. I was thinking that I could mount the N3 on the outside of my Z1 and put a small hole for the speaker wires.

Thanks mate.

I can't remember which model I bought (doesn't say on them only the packaging which has since been thrown out) but I think they'll all do the trick. I just have the speakers stuck to the inside of my helmet (The speakers come with adhesive protected by a peel off piece of tape, alternatively you can use velco which is also provided). I route the excess cable under the D30 liner in my cookie ozone and the N3A sits in the internal pocket.

If you have to mount the N3A externally then yeh, you may need to punch a hole or something but you may want to ask somebody else whether or not it's a good idea :) Doesn't the Z1 have an internal pocket though?

Safelandings,

When Alti-2's first dual-use digital instrument - Neptune - came out a little over a decade ago, we expected skydivers to use it as a visual OR helmet-mounted audible. We later came to realize that some skydivers are using the canopy alarms with the unit being mounted externally (e.g. wrist-mounted). I have done this myself as a personal experiment, but prefer all of my alarms in my ear.

You have received some good advice from some high caliber people in this thread. If I can be of any further assistance as you get to know N3 and further consider your purchase, feel free to contact me directly. [email protected]
Alti-2, Inc. Staff