rifleman

Sewing machine recommendations needed please.

Not strictly skydiving related - but I find myself in the position of needing a new sewing machine.

It needs to handle multiple layers of heavy coutil fabric but also more delicate materials like lace and satin. It should also have adjustable stitch length as most of the seams I make are sewn once at 12 stitches per inch then oversewn at 8 stitches per inch.

If it has the ability to do straight, zigzag and buttonhole then so much the better.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=pfaff+238&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsinger+20u&_nkw=singer+20u&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bernina-950-Zig-Zag-Freehand-Embroidery-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-Excellent-Con-/271443121385?pt=UK_CraftsCollect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item3f334554e9

I don't know if you mean new to you or brand new. I wouldn't buy a brand new 20U. Quality suffers on Chinese made white ones. The link above is to an older blue one. All parts readily available. Compared to other prices on ebay uk looks like reasonable.

Bernina 950 is a commercial type machine well thought of by some outside rigging and I believe will do your button holes.

Pfaff 238 or Bernina 217 for used zig zag but none on ebay uk.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Pfaff 138 or Bernina 217 - I generally steer away from the 20u's ~ used them for 6 years, owned 2 of them (blue and green), I find that even under 'best case' timing and maintenance, they do not keep bottom thread well regulated across a broad range of zigzag width and stitch length.
=========Shaun ==========

I've got a Singer 143w2 that was made for sewing delicate fabrics... works just as well on a container.

Doesn't do buttonholes though.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If you want a wide range of easy adj stitch l
lengths, and one that is smooth as butter...A Singer 188K. Straight stitch only, and does NOT do zig zag and doubt it will do button holes either, but, it is a joy to sew with and will handle pretty heavy and never goes out of adjustment. It's like a modern day version of the famous 31-15, but with reverse. I have a longarm sewing machine- Adler Pfaff -and always have to do a bunch of adjusting when going back and forth from straight stitch to zig zag. I suspect most machines have this problem. I'd get a straight stitch and a zig zag and not try to go back and forth. that's my experience.

Hi ripcord,

anyone had any experience with a Singer 401A

I've used one a lot. I now have a 501A; they are virtually the same machine.

It will do a lot of stuff, just not the heavy-duty stuff.

But I did build an entire container with a 401A 'once'. Hmm, maybe more than 'once'.

JerryBaumchen

councilman24

Not that I need one but is there a dealer for these in the U.S.? Didn't find one.

These guys were willing to deal directly with me, so I ordered a whole cam system directly from them, then I took those parts to my local sewing machine guru for installation. Now he's a US dealer:
http://granthousesewingmachines.com/Contact.htm

There were a few small parts that I didn't know were needed for the conversion, because my 217n originally had a different cam system with some standard parts removed, so we're waiting for those bits to arrive. All parts received have been high quality and they fit correctly, so I'm happy so far.

Direct contact for new machine heads:
Joost Lamp [email protected]

Direct contact for parts:
Jeevan de Haan [email protected]