Donica17

Buying a used/starter rig, how old should I go?

I'm more in a saving-money type goal at the moment and looking for a temp starter rig. Currently looking at a 1995 javelin with a 97 spectre 150. I hear Javelins hold up great over time but in general, how old is too old? Condition looks good in pics, unsure how many jumps total on it. Current owner has 300 jumps and 0 reserve rides.

Thoughts? Advice? Much appreciated!!

From purely and age standpoint I would have no problem jumping that rig. It is impossible to tell condition without a complete inspection. The number of jumps the current jumper has on it does not tell me anything useful and I don't trust any oral history of a rig past 1 owner (and sometimes not even then).
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Your profile says you jump at Skydive San Diego. Get yourself into Gravity Gear and ask Bonnie (who posts as GravityGirl on these foums) to help. She'll help you make sure you get something appropriate (size, condition, value, etc.). None of us on the internets can properly evaluate this purchase for you - you're very lucky in that you've got someone like Bonnie who's got years of experience in gear sales and who has helped tons of new jumpers get into the right gear. She has a great reputation for doing right by her customers. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

BigMikeH77

Whatever you do, HAVE IT LOOKED OVER before you buy. If they won't allow an inspection by a reputable rigger at a known DZ, there's a reason - and it's not because they "got burned in the past". :|

^This^ A thousand times this.

Most sellers are honest. Unfortunately, the prices good gear generates entices some people to try and sell "gutter gear" for insane prices.

Most of the honest sellers understand this, and are willing to have the gear inspected.
Personally I won't buy anything without an independent inspection. I wouldn't sell anything without it either.
Having someone else inspect it as a part of the purchase process protects me from any "It showed up and this was misrepresented" claims.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo