Shredex

Can you recommend a good starter Sewing machine?

Parachute construction and patches on ripstop parachutes are routinely done with e thread which requires an 18 or 19 needle. Using a 12 is not realistic. Its the thread that determines the needle size not the material. We use that same needle.and e thread to sew F111 and 6 layers of 1" type for to make a toggle nose.

I'm going on a limb here, but I'm guessing you stick with the 135x7 (don't know your specifics) #20 round nose, or do you lean more on the #19's?
=========Shaun ==========

Shredex

Seems like everyone I ask at Michaels or Joanns doesn't know what "E" thread is...
Can someone tell me how I can know if something is E thread?
Or point me to a website that sells it...

Size 69 nylon thread.

It's not E-thread, but they likely don't carry it anyways.

http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000046/T1009/
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The non skydiving world often calls E thread "upholstery" thread. Different systems call it size 69 or TEX 70. That is the size. It is bonded nylon thread. That size is also commonly available in polyester, where it is used on boats and other outdoor items because of it's superior resistance to UV radiation. Garment makers do not use this type of thread normally.

Tons of info here:

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=nylon-thread-069
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Don't use polyester thread on nylon, it doesn't stretch like nylon thread.

While you should not use polyester thread because it is not approved/tested, it will stretch and is about 80% as strong. Just depends on the twist and manufacturer.

E thread is nylon.

"E" is the size of the thread.
You can have "E" nylon, cotton, or polyester.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

The non skydiving world often calls E thread "upholstery" thread. Different systems call it size 69 or TEX 70. That is the size. It is bonded nylon thread. That size is also commonly available in polyester, where it is used on boats and other outdoor items because of it's superior resistance to UV radiation. Garment makers do not use this type of thread normally.

Any industrial sewing store can help. VT-2953, Bonded Nylon, B69 - I'm a big fan of sticking with approved suppliers (you can cross reference the industry standard vs the Government procurement designations (get those in the Poynters Manual) HERE Clicky

I'm also a fan of digging into the DLA group and reviewing suppliers that have actually qualified their processes with the DLA and DCMA.

I was recently at an Industrial Sewing Machine outlet and got to review some of the 'new' threads and types of bonded Nylon that are being used in Automotive upholstery - all the more reason to really dig into the material designations and make sure you are getting what you want to get.

Edited to add------------------------------

I'll throw this table up from A-A-59826. Some of you Super-master riggers may want to look at A-A-59826 to make sure I captured the right group?
=========Shaun ==========

"E" is the size of the thread.
You can have "E" nylon, cotton, or polyester.

MEL

Thanks Mel, I have a lot to learn. I have done a lot of sewing and have tried to learn from my mistakes, and search for the answers. Is it true, as I've tried to follow, to use nylon thread on nylon material ( especially on canopy/wingsuit material ) polyester thread on polyester material, and cotton thread on cotton material ? Also needle sizes. I don't have trouble running #69 (nylon) thru #16 needles, but if it's wrong, I'll stop doing it.
Life is short ... jump often.

stratostar

Love my singer 3115...

You too? A 3116 is the first machine I owned. Paid $175.00, machine and table. I cleaned the machine in a tub with kerosene, dried it off real good and went to oiling it. The table top is maple, took some re-finisher, cleaned off the old finish an put 3 coats of polyurethane as a finish. I've done more patches, repaired more jumpsuits and even replaced mid-flaps with it. That machine just won't give-up.

Chuck

Making jumpsuits is tailoring, not rigging. I've tried it and I'm not very good at it. But when we talk about nylon E thread we are talking about patching parachutes, sewing lines, and building gear bags and other accessories. But even for those things other size thread are used too.

For.jumpsuits, made out of various materials, you may very well need/want to use other sizes and materials. "Heavy duty" polycotton may be appropriate for a polycotton jumpsuit. You may also need to zigzag or serge seams and do other types of sewing.

IF you want E thread for non parachute items size 69 nylon upholstery thread available at any good fabric store is fine. To will be in some odd colors, some you want and some like mauve you may not.;) But it's a lot cheaper than buying a sixteen or even 8 ounce cone of e thread.

