1 1
justme12001

MC-4/MC-5

GGGGIO

Unfortunately the regulations are crystal clear in stating that "high-altitude, high-speed, or ejection kinds" are exceptions that disqualify Demilitarized or Military Surplus Parachutes as approved parachutes as defined in § 105.3, regardless whether they have a military drawing number.

That's an interesting point you make about military surplus equipment, one that most of us haven't had to deal with!

Does anyone else have confirmation that that's the only possible legal interpretation of the FAR's? About how "high altitude" parachute systems doen't qualify as an "approved parachute" for civilian US use?

I'm not disputing that GGGGIO knows a whole lot about the MT series of rigs, but we know that interpreting FARs is not always straight forward.

I can identify at least 3 well established skydiving operations & parachute equipment suppliers that sell MC-4 rigs to civilians and in some cases train US civilians in the US on them.

The MC-4 maintenance manual notes that it is appropriate both for HALO and HAHO. Is a parachute probibited from civilian use if it CAN be used for high altitude openings, or only if it is SOLELY for high altitude openings?

It seems like the FAR might have been written to exclude equipment not designed for lower altitude, lower speed operations. But how low?

Or are various groups and jumpers all operating outside the FARs? (...but nobody really cares and the FAA hasn't been looking out for it?)

Unfortunately the regulations are crystal clear in stating that "high-altitude, high-speed, or ejection kinds" are exceptions that disqualify Demilitarized or Military Surplus Parachutes as approved parachutes as defined in § 105.3, regardless whether they have a military drawing number.

Crystal clear? Asolutely not. You might be the only person in the industry I've ever heard of who classifies MFF systems as "high altitude only" . Serously. The GREAT majority of jumps done on US MFF systems are conducted at or below 12,999 feet. My opinion, and that of every other person I know is that Part 105 states that these rigs are "approved". You can't swing a dead cat by the tail at Raeford Parachute Center without hitting a master rigger in the head who will gladly sell you a de-militarized MC4. MFF rigs are DEFINITELY not "high altitude only" otherwise we wouldn't be chasing ducks off the ramp at four grand and into the water.

I do this for a living.

Azul sends

That "high altitude, high speed" provision in the FARS was written back during the 1950s, when the United States Air Force was learning how to fly B-47, B-52 etc. nuclear bombers to Russia. To avoid anti-aircraft artillery, they were flying at the previously unheard of altitudes of 40,000 or 50,000 feet. Eventually the Hustler bomber flew supersonic at those altitudes.
The USAF developed a range of pilot emergency parachutes specifically for exiting crippled bombers at 50,000 feet going Mach 2. Those parachutes were specifically designed to open slowly, many thousands of feet below cruising altitude.

Read Poynter's manual, Volume One for a partial list of high-speed, high-altitude emergency parachutes.

OTOH any parachute that soldiers routinely jump out of standard military transport airplanes (C-130, C-141, C-5, C-17, Greyhound, etc.) overlaps the civilian Standard category.

GGGGIO

I couldn't find anywhere that states ONLY, and that is probably what needs to be clarified by the FAA.

***MFF rigs are DEFINITELY not "high altitude only"

A little history on the MT-1 and MC-4.

A picture of the my MT-1XS (Navy) and the "Bunny Helmet" I wore at one time.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yes, it is legal to jump. Our civilian contract MFF instructors at a civilian drop zone are required by contract to jump and be familiar with military free fall equipment. The ones that were never military free fall jump qualified have to jump the system. The could not do that unless it was legal. civilian plane, civilian DZ and air space, military rigs.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker