3fLiEr

Thinking of trying something out.....

http://www.paraglidair.com/bruhopp.htm
I posted the above link some time ago - for those who have not seen it - check it out.
I am thinking of carrying this out with my skydive rig and would appreciate "sensible" thoughts on the areas needed to be looked at to ensure a clean and safe ride................ recently some BASE'rs have done this with BASE kit with no adverse effects - so my thought is that it should be doable with skydive kit........... what are your thoughts - and what sort of height in your opinion is needed for full persurisation................. just toying with the idea at the moment.................... please can i have constructive comments as well as the other sort!!!
Just trying to make life interesting...........
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

This is NOT BASE............... I am not going to do BASE with a skydive rig.......... this is just fun stuff...............
My thoughts so far .......... 100ft aquaduct - as the canopy is all ready partially pressurised this would be enough height for pressurisation.............. any thoughts??
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

First time why not find some way to attach the canopy to the aquaduct so the canopy is actually set up the way it would normally fly. That way you could even go lower, due to not having to wait for the canopy to flip over and fly.

If you are strong enough to survive than it's not stupid. (right?)

Me, I would want three poeple to hold the canopy properly oriented and inflated. Make sure the launch point is high enough to basically get instant line stretch. Jump way the frick out. Use a very docile 7-cell, not my stilletto 135. Wear a lot of pads just in case. I also the like the water idea in case it goes to shit. Also, have an emergency plan in case you end up in the lines, in the canopy, in the water, et. Find someone who has done it, like the guy in the photo, and ask if there is anything in particular that could make it extra bad.
I, personall, never re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.
Drewfus McDoofus

pay very close attention to how that guy jumps out and the flip he does...that is what makes that a cool stunt vs. a dumb way to die. If you are going to do it with a skydive rig, it is absolutely IMPERATIVE that you have that slider secured to the risers positively. Imagine what it would be like if you let it slide downto the canopy and tried to jump...damn...splat!
That is why the guy in the photo has a base rig. If i were to prepare for such a jump, i would find a trampoline and practice doing flips until i had it DOWN. Good luck, and be careful! ~~~~>A.T.<~~~~~

So you're talking about packing this into a skydiving rig and deploying once you left the plane at altitude?
I guess the only big concern with that is that on base/bridge deploy you're going out at a low speed vs skydiving you're exiting the plane already pretty fast. Maybe if you deployed it on the hill at the right moment, but I'd hate to whip one of those out at terminal.
--> Usual disclaimers apply: I don't know Jack, I know less than Clay(and he don't know Shit), seek help from a professional counsellor/priest/sex therapist/whatever before doing anything, anywhere, anytime <--

Yea, I bet that thing would hurt opening at 90 mph. I would take some paragliding lessons for a while and learn about that gear before I tried to combine it with skydiving.
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

So you're talking about packing this into a skydiving rig and deploying once you left the plane at altitude?

nope.................. read my post again..............
bsbd

If you've seen the thread on BLINC, I'm curious as to why you didn't ask your question there...

Imagine a Skydiver asking about launching this off a bridge with a skydive rig on BLINC.......... I aint going to have the greatest of responses - another skydiver wannabe BASE jumper killing himself and bringing bad press on the BASE world............ As this is technically not a BASE jump I felt no need to ask BASErs about it......originally done with a paraglider rig and looking to do it with a skydive rig........... and also as someone points out.................. This place is easier to "throw the cat amoungst the pigeons!!"............. amazing what thoughts go through your head when bored at work...................... ;op
oh and dont worry Craig.................. I aint about to bring disrepute onto the UKBASEScene
bsbd

I dont want to make this a big debate (actually, i do want to strip up shit.. lol), but why are you saying that its not a BASE jump "technically"?
It's jumping off a fixed object with nothing to stop you but a canopy.
Some BASE jumps are done with skydiving rigs, some BASE jumps are done with the shit out of the container at launch if its really low, so why would this not be a BASE jump?
Remster
Muff 914

Ok I see ya point...... BASE as its a bridge......... using a container... maybe I should have said an acceptable BASE jump................. if a skydiver goes in on the Hilton with a skydive rig (as has happened) is that a BASE jumper going in or a Skydiver going in?............. although its a BASE jump .........it aint a BASE jumper............. just my thoughts
bsbd

phree,
Do you know anything more about gliders being taken to terminal, any details? I am thinking about trying paragliding, I really want to, but everything I had heard was about catching thermals or towing. The idea of exiting at altitude interests me much more. I really like the idea of that...although I wonder what they pack it in.
As for this idea, I would love to see pictures, the only thing I recommend is maybe examining the aerodynamic differences between glider and parachutes. I am not very versed in aerodynamics, but that might make a big difference, or big enough to effect you as your jump is only 1 or 2 seconds long.
Malachi