Have fun.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I was quoted about 20U s and and I stand by what I said about new versus older blue and tan ones. That being said I'm ambivalent about 20U's. Red from Glide Path really likes them or at least used to. I've sewn on some nit.so.good.one but I have two pfaff 238's, a Bernina 217 and a Consew 199. If I found a good deal on an older 20 u I'd get one would.have gotten one but not.now.with.what I have. One key differences between zigzagz is if the.move.against a spring and the.spring pushes.the needle bar back or if they have positive physical linkage moving.the needle.bar.both.ways. You can tell by seeing if you can push the needle bar to the side, left if I recall, by hand. If positions by a spring you can deflect it from a good straight stitch with inadvertant sideways pressure.

Frankly right now I can't remember which is which but IIRC a singer 20u is a spring machine. I like the 238's
, haven't sewn with the bernina yet.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I bought a cone of E thread from Paragear, but stopped into Joann's again to see if I could find anything comparable while I wait for it to arrive. This is the best I could find(attached picture) I have no idea what these letters and numbers mean except the color code...

I also took some time to practice sewing up a single pant leg of the freefly shorts im going to make so I could figure out how I am going to do the seams and if I got the sizes right. (See Attachment) Hard to see the seams on that design...I know

Little by little...I'm finding rewinding bobbins to be the most annoying lol

And for the machine, I can power through several layers, but I can't go really slowly through it..I have to full throttle the beast or turn it with the wheel. Not a big deal. Like I said, starter machine :]

It's not.wrong to run E/69 thread through a.16 its just.not optimum. It make work.fine on some.materials.but not on others. What forms the.loop.is the.difference in friction on the thread between the needle and the material. One side if the needle has the.long groove and allows the thread to hide in the groove and slide while the needle is coming up in the material. The othe side has a short groove and pinches the thread between the full round needle and the material. This create the loop. If the thread is pinched on the long groove side it won't form the stitch right. Bigger needles have bigger grooves for bigger thread. E thread should need a 18 or 19 but may work in some fabrics in a 16.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Jo Ann's... We have established were the problem is. DO NOT GO IN THERE AGAIN. Do not speak to any of those people. You are not a little old lady building a quilt for your grand child. You're a rigger start acting like one.

Find the person that deals with industrial sewing machines. You'll know the place because it will look like a wear house. It will have rows and rows of bare metal shelves that go all the way to the roof stacked with old heads. Never buy a head younger then you are. There will be table tops stacked on pallets. Piles of old legs and other accoutrements stacked in the corner. And motors stacked in boxes. Thread comes on one pound or half pound spools. Needles come by the hundred. Buy your bobbins by the dozen. And fabric comes on a roll.

There are two worlds in sewing. Those of us that actually build things with REAL sewing machines and... those other people. We do not intermingle. We will help you but you must cut all ties with those other people.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

You're absolutely right. I found that out quick after spending a few minutes in there. Giant store known for it's vast fabric and sewing supplies and the only thing I can use out of all of it are a few #18 needles lol

Now, some more questions as I look through Paragear...
What webbing should I use for backpack/gear bag straps?
Which fabric for backpack/gear bags? (Para-pack Nylon Duck Fabric?)
What is the padding called inside leg-straps?

Thanks in advance!

Shredex

Now, some more questions as I look through Paragear...
What webbing should I use for backpack/gear bag straps?
Which fabric for backpack/gear bags? (Para-pack Nylon Duck Fabric?)
What is the padding called inside leg-straps?

Thanks in advance!

Depends... :P

What type of gearbag? Is the goal of the bag to be light and easy to stash (BASE stashbags) or to be comfortable?

Any of these will work as straps, binding and support tapes or you could look at webbing.
Webbing has higher tensile strenght, but do you need it?

If you use binding and support tape they are probably thinner (I don't mean width). And thin straps tend to fold easier and make it uncomfortable, but you can always use two layers to make it stiffer.