Chris-Ottawa

"Wedge" or "Altimount", and why?

So, I'm looking for a mudflap mount and can'tfind much more info than a couple threads on how to make these yourself, or some of the safety implications, but nothing comparing the two (or other options I'm not aware of).

So, really simply, should I buy the Wedge, or the Altimount or another alternative....and why?

Wedge:http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/wedge-mudflap-altimount

Altimount:http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/altimount

Thanks!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I have a wedge as well. Thinking about it, and seeing the other design... if for what ever reason I had an impact upon my chest, I would rather have the wedge collapse, and hopefully not break a rib vs. the metal AltiMount. At least that was my logic between the two.

The Altimount is carbon fiber, not metal. It's easy to file it such that the bend is weak, and I've had one break off from a light freefall bump during a horny gorilla.

I also use a plastic one made by user monkycndo (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=monkycndo;). His are very inexpensive, and they're designed to bend on impact.
Brian

Brian, thanks for the plug for my mount. Glad you like it.

Chris, if you go with the chest strap wedge, get the long version. It won't bend backwards when flying a WS.

Or you can just order a mudflap mount from me. I also have a custom mount for the AltiTrack that allows you to see the digital display without removing the alti from the mount.:)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Thanks everyone!

You all basically confirmed my suspicions that I was able to gather from the photos and info on chutingstar and the manufacturer's website that the Wedge seems like the safer option as far as crashing goes, but they wil both serve the purpose.

Deimian, have you used the Viso Mount? I'll be using my Viso for wingsuiting instead of trying to look at my wrist, but I suspect that the chest strap mount might allow it to fold under, or move etc. I like the idea of a mudflap mount, but then I have a slight issue with packing, not that I'm too worried though.

To anyone with the wedge: I have a Viso that I'll be mounting to it, but do I need the Digital Alti pouch to attach it, or can I mount it directly to the flap? I'd really like to avoid the pouch, but it seems that this would be my only option for the Viso.

Thanks again!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I have a visio on my wedge. What I did was I made a velcro sandwich, and sewed the visio mount to the sandwich. Then, I well... put the sandwich on around the top of the mount. It holds well, and allows for the relatively easy removal when I have to change the visio battery (which I have to do this weekend). I have also had a Galaxy alti on there, and again it had a plate that was held by screws on the inside of the wedge's triangle. IMHO, it was simple and secure.