Kui

Rig Range of Sizes

Hey guys, I'm looking for a first rig and I've called up UPT, Mirage, and Wings on harness sizes. Since everyones dimensions vary, they arent able to give me a range of sizes that would fit me, only what they would build for me. I was wondering if anyone here that has similar dimensions could chime in on what sizes fit them.

I am 5'6" , 145lbs, with a Hip bone to torso measurement of 19" and a 38" chest.

I've tried on Javelin C17s and they seem to fit really comfy.
I've tried a 14.5" MLW Mirage and it was TINY. The PC was way up on my back.
I've also tried a Large MLW and Large yoke Wings and it was MASSIVE on me.

A lot of stock containers are designed for that generic 5'7" 180lb person, and being just outside that number, how far off is the fit going to be?

Your question isn't quite clear -

Are you trying to understand which stock sizes would fit?

Or are you trying to understand whether a particular used rig would fit (or trying to know more generally so you can evaluate used rigs)?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Mirage G4, 16.5/21/std, I'm 6ft, 172lbs, and have an average build with a shortish torso for reference.

"Stock container" generally just means it wasn't custom colors.

What you need to find is:

a. A container that fits the proper size main/reserve combo for you.
b. A harness attached to said container that fits you reasonably comfortably.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was hoping to get a sample of people with their measurements and what size harness they got.

for example, wings has a stock container that fit every criteria for except I am 66in not 67-72. They say it won't fit me. Sure, but by how much?

I re measured the torso per wings and per upt and mirage. I am 19" which translates to mlw15 to 17 depending on which manufacture is asking. I also have a 29" inseam. Im Short legged I guess?

I believe it would best for you to understand how different manufacturers express the sizes of their harnesses. Javelins for example have it right in the name C-17 "C" being the yoke size and "17" (or whatever number) being the MLW. Mirage has a similar system where they list the MLW, leg straps, and Laterals respectively on the TSO tag.

That being said, I am 6'2" 215lbs with a 44" chest and large thighs. My current rig is a Wings with Large yoke and MLW. I've also had Javelin C-19 and a Mirage 19/24/+.5

Hope this helps

Ive called up a the big guys, UPT, Wings, Javelin and started to get a sense of what is suppose to fit. It seems like an MLW thats +/-1" is about the maximum limit that would be safe to wear.

I'm looking at used gear at the moment, but also open to ordering a new container (wings has the best price vs turn around time vs quality), and I was going to order the container new until my instructor said to wait a bit, something might pop up (and they have but people keep entering bidding wars to pick em up over me!).

Thanks guys

If you are buying a new rig, the manufacturer usually builds the rig to fit YOUR measurments.

Not so much, seriously. The manufacturer uses the measurements to decide what container / harness size that they already make is the best fit.
Owned by Remi #?

They say it won't fit me. Sure, but by how much?

Oh... who knows. Maybe it will just not fit you just enough that you could possibly fall out of it. Or maybe you won't fall out of it, but it'll be just loose enough that you'll still be trying to pry the reserve handle out of your left ear while you crater in.

What do they know? They probably are way too conservative about what fits.
Owned by Remi #?