Doug_Davis

Semi-Stowless Bag for Javelin?

Ordered a Javelin Odyssey J4k which should be in the end of May. I had looked at having them add the semi-stowless bag as an option but they dont offer an in house option for that size container.

So I was considering either ordering a custom UPT stowless or the AeroSports NoStoBag.

Thoughts?
Pros or Cons?
Has anyone used either in a Javelin J4K?

Any advice appreciated.

I have a completly magnetic bag from Pgasus in my Javelin.
Works great. Not sure if he makes them in your size.
You could always mail Harry and see.

The deliverytime was quite long but the quality makes up for it.

EDIT: I have a 140 canopy in a 150 rig

You should be fine with the UPT bag. They probably know which size bag for a J4K, but you can also send them the measurements. My backup rig is a Jav with a UPT stowless bag, and it works like a charm. I'm really impressed with the UPT system and have had it in my last 3 rigs (Infinity/Jav/UPT).

*edit- not sure size is the biggest they make.

Doug_Davis

Anyone?

Not addressing the size issue, I have both a UPT semi-stowless bag and the Sunpath semi-stowless bag. They are both great and I think you'll love them. The main difference between the two is that the Sunpath bag has three locking stows and the UPT bag has two. Functionally they are about the same.

I had an excellent experience with Sunpath's customer service on this. They started offering these bags the week my Odyssey shipped. I called them about the new bags and they were so helpful about it. I ended up mailing back my new bag and pilot chute (with a check for the difference in price) and they replaced it with a new Semi-stowless bag and detached pilot chute. I think most of their new rigs ship with the bridle of the pilot chute sewn to the bag. That meant if I wore out or damaged a pilot chute I had to replace the bag too.

lyosha

***Since I have not heard anything from the owner, I would guess that it works OK.

JerryBaumchen

... or doesn't work at all! :P

They got a reserve. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

JerryBaumchen

Hi Dougles,

I believe that's as large as they go.

The largest NoStoBag that I have built to date is for a 210 sq ft canopy.

Since I have not heard anything from the owner, I would guess that it works OK.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,

So your thoughts on me getting one for a Javelin J4K while using a Storm 190?

Hi Doug,

your thoughts on me getting one

Well, I do make them, so my thoughts are somewhat biased. :P

I have made a lot of them for Javs; I could spend a lot of time looking up my records and tell you exactly how many. But I'm just too lazy to do that. :)

Early on I made two NoStoBags for a customer and he sent them back because one of them had a very slight split in one of the grommets. I corrected the 'problem' and paid shipping both ways for the correction. I should have caught the grommet 'problem' but I didn't. Sometimes things like that happen. :S

Other than that I have only heard positive responses to users of the NoStoBag.

I have never heard of anyone who bought a NoStoBag not using it or saying it was not working for them.

I see no reason why a NoStoBag would not work with a 190 sq ft canopy in a Jav.

Does that help?

JerryBaumchen

PS) DSE did offer some thoughts for improvement for the NoStoBag; I have changed the bags to incorporate one of his suggestions. And I welcome any thoughts on how improve the product.

This is purely speculative, but can you see an upper limit to the size of the NoStoBags? I'm thinking giant student rigs and maybe Tandems. What would limit the effective use of the product?

JerryBaumchen

Hi Doug,

I have made a lot of them for Javs; I could spend a lot of time looking up my records and tell you exactly how many. But I'm just too lazy to do that. :)

Early on I made two NoStoBags for a customer and he sent them back because one of them had a very slight split in one of the grommets. I corrected the 'problem' and paid shipping both ways for the correction. I should have caught the grommet 'problem' but I didn't. Sometimes things like that happen. :S

I have never heard of anyone who bought a NoStoBag not using it or saying it was not working for them.

Does that help?

JerryBaumchen

PS) DSE did offer some thoughts for improvement for the NoStoBag; I have changed the bags to incorporate one of his suggestions. And I welcome any thoughts on how improve the product.

ctrph8

This is purely speculative, but can you see an upper limit to the size of the NoStoBags? I'm thinking giant student rigs and maybe Tandems. What would limit the effective use of the product?

I do recall hearing someone using a semi-stowless bag on SIGMAs, though I don't know specifics.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

JerryBaumchen

Hi Dougles,

I believe that's as large as they go.

The largest NoStoBag that I have built to date is for a 210 sq ft canopy.

Since I have not heard anything from the owner, I would guess that it works OK.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry built me a NoStow for my container. Due to measurement error on my part (he built it exactly to the measurements I sent) it is large enough that I could fit a 230 or 240 in it. Heck, since I am a packer I could probably cram a 260 in it. It still works OK for my 190 as well but is definitely on the loose side.

I will say it is a fantastic product and Jerry's customer service is first rate.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

JerryBaumchen

Hi Doug,

Does that help?

JerryBaumchen

A) Would I need to send you measurements or is this something you could get from manufacturer?

B) Im also guessing I will need to buy a new PC since someone in this thread indicated Javelins are shipped with their PC's sewn to the D-bag on new systems. Or am I misreading that?

Hi Chris,

can you see an upper limit to the size of the NoStoBags?

Everything has its limits. But as to your question, I guess time will tell.

Back in March I was visiting Sandy Reid @ Rigging Innovations as I knew he is working on a d-bag that closes with magnets only. We were discussing this upper limit and he rather felt that about a 190 would be as far as he would go with his new d-bag ( when he gets it ready to go on the market ).

However, that may not be a consideration where the d-bag closes with rubber bands, etc. Sandy's design closes only with magnets.

Someone mentioned something about a Sigma tandem rig having a stowless d-bag; that is probably the upper limit.

I would probably make them until such time as I see that they just will not work. I do not know where that limit is.

As I mentioned before, I have built them for a 210 canopy and have not heard any complaints.

Is that an answer?

JerryBaumchen

Hi Doug,

Would I need to send you measurements or is this something you could get from manufacturer?

My personal experience is that mfrs will not supply the measurements. You might ask your mfr if they will give you the necessary dimensions.

The dealers for the NoStoBag have the drawings that will show you what measurements are needed.

Im also guessing I will need to buy a new PC since someone in this thread indicated Javelins are shipped with their PC's sewn to the D-bag on new systems. Or am I misreading that?

I do not know how your gear is built. If your P/C is sewn to your d-bag then you will have to remove the P/C and re-attach it to your new d-bag or get a new, removable P/C.

I see in the classifieds that Larry Chernis is advertising his P/C's. You might contact him on pricing, delivery, etc.

I do not make P/C's for rigs.

Does that answer your questions?

JerryBaumchen