riggerrob

45 degree line-twist?

Maybe some of you old guys can help me ....

Every time I open, I suffer a 45 degree line-twist.
I am never certain whether the line-twist is to the left or the right, but it is always 45 degrees???
Spreading the risers does not seem to cure the line-twists. Squeezing the risers does not seem to cure the line-twists.
Kicking my legs does not seem to cure the line-twists.
It does not seem to matter whether I jump my Delta II, my Para-Dactyl or my PZ-81, but I always get 45 degree line-twists???
Any suggestions?????

I don't know what causes the 45 degree line twist, but the solution is to ask your rigger to swap your left and right risers, and the pack the rig with the slider all they way down. When your chute opens the first time it will whip you around hard about 315 degrees, but that will fix your 45 degree line twist.

Now just remember with your risers swapped your controls are all backwards from what you are use to. So, instead of cranking down on the front risers for your swoop landing you'll need to crank in the back risers. Also, since you are coming in facing backwards, timing the flare will be a little bit tricky. To solve that get a bicycle helmet mirror and install it with two screws on your Cookie G3 helmet. The visibility will be a bit limited, but with some practice you should be able to time the flare just right. Just make sure the first few times you do it, to land in the swoop pond, and to bring a towel.

AlanS

I don't know what causes the 45 degree line twist, but the solution is to ask your rigger to swap your left and right risers, and the pack the rig with the slider all they way down. When your chute opens the first time it will whip you around hard about 315 degrees, but that will fix your 45 degree line twist.

Now just remember with your risers swapped your controls are all backwards from what you are use to. So, instead of cranking down on the front risers for your swoop landing you'll need to crank in the back risers. Also, since you are coming in facing backwards, timing the flare will be a little bit tricky. To solve that get a bicycle helmet mirror and install it with two screws on your Cookie G3 helmet. The visibility will be a bit limited, but with some practice you should be able to time the flare just right. Just make sure the first few times you do it, to land in the swoop pond, and to bring a towel.

+1.
and get video ...
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

riggerrob

Every time I open, I suffer a 45 degree line-twist.

What the heck are 45 degree line twists. Seems to me your lines can't be "twisted" until they reach at least 180 degrees. Do you mean your have a 45 degree turn during deployment?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

***Every time I open, I suffer a 45 degree line-twist.

What the heck are 45 degree line twists. Seems to me your lines can't be "twisted" until they reach at least 180 degrees. Do you mean your have a 45 degree turn during deployment?

pwnd.
Remster

Remster

******Every time I open, I suffer a 45 degree line-twist.

pwnd.

Ah yes. Canadians. Nothing better to do.

If I had read the entire post I would have known better. I've never seen a Dactyl get line twists.:P
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

Ah yes. Canadians. Nothing better to do.

If I had read the entire post I would have known better. I've never seen a Dactyl get line twists.:P

There were only 7 short messages prior to your comment. Gosh, that's a whole lot of bother to read to get up to speed on the discussion before jumping in with your own comments. And being April 1st, of course one should take everything at absolute face value.

Boogers

*** Ah yes. Canadians. Nothing better to do.

There were only 7 short messages prior to your comment. Gosh, that's a whole lot of bother to read to get up to speed on the discussion before jumping in with your own comments. And being April 1st, of course one should take everything at absolute face value.

I saw the first line and asked a question.

I thought you were quitting. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

****** Ah yes. Canadians. Nothing better to do.

I was "quitting", in an April 1st message. You didn't get the gist of that one either. You should try and be more suspicious on April Fools Day... ;) Not to worry though, now that April 1st is over, we can all go back to believing everything we read on the internet. :)

Boogers

********* Ah yes. Canadians. Nothing better to do.

I was "quitting", in an April 1st message. You didn't get the gist of that one either.

Actually I did get it. I was just hoping you weren't kidding.:P

Besides, if you can't top the Sidd Finch bit you shouldn't bother.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hi Rob,

When you throw away your pilot chute or pull out, are you resuming the box position while looking at the horizon. That will keep you symetrical. We all develop some habit (good or bad) when comes the deployment. Maybe yours is when you look side way up causing a slight non symetrical set up in your harness !!???
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

chuckakers

Boogers

I was "quitting", in an April 1st message. You didn't get the gist of that one either.

chuckakers

Is there some reason why you don't like me and wish me to quit the sport?

Boogers

*** I thought you were quitting. ;)

Boogers

chuckakers

Is there some reason why you don't like me and wish me to quit the sport?

Not at all. Like you, I just get my jabs in where I can and your "I'm quitting" post presented a carrot too tasty to resist.

I'm harmless, brother Boogers. We're good.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Tinyjumper

I'm a new jumper and just registered for this site. I'm really glad this was an April fools joke because I was beginning to think I was even more uninformed than I thought! Switching risers really got me! Lol ;)

Dear new jumper,

Don't feel bad, because only half of the "experienced" jumpers got this joke.
Delta II, Paradactyl and PZ-81 canopies are all Rogallos. They look like old hang-gliders. Rogallos normally fly with their pointy noses leading, followed by two tiny, pointy end cells all followed by a pointy tail.
Another way to look at Rogallos is to describe them as sharply tapered (extremely elliptical) 2-cells ... though there was a 3-cell (double-keel) version of the Paradactyl.

IOW a well-behaved Rogallo always flies with a 45 degree line-twist.