councilman24

T-10 Sleeve pattern?

I have a sleeve for a C-9. Would like to obtain, or borrow for pattern to make one, or obtain plans for, a sleeve for a 35' T-10 with anti-inversion netting. Have one I don't especially want to static line. 34 years ago I used to back them in a bag for students, including free-fall but I don't remember exactly how we rigged the bags. I have both static line components and a different conventional sport rig that will hold it in a sleeve if I can come up with one.

Any help? Anybody ever SEE a 35' T-10 sleeve? Not sure I have.

Thanks
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Did the military ever use sleeves on them? I'm voting with Jerry that you just lay it out, and make one. Easier and faster than copying one that was probably made the same way by someone with less skill than you have anyway.

I'll volunteer someone to test jump it for you.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Last time (1981) I free-fell a military T-10 in sleeve, it was paced into a Canadian Army Military Free Fall rig. The opening was so brutal, it took four days to straighten out my neck!

Then the canopy totally inverted. The drive slots were in front. steering was backward: pull left to turn right, etc. Dozens of small holes were burnt through the canopy, but the descent rate was still reasonable.
The ultimate insult came after I PLFed beside the pea-gravel bowl, when Sgt. Pat Turpin chewed me out for not deploying my reserve!
I bit my tongue rather than tell him that I trusted an un-diapered 24-flat less than I trusted a T-10 with a few dozen small holes.
Hah!
Hah!

Bottom line: d-bags are easier to sew than sleeves and more reliable.

Eagleeye

May I ask, what is a sleeve? Something similar to a deployment bag? Just asking for knowledge sake. Thanks

It's the second item on this page: http://avstop.com/ac/prh/chapter2_11.html. Commonly used for round sport parachutes to smoothly stage the deployment, as an alternative option to a bag. (I'll let others with more knowledge of military use speak to whether it was/is used for round canopies in military freefall application.). Basically, instead of the canopy being folded into it, like with a bag, the canopy is flaked, then laid out lengthwise, then the bag is slipped over the flaked canopy (kind of like slipping a sock over a foot), then the lines are stowed on the sleeve, then the sleeved canopy is folded into the container from the bottom up. Back when round canopies were common in sport skydiving, I'd venture a wild guess that about 80-90% of them, especially on the civilian side, used sleeves rather than bags.

rcs

Here is the best example of packing with a sleeve that I have ever seen.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuL-d_c8ko4

Best packing training video ever made bar none.

I just knew that had to be the Raquel Welch video, before I even opened it.

Ah yes, but if we had Raquel in training videos, we'd be watching how Raquel is stacked, rather than how the parachute is packed.

Terry

I have a manual called TM 10-1670-264-13&P
for MC-3 Freefall Personnel Parachute System.
Dated 10 June 1977

Has pics of the sleeve, but no schematics for it.
It does have a parts list that may be used to track down the schematics.

There are some good pics of the sleeve, but the canopy does not have anti-inversion netting.

Lemme know. You know how to contact me.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker